Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

RAF Lossiemouth - Out of Bounds

Please post movements and activities to do with RAF Lossiemouth here
Duane Hewitt

Re: RAF Lossiemouth - Out of Bounds

Post by Duane Hewitt » Thu Apr 23, 2015 5:50 pm

Saw a broken fence post last year near to the 05 threshold, then the next day a new one appeared with a bloke using the gap to slip a tripod leg through it. Unreal. Just for that extra foot closer with your tripod. It's more the fact that folk do it with little care that it will eventually impact everyone that annoys me. Lossie enjoys amazing unrestricted viewing, but sooner or later they can quite easily make that more difficult for everyone.

Punkrunner62

Post by Punkrunner62 » Thu Apr 23, 2015 5:57 pm

This has happened for a long time,nearly every exercise if they are using 05 some Twats are walking across the field despite being politely asked not to and explained why.
you just wonder about some peoples mentality.It just spoils it for the Locals and any other visitor.Cheers.

Nnthusiast

Post by Nnthusiast » Thu Apr 23, 2015 7:01 pm

Well it was my first visit ever on Tuesday and Wednesday and it was wonderful.
What a great airfield for taking pictures at.

I was at the sea end for most of Tuesday but went down for the Helo's and touch and goes / breaks etc.
I parked just inside the field and walked over to the corner. I'm sorry if I shouldn't have and formally apologise as I thought this was a fallow field and ok to walk on, but I hold my hand up now.
If I've done wrong, please let me know and by way of atonement I'll donate something to the RAFBF this week.

On Wednesday I stayed the sea end, because quite simply I wasn't sure about viewing the other end and didn't want, as a visitor, to muck things up for anyone. I got some great heat haze and taxi shots which was a bonus though.

Will I return? I'd love to providing I don't make any silly mistakes in parking and I'll ask those in the know here first, to ensure I stay 'legal'.

Cheers and Hello to all I met.
Dave from Liverpool

graeme923

Post by graeme923 » Thu Apr 23, 2015 7:12 pm

Well said Al, as usual one or two people who dont care about the guys who are here all the time just so they can get their shots mess it up,I have heard that there is plans afoot to spoil the view.

Steven211191

Post by Steven211191 » Thu Apr 23, 2015 7:14 pm

Welcome Dave!

Hats off to you for admitting it was done as I doubt there would be one more to follow in your footsteps (not just the ones in the field) :P

I believe most places are okay to park and stand as long as the track next to the golf course is not blocked and enough space left to turn at the end.

Down the bottom end as long as you don't walk through any fields that's not set aside then I'd say you'll be perfect.

Oh and no standing under the approach either as I believe some incidents happened this pass few weeks.

Hopefully see you up there sometime in the future

Steven

Nikon D3200
Nikon 18-55mm Auto focus
Nikon 70-300mm Manual Focus
Uniden Bearcat 125XLT

Phil H

Post by Phil H » Thu Apr 23, 2015 7:15 pm

Well said Al. I have to agree.

Although I am not a local, I have been visiting RAF Lossiemouth, both on and off base, regularly, for over thirty-five years.

Many, so called, 'Aviation Enthusiasts', visiting the 23 end, now seem to just abandon their vehicles and an ever increasing number seem to want to play 'Russian Roulette' at the approach fence. At the 05 end, there is absolutely no need to cross fields in crop - anyone with a lens of over 200mm can easily get close-ups from the public road. The past few years have seen a massive increase in 'Aviation Enthusiasts' who have no respect for others - they ARE NOT true Aviation Enthusiasts.

RAF Lossiemouth has always been renowned for being accessible to photographers and for its tolerance of them, but a FEW can very easily spoil it for the MANY and especially for the locals, who have worked hard to foster good relations with the base and the farming community.
Last edited by Phil H on Thu Apr 23, 2015 8:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
' Lift me up where I belong - where the eagles fly '

Steven211191

Post by Steven211191 » Thu Apr 23, 2015 7:19 pm

I'm not as regular as majority or as much as I'd like to be because of location.

