Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Excellent Xmas Presents for Warton fans of Phantom's

Please post movements and activities to do with Warton Aerodrome here
johnhowe

Excellent Xmas Presents for Warton fans of Phantom's

Post by johnhowe » Mon Nov 28, 2016 5:12 pm

I've recently moved from Lancashire and are now living on the Wirral under the flight path into John Lennon Airport I'm already sick of seeing orange 737s. to help me adjust from military aircraft to civvy types a friend of mine has bought me TESTING TORNADO by David Eagles. It is a fantastic book and concentrates on when David
was Chief Test Pilot at Warton.

It is possible to obtain this book on Amazon or other net cites it is priced at £16.99p ISBN 9 780750 968416 http://www.the history press.co.uk

To add to Santa's Lists I've recently purchased a number of Boys books Lightning Boys 1 & 2 by Richard Pike Vulcan Boys By Tony Blackman and last but not least

Tornado Boys by Ian Hall fantastic tales by those pilots who flew in both Gulf Wars, The Red Flag exercises show up the tornado to its full potential.
Last edited by johnhowe on Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:17 am, edited 9 times in total.

David Thompson

Re: Excellent Xmas Present especially for Warton fans.

Post by David Thompson » Mon Nov 28, 2016 5:27 pm

The 'Testing Tornado' book link above is broken , hope this works ? ;
http://www.thehistorypress.co.uk/public ... 750968416/
Youth is wasted on the young !

Mark

Post by Mark » Mon Nov 28, 2016 9:26 pm

Are you stalking me Mr Howe??? Only joking, we do get the occasional fast jet coming down the river from time to time. Which part of the Wirral are you? I'm across the water in Waterloo.
Cameraless

deerhunter

Post by deerhunter » Tue Nov 29, 2016 9:40 am

I used to play rugby at Waterloo
Canon 5D Mk4 plus long lenses, and lots of hope!

GRIM REAPERS SUPPORTER

Blackcat1

Post by Blackcat1 » Tue Nov 29, 2016 6:08 pm

Jaguar boys is also a good book.
Gareth

6 Sqdn Canopeners
Oculi exercitus
Blackcats remembered
Jaguar Force Excellance! 2nd July 07.

Mark

Post by Mark » Tue Nov 29, 2016 9:44 pm

deerhunter wrote:I used to play rugby at Waterloo

Hah, small world!!
Cameraless

johnhowe

Post by johnhowe » Wed Nov 30, 2016 1:03 pm

Mark wrote:Are you stalking me Mr Howe??? Only joking, we do get the occasional fast jet coming down the river from time to time. Which part of the Wirral are you? I'm across the water in Waterloo.
Hi Mark, I'm now living in Wallasey very close to the beacon. I've now got to chapter 18 of Tornado Boys this chapter has been written by Squadron Leader Rob McCarthy and is entitled DESERT TORNADOS, it gives a good insight into what part the Tornado has achieved in The Royal Saudi Air force. On page 171 there is a group
photograph with Rob McCarthy and Contract Pilots one of whom bears a striking resemblance to a certain Jet 2 Captain, is this you ? (Martin)

johnhowe

Excellent Xmas Present especially for Warton & Tornado fans

Post by johnhowe » Thu Dec 01, 2016 11:42 am

Just to whet your appetite the penultimate chapter, number 19 is about current Ops in Afghanistan seen through the eyes of a GR 4 Tornado female pilot and gives
graphic descriptions of Show of Forces for the army under attack both in the daytime and at night.

On one particular exercise my formation all found it amusing when my navigator and I successfully shot down (simulated) an American F-15 we never got a chance to debrief them as they didn't make contact after the sortie. We weren't sure whether that was because two girls or a mud mover had shot them down.

johnhowe

Excellent Xmas Present for Warton Jaguar + Tornado fans

Post by johnhowe » Thu Dec 22, 2016 9:08 am

I should retitle this thread as excellent books for boys at any time, I've really got the bug having recently purchased Valiant Boys, Victor Boys all priced at £20.00p I obtain my books from Plackitt & Booth 87c Clifton Street, Lytham St Annes 01253. 796 958.

johnhowe

Excellent Xmas Presents for Warton Jaguar + Tornado fans

Post by johnhowe » Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:29 am

Another excellent Xmas present is Andrew Brookes " Canberra boys " Published By Grub Street in 2017 over 200 pages 27 chapters
The first chapter is how the Canberra was designed and features English Electric and the various personell involved. It is price at £20.00p.

