Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

More flying at Wittering.......

Please post movements and activities to do with RAF Wittering & RAF Cottesmore here
romeo bravo

More flying at Wittering.......

Post by romeo bravo » Mon Mar 25, 2013 5:48 pm

Announced today in IBN No 10/13 -

Due to the significant running costs associated with maintenance of an operational airfield at RAF Wyton, it has been decided to relocate the flying units based there: No 57(R) Squadron who undertake Elementary Flying Training (EFT), Cambridge and London University Air Squadrons (UAS) and No. 5 Air Experience Flight (AEF). The opportunity has been taken to rationalise other light aircraft flying tasks in the region to achieve a more coherent division. As a result moves are also planned for East Midlands Universities Air Squadron and No 115(R) Squadron who are currently based at RAF Cranwell to relocate to RAF Wittering. It is planned to concentrate UAS and AEF flying at RAF Wittering, with EFT conducted at RAF Cranwell, rather than a mix of both at each station. This will provide more efficient use of manpower and assets and deliver better value for money for the taxpayer. By the Summer of 2013, No 57(R) Squadron will relocate from RAF Wyton to RAF Cranwell. Relocation of units to RAF Wittering is planned by mid 2014 once preparatory work has been completed.

das

Re: More flying at Wittering.......

Post by das » Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:18 pm

what utter rubbish by the MOD, this is purely so they can justify keeping Wittering (because of the silly rules re: handing it back) and so the Airfield at Wyton can become a housing estate for all the fat cat London & Cambridge commuters to live cheep! :grr:

Ray

tommc

Post by tommc » Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:15 pm

das wrote:what utter rubbish by the MOD, this is purely so they can justify keeping Wittering (because of the silly rules re: handing it back) and so the Airfield at Wyton can become a housing estate for all the fat cat London & Cambridge commuters to live cheep! :grr:

Ray
I thought it was recently announced that there was an Army unit moving in.

Unknown74

Post by Unknown74 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:42 am

Shame Wittering wasn't the chosen base for F-35. Could also say the same for Cottesmore........

romeo bravo

Post by romeo bravo » Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:48 pm

tommc wrote:
das wrote:what utter rubbish by the MOD, this is purely so they can justify keeping Wittering (because of the silly rules re: handing it back) and so the Airfield at Wyton can become a housing estate for all the fat cat London & Cambridge commuters to live cheep! :grr:

Ray
I thought it was recently announced that there was an Army unit moving in.
Army are moving in, in the form of Joint Forces Command and the Intel Community; but no flying units.

So what are the arguments between Wyton and Wittering Das??

Pen Pusher

Post by Pen Pusher » Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:04 pm

Ray
Turning the airfield at Wyton into housing was part of the greater scheme of things when I moved back down here in 1995. Nothing new then.

Brian

cottesmore09

Post by cottesmore09 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:04 pm

I maybe a little one sided here, but why the hell did they close a perfectly good airbase that was RAF Cottesmore, which most people would agree was one of the best spotting bases and of a very good size for any use. Cottesmore would have been ready to use with hardly any work done on it, but now they just decided to turn round and have to put so much money into improving Wittering when they could have used that for Army use and kept Cottesmore maintained.

Some may agree with me and some may not but thats my opinion, atleast there is some sort of activity taking place localy.

cheers,
Cott09
RAF Families days website: www.raf-families-days.webs.com

2017 Airshows
RIAT (FRIAT Mach3)
Clacton Airshow
Scampton airshow Arrivals

romeo bravo

Post by romeo bravo » Sat Mar 30, 2013 7:50 pm

cottesmore09 wrote:...but now they just decided to turn round and have to put so much money into improving Wittering
In what way are 'they' going to have to spend 'so much money' to get Wittering up to standard, especially as it was an emergency runway, QRA airfield, etc.

cottesmore09

Post by cottesmore09 » Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:38 pm

The last i thought i heard was the Wittering runway is unservicable, maybe wrong.
RAF Families days website: www.raf-families-days.webs.com

2017 Airshows
RIAT (FRIAT Mach3)
Clacton Airshow
Scampton airshow Arrivals

CH2

Post by CH2 » Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:18 pm

Tutors are still coming; from what I understand this will mean the end of gliding operations with Four Counties looking for a new home.
Cheers,

Chris

britaylor

Post by britaylor » Tue Sep 24, 2013 6:54 am

As I was told a few years ago Wittering belongs to Burghley Estates and it costs the RAF a guinea a year if the base close its got be revert to farm land with removing of runways etc and during the 5 years 2 large flats have been built for the Navy/Raf units

Surfrdan

Post by Surfrdan » Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:28 am

Splitting UAS/AEF from the more intensive EFT makes sense to me on paper.

romeo bravo

Post by romeo bravo » Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:21 am

CH2 wrote:......; from what I understand this will mean the end of gliding operations with Four Counties looking for a new home.
They've been trying around the area to find a home but to no avail :whistle:

Return to “RAF Wittering & Cottesmore”