But.... Would there be a point to contact the farm and Base explaining what has been said throughout this forum and things by Admin or moderators? Maybe just to show that the majority is trying to keep everyone in the right?

Maybe help the case a little so that we can continue to get accessible photos while sticking to the correct rules?

Just a thought.

Steven

Nikon D3200
Nikon 18-55mm Auto focus
Uniden Bearcat 125XLT

rusty1

Post by rusty1 » Thu Apr 23, 2015 7:46 pm

Well said onemac. I believe the farmer was ok with parking in the field with the straw bales to go to the choppers as long as you LEFT YOUR CAR AT THE GATE and did not drive over the field. Any visitors not sure where to go just ask a local (may be difficult to understand ) LOL

onemac

Post by onemac » Thu Apr 23, 2015 8:59 pm

Nnthusiast wrote:Well it was my first visit ever on Tuesday and Wednesday and it was wonderful.
What a great airfield for taking pictures at.

I was at the sea end for most of Tuesday but went down for the Helo's and touch and goes / breaks etc.
I parked just inside the field and walked over to the corner. I'm sorry if I shouldn't have and formally apologise as I thought this was a fallow field and ok to walk on, but I hold my hand up now.
If I've done wrong, please let me know and by way of atonement I'll donate something to the RAFBF this week.

On Wednesday I stayed the sea end, because quite simply I wasn't sure about viewing the other end and didn't want, as a visitor, to muck things up for anyone. I got some great heat haze and taxi shots which was a bonus though.

Will I return? I'd love to providing I don't make any silly mistakes in parking and I'll ask those in the know here first, to ensure I stay 'legal'.

Cheers and Hello to all I met.
Dave from Liverpool
Dave - no problems with the fallow field as the farmer still has to collect the bales and has even started a poo heap. We spoke to him the other week and he said it was ok to park there so no indiscretions on your part. You will be most welcome back at lossie and I urge you to get in contact with me anytime and I'll be happy to show you round - not only the safe parking areas but the best places to get the top pics at various times of the day. Thanks for your thoughtfulness and consideration.

Al

graeme923

Post by graeme923 » Thu Apr 23, 2015 9:00 pm

Well said Al shame that someone always has to spoil things.

Trevster

Post by Trevster » Fri Apr 24, 2015 5:45 pm

Well said Al. Although I only get up once or twice a year from the central belt, we're all exceptionally lucky to have the access around the RAF bases that we do - you should try some of the jobsworths around EDI and GLA when you pull your RPG launcher, sorry, camera out to snap civi aircraft (that's no joke BTW, armed police were called at EDI one day!). The opportunities we're blessed with at places like Lossie should never be taken for granted, although the few who do...

Dave, hats off for putting yourself out there for the potential 'naughty step'. Will others...

mustang5861

Post by mustang5861 » Fri Apr 24, 2015 8:46 pm

1) I agree with everything onemac said.

2) Post the darn photos – and if you look at them and recognise anyone in them, have a word in their ear because...

3) …here’s how (some of) the numpty-heeds doing the field-walking ‘think’: if there isn’t a sign telling them not to do it, and if they can’t see a crop of wheat, barley or whatever in full growth, they’ll tramp across without the slightest consideration for the farmer or the local spotters, and lie to your face about supposedly not having done it. It is the epitome of the selfishness that is all too prevalent in today’s ‘I’m all right, Jack; fcuk the rest of you’ society.

4) Be aware: It Will Happen Again, likely this summer when the holidaymakers decide on having a ‘bit of fun’ at the base by larking about in the undershoot and standing on the fences – cue ATC having to abort more landings because of the danger/distraction caused by these eejits. That’s assuming the farmer and/or the base haven’t taken steps before then – and there’s a growing crop to protect, so something might happen a lot sooner rather than later. There’s coming a time when the phrase ‘enough is enough’ is going to be the justification for actions that will adversely (and likely permanently) affect the local enthusiasts.