Whilst on the way to collect the book by chance I went to Granvilles Gate and met up with Steve I had been there for ten minutes
and to my great delight a Royal Omani Typhoon taxied out from the north side actually turned at Granvilles Gate revved up the EJ
200s to mil power engaged the afterburners (Reheat) and after 8 seconds rotated and climbed away into the gathering precipitation
that was cloaking the airfield.

Back to Xmas Presents I have ordered Victor Boys and Harrier Boys 1 & 2 when I collect them I will post the details.

johnhowe

Excellent Xmas Present Jaguar Tornado Victor

Post by johnhowe » Sat Dec 09, 2017 4:17 pm

johnhowe wrote:Another excellent Xmas present is Andrew Brookes " Canberra boys " Published By Grub Street in 2017 over 200 pages 27 chapters
The first chapter is how the Canberra was designed and features English Electric and the various personell involved. It is price at £20.00p.

Whilst on the way to collect the book by chance I went to Granvilles Gate and met up with Steve I had been there for ten minutes
and to my great delight a Royal Omani Typhoon taxied out from the north side actually turned at Granvilles Gate revved up the EJ
200s to mil power engaged the afterburners (Reheat) and after 8 seconds rotated and climbed away into the gathering precipitation
that was cloaking the airfield.

Back to Xmas Presents I have ordered Victor Boys and Harrier Boys 1 & 2 when I collect them I will post the details.
In early December I managed to purchase "Victor Boys" by Tony Blackman. what a fascinating read I was surprised to read that Victors regularly flew through the sound barrier although it was mainly done by the manufacturers test pilots as service pilots were prohibited from posting sonic booms.

"Victor Boys" is superbly written with a wealth of stories.

"Harrier Boys" by Bob Marston Volume one Cold War through to The Falklands 1969 - 1990 is again another superb read with 18 chapters it is interesting to note there are contributions from two Chiefs of the Air Staff
five Air Vice Marshalls and Air Commodores and Group Captains.

A word of caution I ordered my copies of Harrier 1 & 2 in October Harrier 2 was readily available but Harrier One wasn't this may have had something to do with the wholesalers that my booksellers use.

Its very interesting to read what our service pilots get up to when flying, perhaps there maybe members of Fighter Control who could afford to emulate them http://www.boultbeeflightacademy.co.uk/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zMPrOE3Wpc
Last edited by johnhowe on Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.

roughcutter

Re: Excellent Xmas Presents for Warton Fans of Harrier/Light

Post by roughcutter » Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:40 pm

AndrewBarclay

Re: Excellent Xmas Presents for Warton Fans of Harrier/Light

Post by AndrewBarclay » Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:03 am

Thanks for pasting onto my original thread with all these other interesting reviews of Aviation Books. Frank)

viewtopic.php?f=287&t=39934 Lots more added.

johnhowe

Excellent Xmas Presents for Warton Fans of Phantoms.

Post by johnhowe » Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:13 am

I have the full selection of Boys Book's I've read all of them at least twice, but I have to say Phantom Book One was good but Phantom Book 2 is oustanding to give you a flavour read http://www.historynet.com/pardos-push-a ... anship.htm

johnhowe

Re: Excellent Xmas Presents for Warton Fans of Phantoms.

Post by johnhowe » Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:19 am

johnhowe wrote:I have the full selection of Boys Book's I've read all of them at least twice, but I have to say Phantom Book One was good but Phantom Book 2 is oustanding to give you a flavour read http://www.historynet.com/pardos-push-a ... anship.htm
Although the title is Phantom Boys volume 2 Chapter 4 is about Fl Lt Penny Smith Fighter Controller, her exploits include an
an hours flight in the back seat of a phantom, she had lots of other exciting experiences.

TombsRIP

Re: Excellent Xmas Presents for Warton fans of Phantom's

Post by TombsRIP » Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:12 am

Hi John,

So you're now a "plastic Scouser" on the posh side of the Mersey (Birkenhead excl). Thought you had joined the Cheshire set with Manch as your local patch. Dont forget the Wizz and Blue Airs which are scheduled into LJL plus endless ryanairs and occasionally interesting cargo and biz stuff.
You are nearer to Hawarden I suspect so plenty of biz and light aviation stuff to get your teeth into plus of course the daily Beluga flts and occasional Sentinel movement. Plus the ex mil "soviet" types still there albeit seen better days. Think some Strikemasters still based otherwise moved.
I dont need to get any of above books now after reading your posts!
Here's a few W&R's in your neighbourhood to keep you busy instead of daily fest of easyJets & ryanairs...courtesy of excellent Demobbed website (WAG):
http://www.demobbed.org.uk/locations.ph ... y_state=30
(in particular remains of Scout just fitting somebody's drive in Prenton area! Perhaps that was somebody's Christmas present!! All it needs is some tinsel wrapped around the cockpit stringers :thumbs:
Plus Hawarden (in particular pres Tonka there...) ;
http://www.demobbed.org.uk/locations.php?location=1598

Happy H(a)unting, cheers MG

johnhowe

Post by johnhowe » Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:19 pm

TombsRIP wrote:Hi John,

So you're now a "plastic Scouser" on the posh side of the Mersey (Birkenhead excl). Thought you had joined the Cheshire set with Manch as your local patch. Dont forget the Wizz and Blue Airs which are scheduled into LJL plus endless ryanairs and occasionally interesting cargo and biz stuff.
You are nearer to Hawarden I suspect so plenty of biz and light aviation stuff to get your teeth into plus of course the daily Beluga flts and occasional Sentinel movement. Plus the ex mil "soviet" types still there albeit seen better days. Think some Strikemasters still based otherwise moved.
I dont need to get any of above books now after reading your posts!
Here's a few W&R's in your neighbourhood to keep you busy instead of daily fest of easyJets & ryanairs...courtesy of excellent Demobbed website (WAG):
http://www.demobbed.org.uk/locations.ph ... y_state=30
(in particular remains of Scout just fitting somebody's drive in Prenton area! Perhaps that was somebody's Christmas present!! All it needs is some tinsel wrapped around the cockpit stringers :thumbs:
Plus Hawarden (in particular pres Tonka there...) ;
http://www.demobbed.org.uk/locations.php?location=1598

Happy H(a)unting, cheers MG
Hello ther'e Wack thanks for the kind words and the info I've seen a couple of Whales flying over Wales with Airbus Wings.

TombsRIP

Post by TombsRIP » Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:33 pm

Wait for the replacement "blue whales" (Beluga XL's) which are being assembled now to replace the Belugas...

Cheers Wack

AndrewBarclay

Excellent Present for fans of Helicopters.

Post by AndrewBarclay » Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:52 am

Former Lightning Pilot Richard Pike, is as you know the author of many
Grub Street titles in the Boy's series. His latest is Helicopter Boys. True
Tales from the operators of military and civilian rotorcraft.

The first Chapter is Richard Pike's introduction to North Sea helicopter
flying.

There follows 21 chapters, Chinook Down, Piper Alpha, Falklands Feats
and an absolutely enthralling chapter on troop insertions into Otterburn
and firing at targets at Donna Nook.

My reason for including this on the Warton thread is that there are
numerous helicopter movements some Royal some civvie and a lot
of military who use Warton for refuelling.

chrisov

Post by chrisov » Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:58 am

Probably alreadt know but several of the xxxx boys books can be found in the Works shop or online for about £7 each.

Return to “Warton Aerodrome”