Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Cottesmore runway lights on!

Please post movements and activities to do with RAF Wittering & RAF Cottesmore here
cottesmore09

Cottesmore runway lights on!

Post by cottesmore09 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:08 pm

Today i noticed a proped aircraft over Cottesmore before i left to work, on the was to work on the A1 going past cottesmore, the runway lights were on!

I take it when the Runway lights are on its an active airfield also i noticed that the radar is still active two? :whistle:

Is something still going to made of a perfectly good airfield?

Thanks, Cott09
RAF Families days website: www.raf-families-days.webs.com

2017 Airshows
RIAT (FRIAT Mach3)
Clacton Airshow
Scampton airshow Arrivals

Tooks

Re: Cottesmore runway lights on!

Post by Tooks » Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:51 am

I've just driven past the end of Cottesmore's runway, and the lights are on again.

A bit earlier down near Peterborough, I did see a large prop aircraft, but assumed it was the Sibson Airfield parachute one?

Nothing much happening here right now anyway, so think I'll carry on!

jamesg23

Post by jamesg23 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 1:24 pm

maybe its got the lights on as its not that bright outside and could posibly a diversion if something has major issues.

headset 57

Post by headset 57 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 1:29 pm

OSF 33F The Russain AF AN30 ( Black 04 c/n 0704 at Riat '99 And CTM 07/00 ) maybe as that was due over CTM on Ops at Waypoint 17 Wittering & 18 Cott at 09;P40-45 today...

viewtopic.php?f=139&t=31565" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

cottesmore09

Post by cottesmore09 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:56 pm

Why include cottesmore if the base is closed? :whistle:

2017 Airshows
RIAT (FRIAT Mach3)
Clacton Airshow

headset 57

Post by headset 57 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:15 pm

so we can show it is, same as it flew over Wyton & Wittering too, maybe someone was turning the lights on and off COMRADE.... :Oops:

Richard B

Post by Richard B » Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:48 pm

Cotts used to be used a lot for hot refueling Rotary types, not sure if its still used for this.?
could be a reason for the lights to be on.

Trenchard

Post by Trenchard » Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:38 am

The Rotary types all go into Witt now, and the radar head at Cott provides Witts radar screen with their picture so will continue to work.
GRIM REAPERS SUPPORTER

"Flexibility is the key to air power"

cottesmore09

Post by cottesmore09 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:15 pm

Tooks wrote:I've just driven past the end of Cottesmore's runway, and the lights are on again.

A bit earlier down near Peterborough, I did see a large prop aircraft, but assumed it was the Sibson Airfield parachute one?

Nothing much happening here right now anyway, so think I'll carry on!
Yes a large proped aircraft came over Cottesmore too, I think it would be the same one you spotted, turned over the Village heading towards Waddington direction.

Could the light be on as a Marker for the aircraft as it did follow the runway line before turning off towards my Village (North of Cottesmore, heading right from RW22 approach)?

2017 Airshows
RIAT (FRIAT Mach3)
Clacton Airshow

CH2

Post by CH2 » Sat Jun 11, 2011 6:21 pm

Today I was told the Cotts ATZ (Not the MATZ) was going active, anybody know anything.

We thought it was more to do with compromising the Radar Head :S
Cheers,

Chris

cottesmore09

Post by cottesmore09 » Sun Jun 12, 2011 2:29 am

CH2 wrote:Today I was told the Cotts ATZ (Not the MATZ) was going active, anybody know anything.

We thought it was more to do with compromising the Radar Head :S
Q) EGTT/QAZXX/IV/NBO/AE/000/030/5244N00039W003

B) FROM: 11/06/01 07:38C) TO: PERM
E) COTTESMORE ATZ. FOR THE PURPOSE OF RULE 45 OF THE RULES OF THE AIR
REGULATIONS 2007 THE COTTESMORE ATZ IS INDEFINITELY SUSPENDED.
RE-ACTIVATION (TEMPO OR OTHERWISE) WILL BE NOTIFIED BY NOTAM.

No other NOTAM to say otherwise mate, just wish Cottesmore was OPEN!

There is still a strong rumour that it could become a cival Airport like Robin Hood airport etc...

2017 Airshows
RIAT (FRIAT Mach3)
Clacton Airshow

CH2

Post by CH2 » Sun Jun 12, 2011 9:26 am

Interesting, we're still being told that the Army are after it. The way that the local airports are struggling, it would be a brave commercial outfit with a very robust business plan to get Cotts into the commercial business. Who knows.
Cheers,

Chris

Tooks

Post by Tooks » Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:08 am

Knowing a lot of the local residents who can view Cottesmore from their gardens (and not all of them aviation enthusiasts!) I would be enormously surprised if Cot became a civil commercial airport.