5) A suggestion for the Runway 05 end: while we are all agreed that what has happened is unacceptable, would it be worth considering doing something practical that a) might make some of the plumbags think twice before they start field-walking; and b) might build up some goodwill with the farmer by showing him that the local enthusiasts are as pee'ed off about what’s been going on as he no doubt is? How about making or buying a couple of signs with a clearly worded message that the field is not to be walked across at any point because there’s a crop in? They could be positioned at ‘strategic’ points at the edge of the field, so that nobody could plead ignorance as to their ‘right to roam’. Perhaps liaising with the farmer as to wording he is happy with, and making it clear that the local enthusiasts would like to do something practical to help protect his land – because that’s what it comes down to – would be seen as a positive and practical move on his behalf. Those signs could then be used again in future, e.g. future JW exercises, at whatever field(s) and crops might be at threat.

6) Feel free to tell me I’m talking shtie if you like; but back it up with an equally or more practical suggestion, because words of outrage – and I don’t doubt the sincerity of anyone who has posted on this thread – are no longer enough. If nothing is done by us (the enthusiasts, spotters, whatever title you like), it will be the RAF, MoD and Police Scotland who will act – and when that happens, an opportunity will have been missed and lost.

7) I hope all of the responsible enthusiasts who spent time at the base for JW 15-1 had good weather and a really good time. Lossie was my ‘local’ when I was knee-high to a low knee, as it was for my dad back in the 1950s; the thought that some of the fantastic viewpoints could be blocked out, and all as a result of the idiotic actions of some of those in our ‘community’, fills me equally with feelings of foreboding and shame.

M

PS: New addition to the list of collective nouns: a Clarkson of field-walkers…!

Steven211191

Post by Steven211191 » Fri Apr 24, 2015 9:18 pm

Agreed to above post.

Now I'm not a regular but happy to come and help out if need be. Also if the signs is a good option and are allowed to do this.

I happen to make signs quite often for house names and other bits and pieces. Can provide pictures aswell. Obviously nothing fancy but something that stands out. I'd happily do a couple and meet some regulars to put them in place?

Seems a fairly good idea depending on farmers opinion and of other people on here?

If some regular/s want to sort something out I can show some previous work and move forward.

My dad loves woodworking aswell so will be done in half the time :)

Steven

Nikon D3200
Nikon 18-55mm Auto focus
Uniden Bearcat 125XLT

onemac

Post by onemac » Fri Apr 24, 2015 9:27 pm

'DANGER LAND MINES' is the clear favourite for a sign at the moment although the odds are shortening on 'FREE DRINKS AT THE FARMHOUSE'. :unsure:

Al

Steven211191

Post by Steven211191 » Fri Apr 24, 2015 11:08 pm

How about, 'DO NOT WALK ON THE ******* FIELD'

Just replace the * with choice letters. Seems a good idea.

Or ... Trespassers will be shot, survivors will be shot again. :P

Steven

Nikon D3200
Nikon 18-55mm Auto focus
Uniden Bearcat 125XLT

Sky Pirate

Post by Sky Pirate » Sat Apr 25, 2015 1:10 pm

Well said (Al), :ninja: PC Cardamom.....

Nnthusiast

Post by Nnthusiast » Sun Apr 26, 2015 8:52 am

Hi guys,

Thanks for the reassurance and kind words, plus the great offer of advising me of locations etc. its one i will take you up on later in the year :D

I'm not sure i'm breaking any rules here but i've uploaded a few (200 or so, so far) pictures from last week to the military aircraft section of my zenfolio site and if anyone is interested they can take a look at this address? http://davejonesphotography.zenfolio.com/p779894541

Cheers
Dave

Typhoon06

Post by Typhoon06 » Sun Apr 26, 2015 11:24 am

I'm not a regular to Lossiemouth but is it okay to stand on the road/ grass verge behind RW05 and get photos from there?

Steven211191

Post by Steven211191 » Sun Apr 26, 2015 11:26 am

I'm guessing you mean at the junction? Next to the water building I think? Red and white building?

Nikon D3200
Nikon 18-55mm Auto focus
Uniden Bearcat 125XLT

Typhoon06

Post by Typhoon06 » Sun Apr 26, 2015 11:28 am

Yeah that's the spot just at the bit that's fenced off.

Return to “RAF Lossiemouth”