Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

New PCN values for Lossie

Please post movements and activities to do with RAF Lossiemouth here
vulcanxl425

New PCN values for Lossie

Post by vulcanxl425 » Fri Feb 12, 2016 10:31 pm

A NOTAM issued today has changed the PCN figures for Lossie.
PCN = Pavement Classification Number
05/23 PCN 45R/B/W/T
10/28 PCN 30R/B/W/T

As far as I understand the various calculations and science here the higher figure shows a runway strength .R represents a Rigid Pavement ( concrete). B is for medium strength sub-grade.W represents Unlimited (No tire pressure limit).T represents that a technical evaluation was carried out.

Aircraft will have different values for landing on runway depending on their all up weight etc and have guides to refer to in this respect .

I assume from these new figures that the main runway is therefore suitable for regular usage by P-8's :S

Hope this is of interest.

Al

onemac

Re: New PCN values for Lossie

Post by onemac » Sat Feb 13, 2016 11:04 am

Thanks for that Al. I would have thought it would be better classifying the taxiways as the P-8's were not allowed on the northern during the last Joint Warrior (not that it stopped them like) :roll:

Still, roll on the construction of the new P-8 hangar :D

Al

Lossie

Post by Lossie » Sat Feb 13, 2016 11:44 am

Al,
Do you know where the P-8 hangar will go and the line they will use. I was presuming would be old 8 Sqn area/now XV(R) Sqn'a area but just guessing.

onemac

Post by onemac » Sat Feb 13, 2016 1:57 pm

Lossie wrote:Al,
Do you know where the P-8 hangar will go and the line they will use. I was presuming would be old 8 Sqn area/now XV(R) Sqn'a area but just guessing.
A bit tongue in cheek about the P-8 hangar ;) They might adapt one of the existing XV (R) Sqn hangars but there is plenty space there for a new one northside (the old bomb dump). Nobody really knows where they will put the P-8's but northside is the best bet.

They are currently building a new engine bay for Rolls Royce to the east of 6 Sqn hangar and of course the new control tower is still under discussion. The new fence is rumoured to be constructed spring or summer this year and II (AC) Sqns new building came in under budget and ahead of schedule :O

Al

grimm6

Post by grimm6 » Sat Feb 13, 2016 4:36 pm

Are the HAS sites used by any of the Squadrons

cfett75

Post by cfett75 » Sat Feb 13, 2016 4:49 pm

onemac wrote: They are currently building a new engine bay for Rolls Royce to the east of 6 Sqn hangar and of course the new control tower is still under discussion.
Al
Al,

The last I heard a the tail end of last year was that the new ATC Tower had been put on hold indefinitely... but as will all things in this business we will onlyrics be sure when it turns up...

Chris
Chris Fett-Worsfold
Web : cfaviationphotography.com
Facebook : CF Aviation Photography

gamecock

Post by gamecock » Sat Feb 13, 2016 4:59 pm

They are currently building a new engine bay for Rolls Royce
About time too... :P
There's a new detuner/hush house going up near 1H as well.
Are the HAS sites used by any of the Squadrons
2 Sqn are in 617's old (southern) site, and QRA occupies some of 12 Sqn's old (northern) site.

Lossie

Post by Lossie » Sat Feb 13, 2016 5:55 pm

I imagine the northern HAS site is a good bet for one of the two new Typhoon sqns due to stand up in a few years.

Jabba

Post by Jabba » Sat Feb 20, 2016 1:15 am

Lossie wrote:Al,
I've heard that K16 & K17 hangars will be levelled. A new hangar and operations centre for the P.8s will be be built in their place and the 15 Sqn line hut will also be replaced.

Lossie

Post by Lossie » Sat Feb 20, 2016 9:00 am

Thanks for the info.

Return to “RAF Lossiemouth”