Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Warton's very own security staff on the outside(SOCAP)

Please post movements and activities to do with Warton Aerodrome here
Post Reply
johnhowe
Posts: 2248
Joined: Thu Oct 08, 2009 8:02 pm

Warton's very own security staff on the outside(SOCAP)

Post by johnhowe » Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:32 pm

This is really for Tim (Tarnish9) if any of the regulars see or hear anything of a suspicious nature we always either call security or visit the main gate.

viewtopic.php?f=287&t=157785
Last edited by johnhowe on Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Tarnish9
Posts: 60
Joined: Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:42 pm

Re: Warton's very own security staff on the outside.

Post by Tarnish9 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:56 am

Cheers Frank.

Not just for me pal, we all need to be vigilant these days. I have experienced at RAF Valley 2 years ago the base Police collar a man and his family for taking pictures on various parts of the airfield. His camera was looked over then he was told to leave the spotters car park straight away.

Keep your eyes open people, but at the same time enjoy what we all love and that is aviation be it military or civil spotting :thumb:

User avatar
TombsRIP
Posts: 492
Joined: Thu Aug 28, 2014 4:43 pm
Location: Lytham St.Annes

Re: Warton's very own security staff on the outside.

Post by TombsRIP » Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:20 pm

Tarnish9 wrote:Cheers Frank.

Not just for me pal, we all need to be vigilant these days. I have experienced at RAF Valley 2 years ago the base Police collar a man and his family for taking pictures on various parts of the airfield. His camera was looked over then he was told to leave the spotters car park straight away.

Keep your eyes open people, but at the same time enjoy what we all love and that is aviation be it military or civil spotting :thumb:
Presumably not during one of the Valley Avn Soc (VAS) photocalls! If actually ON the airfield but eg. outside the Photocall area, then not surprised although if you walk along the "families beach" the perimeter fence of the base is buried in sand dunes in places so you technically could be trespassing. Valley used to be my local base where I started my hobby in mid 1970s. In all those years never had any issues photographing aircraft! That so-called spotters (visitors) carpark near the railway bridge and main entrance is where the VAS have a portakabin (shop). One thing they tend to discourage are people crossing the fairly busy road to take photos of ac taxying out for rwy 19 (cross rwy) when active. A fairly large wooden fence had now been erected along that stretch I noticed recently.
Happy amd vigilant spotting!

User avatar
Tarnish9
Posts: 60
Joined: Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:42 pm

Re: Warton's very own security staff on the outside.

Post by Tarnish9 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:18 pm

Hello and good evening Mr Tombs.

How can I put this politely without upsetting the few. The guy had one of them big beards just like Osama Binladen and same head gear. He had been spotted around the rear of the base where the Sea Rescue helicopter used to be based. Not only there he was on camera at other areas of the field. He might have been genuine but they took no chances and was onto him promptly.

I know the perimeter fence on the dunes, a group of us go there on Family Day and will probably do the same again this year. You are correct with the perimeter fence it is still the same today. There is a crash gate in that area where you can get fantastic pictures when they are using Runway 19. I know Dave Lattimer who runs the VAS shop, another great fellow, always pop in to see him when I am over there. RAF Valley is another of my favourites, seen plenty going on through the day and it is regular to have something drop in on a day.

Thanks pal :)

johnhowe
Posts: 2248
Joined: Thu Oct 08, 2009 8:02 pm

Re: Warton's very own security staff on the outside.

Post by johnhowe » Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:05 pm

Hi Tim, I use to be a member of VAS and spent many happy hours on and off the base. Just in case any spotters who have not been to Valley there is a hidden menace lurking in the sand dunes, I'm referring to snakes not the grass ones but the adders who like the sun as much as we do.

https://www.arkive.org/adder/vipera-berus/
https://www.dailypost.co.uk/whats-on/sn ... r-12973828
Last edited by johnhowe on Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
TombsRIP
Posts: 492
Joined: Thu Aug 28, 2014 4:43 pm
Location: Lytham St.Annes

Re: Warton's very own security staff on the outside.

Post by TombsRIP » Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:44 am

johnhowe wrote:Hi Tim, I use to be a member of VAS and spent many happy hours on and off the base. Just in case any spotters who have not been to Valley there is a hidden menace lurking in the sand dunes, I'm referring to snakes not the grass ones but the adders who like the sun as much as we do.

https://www.arkive.org/adder/vipera-berus/
In all the years Ive trodden around RAF Valley perimeter and through plenty of gorse thickets Ive never seen an adder. Seen plenty of human "reptiles" incl "snakes" but never lucky (or unlucky) enough to see any "sunbathing". If you make enough of a vibration and forewarn them guess they move quickly unless they are still abit slow if still cold. This thread is turning into an edition of Natural World...seen lots of interesting birds and dragonflies. Ill keep looking for those adders...
Last edited by TombsRIP on Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

johnhowe
Posts: 2248
Joined: Thu Oct 08, 2009 8:02 pm

Re: Warton's very own security staff on the outside.

Post by johnhowe » Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:07 am

TombsRIP wrote:
johnhowe wrote:Hi Tim, I use to be a member of VAS and spent many happy hours on and off the base. Just in case any spotters who have not been to Valley there is a hidden menace lurking in the sand dunes, I'm referring to snakes not the grass ones but the adders who like the sun as much as we do.

https://www.arkive.org/adder/vipera-berus/
In all the years Ive trodden around RAF Valley perimeter and through plenty of gorse thickets Ive never seen an adder. Seen plenty of human "reptiles" incl "snakes" but never lucky (or unlucky) enough to see any "sunbathing". If you make enough of a vibration and forewarn them guess they move quickly unless they are still abit slow if still cold. This thread is turning into an addition of Natural World...seen lots of interesting birds and dragonflies. Ill keep looking for those adders...
I agree Martin, Lets get back to the most important issue, Security at Warton, nothing more nothing less.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... d-by-socap Trespass on Military bases.

Post Reply

Return to “Warton Aerodrome”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests