Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Durham Tees Valley Airport Area

Forum rules
Guildelines for the use of this section have been released, please see them here - http://www.fightercontrol.co.uk/forum/v ... 54#p690454

This notice will be left in place for a short time so that everyone is aware
Csw84

Durham Tees Valley Airport Area

Post by Csw84 » Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:23 pm

Hi, (just signed up)

After noticing some planes in the sky that looked like they had missiles (I've later learned they were Dassault Falcon 20s operated by Cobham Aviation that train fighter jets) it's got me taking more notice what I see in the sky.

So, the other week a Hercules looking plane went over and immediately I knew it wasn't due to noticing the tail being like that of a Boeing c17 (after looking about, it was an Airbus Atlas, which I didn't know existed) and every time it went over it had a red light on under it's fusalage (and that was in the day time) but it came over last Thursday and it just had a stereotypical white light on and this time it was at night.

My query is, what's the red light indicate on aircraft, because I've often thought it was military, e.g. everytime I've seen a fighter jet, it's had a red light on at night but considering it wasn't on with the Atlas when I saw it at night time, it got me thinking.

Another thing - The twin prop Beechcraft King Air 350, that Cobham Aviation operate, accompanied a jet fighter at night time when I saw it a week ago and then immediately turned a red light on when it was side by side.

So, again, is it possible you can tell me the reason for the red light?

Many thanks.

FergiZA600

Re: Durham Tees Valley Airport Area

Post by FergiZA600 » Sun Nov 11, 2018 11:13 pm

Not sure off hand but think the Red light is a navigation light, but maybe wrong.

Andy_99

Post by Andy_99 » Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:39 pm

Atlas' are fairly frequent visitors to the area, they do a lot of practice diversion work at Newcastle Airport. Frequently hearing the distinct growl of them recently.

Not sure on the lights front though.

Csw84

Post by Csw84 » Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:52 pm

Thanks for the responses.

Certainly would like to find out, the Cobhams' and jet fighters were out again last night and the fighters had red lights on and the Cobhams' didn't.

Could you tell me what ''practice diversion'' is, Andy?

Thanks again.

bizfreeq

Post by bizfreeq » Tue Nov 13, 2018 2:37 pm

This may help re the anti collision and nav lights question

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q ... 5n3m-4HcI4
Cheers
Mark

If our airforces are never used, they have achieved their finest goal.
— General Nathan F. Twining

tony54321

Post by tony54321 » Tue Nov 13, 2018 2:58 pm

There's an interesting article by Tim Robinson explaining what the Cobham jets are doing.
https://www.aerosociety.com/news/flying ... dark-side/

Csw84

Post by Csw84 » Tue Nov 13, 2018 4:16 pm

Thanks for the link, biz. But I can't seem to fathom why it's not consistent, for example the Atlas at night time didn't have the red light on as One would expect.

That's some in depth wrighting about the Cobhams', Tony!

It's nice to know they train Royal Navy ships. I already knew that the Beechcraft King they operate did Rear Vew Training, however, the one in the Tees valley area does mapping services of some sort if I recall.

Since the late nights, they seem to be practicing at night. For example, normally I'd see Two together fly over, maybe Three to Four as well individually,
through the day. However, lately, I might see Two individually through the day and then most of them at night - I've yet to see any as I wright this. Probably a busy night tonight unless it's a day off. Another thing, they were out this previous Sunday evening -which I've never seen before - maybe something to do with Remeberance Sunday?

Again thanks.

ARFA2

Post by ARFA2 » Tue Nov 13, 2018 6:39 pm

The Cobham aircraft do range training for the RAF.Apparently the red lights on the 100squdron Hawks from Leeming indicate they've been "hit".

Csw84

Post by Csw84 » Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:57 pm

They were out again tonight and the Typhoon had the usual red lights on but also a green One for the first time that I've seen.

He was making some noises I must say.

So, am I right in thinking if I see red and indeed green lights, it's anti-collision?

100arw

Post by 100arw » Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:36 pm

See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Navigation_light

In particular:

"Aircraft external lights are any light fitted to the exterior of an aircraft.[3] They are usually used to increase visibility to others, and to signal actions such as entering an active runway or starting up an engine. Historically, incandescent bulbs have been used to provide light, however recently Light-emitting diodes have been used.

Aircraft navigation lights are placed in a way similar to that of marine vessels, with a red navigation light located on the left wingtip leading edge and a green light on the right wingtip leading edge. A white navigation light is as far aft as possible on the tail or each wing tip.[4] High-intensity strobe lights are located on the aircraft to aid in collision avoidance.[5] Anti-collision lights are flashing lights on the top and bottom of the fuselage, wingtips and tail tip. Their purpose is to alert others when something is happening that ground crew and other aircraft need to be aware of, such as running engines or entering active runways.

In civil aviation, pilots must keep navigation lights on from sunset to sunrise. High-intensity white strobe lights are part of the anti-collision light system, as well as the red rotating beacon."

P.

Csw84

Post by Csw84 » Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:51 pm

Well that explains the red light when approaching an airport I gather but why does it go on when for example a Typhoon is doing training with a Cobham and the Cobham doesn't?

100arw

Post by 100arw » Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:56 am

Sorry, cant help with that as it has never happened whilst have seen them.

SCARECROW

Post by SCARECROW » Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:17 am

Aircraft always have they lights on red/green even during the day, just easily seen at night.

Csw84

Post by Csw84 » Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:12 pm

100arw wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:56 am
Sorry, cant help with that as it has never happened whilst have seen them.
Not even a guess?
SCARECROW wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:17 am
Aircraft always have they lights on red/green even during the day, just easily seen at night.
I know that... My whole initial post was/has been about the discrepancy that of the red light that I've noticed from time to time, however, biz and arw seem to have proven when I do see it, it seem when the aircraft is in line with airport they're approaching, but not when I've mentioned the Typhoon and King Air 350

100arw

Post by 100arw » Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:29 pm

I'm beginning to think this is a wind up :-)

TB1

Post by TB1 » Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:32 pm

Gotta be.

Return to “Northern England”