It's one thing buying and moving into a property with a mil base next door, as most of the folks living nearby would have, but getting them to agree to have a civil one would be a real battle I think.

Not impossible, but the planning permission process alone would take years if local people objected (and they will), so I'd still think keeping it mil would be the only realistic option (plans for housing would be similarly vociferously objected to!), the army moving in being the favourite one.

The phrase 'NIMBY' could have been invented for some of the residents of Rutland.... :D

cottesmore09

Post by cottesmore09 » Mon Jun 13, 2011 3:14 pm

Tooks wrote:Knowing a lot of the local residents who can view Cottesmore from their gardens (and not all of them aviation enthusiasts!) I would be enormously surprised if Cot became a civil commercial airport.

It's one thing buying and moving into a property with a mil base next door, as most of the folks living nearby would have, but getting them to agree to have a civil one would be a real battle I think.

Not impossible, but the planning permission process alone would take years if local people objected (and they will), so I'd still think keeping it mil would be the only realistic option (plans for housing would be similarly vociferously objected to!), the army moving in being the favourite one.

The phrase 'NIMBY' could have been invented for some of the residents of Rutland.... :D
I see the base from my garden and would back it all the way :lol:

No i see what you are saying but nearly all local residents wanted to keep Cottesmore a Mil base but yet again the closing time was usualy 5pm not like civil airports where flights may not stop until 2am...

I hope it goes to the AAC :thumb:

2017 Airshows
RIAT (FRIAT Mach3)
Clacton Airshow

cornclose

Post by cornclose » Mon Feb 01, 2016 12:09 pm

Hello!

First post here, long time aviation enthusiast, and I drive past the South side of what was Cottesmore runway twice a day usually, which is why I ended up here.. I had GOOGLED to try and find out what the heck has been going on at Cottesmore in the past few months, and this thread was almost top of the list - so I'm hoping someone might be able to enlighten me ?

Basically, the airfield has been a sea of light on a number of dark evenings at around 17:30 ish recently (I'd say once or twice a week for some of December 2015 and some of January 2016). In the centre of the airfield there have been several very high powered search lights emitting their light at angles up in to the sky, and on the ground surrounding these search lights are what I can only describe as extremely brightly lit 'cones' (several hundred of them) which, from the distance I viewed them at, I would imagine them to be several meters high.

Honestly, it looked like a scene from 'Close Encounters of the Third Kind'.

Anyone know what's been going on ? My first thoughts were some kind of load test for a solar park, but during daylight hours there's precious little visible there, so either they take it all away again during the day, or it's only been as conspicuous as it has been due to the insane amount of lighting around the centre of the airfield.

Help!

tm74sqn

Post by tm74sqn » Mon Feb 01, 2016 4:47 pm

Space Port Cottesmore - due to open as soon as UFO traffic makes it financially viable . . . . watch this space!
TM74

C24

Post by C24 » Wed Feb 03, 2016 8:50 am

I will ask at the Post Office, they usually know.
C24.
493d/48th - Grim Reapers Supporter.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/charlie-two-four/ FuzzyFastjetFotos, incorporating "HazyHelos"
There's no "go-round" in a glider.

romeo bravo

Post by romeo bravo » Wed Feb 03, 2016 9:10 am

C24 wrote:I will ask at the Post Office, they usually know.
That will be interesting to know.......

cornclose

Post by cornclose » Wed Feb 03, 2016 10:00 am

Many thanks! It's not been happening in the last 2-3 weeks. Still no sign of anything on the airfield when driving past down the long straight at the South side, but not that easy to see from there anyway.

If it ever happens again, I now know a layby and will stop and take some photos. If I suddenly disappear never to be seen again, or end up in Guantanamo Bay, you'll know why.. :lol:

C24

Post by C24 » Wed Feb 03, 2016 11:02 am

Cornclose,

If you do get caught, don't panic! Make sure that you have at least £50 in cash with you. The initial interrogation normally takes place in the building that looks like a pub. After the initial beating, offer to buy a round, hand over the rest of your cash, ask to use the facilities. You can make your escape whilst they are feeling flush. :roll:

Charlie

Ps. please post a photo so that we can recognise you. It has a nice little earner!
C24.
493d/48th - Grim Reapers Supporter.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/charlie-two-four/ FuzzyFastjetFotos, incorporating "HazyHelos"
There's no "go-round" in a glider.

Return to “RAF Wittering & Cottesmore”