Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

So this is Good Bye

Please post movements and activities to do with RAF Wittering & RAF Cottesmore here
andy@cottesmore

So this is Good Bye

Post by andy@cottesmore » Sat Dec 11, 2010 1:18 am

Hi All,

Well we had the final good bye from RAF Wittering as far as flying is concerned today sadly not a large No4 due to the wx being horrid. I have been lucky enough to have lived close to RAF Wittering all of my 34 years. In fact my first ever memory I have of a jet aircraft was a Harrier GR.3 and apart from a few short periods. I can never actually remember a day go by when I did not hear the rumble of the Pegasus somewhere above my high above my head. This could be just a solo doing some general handling, or a 6 ship playing some serious head games with the likes of the F-15. While it lacked a radar the Harrier would always in close quarters use its party trick on the unwitting fighter pilots by VIFING. Which is basically turning those 4 nozzles all the way forwards. And on one or more occasions bring some interesting results along with it. Not only that but its always been a pleasure listening to the bomber out wit the radar equipped fighter. Hearing the fight pilot on the scanner on one or more occasions saying "I wished they would stop doing that" Today was not just a sad day to finally say good bye to the last Harrier Squadron to operate from RAF Wittering. It was also good bye to my local military airfield. Living at only 10 miles from the runway for most of my life, and since July. I have been lucky enough to live right on the Runway 26 8 mile PAR approach. So if its possible will now miss seeing and hearing the Harriers over us even more than ever.

Anyway as the fat lady is now clearing hear throat to sing for that final time, next Wednesday will not only be the end of the Harrier. But the end of a journey for me personally. That journey started way back in 1999 when while working in the south of the city. I was lucky to not only be working outside on the day 4 Squadron arrived home from Germany, but I was also outside to see 3 Squadron's home coming to. As most of you know since 2003 I have spent the best part of my free time tracking there movements. Which would see me end up in me having my own website in Harrier List UK. I also when time allowed photographed them many many times, and some of these pictures have never actually seen light of day to this day. I can sit here today and say I have also met a lots of good people along with a few people I hope I can call friends along the way. To give you an idea I was spending that much time up there at one point. Many of my friends and some members of my family actually thought I had moved to Cottesmore! I can honestly say I have had some interesting experiences, I can say that taking walking from the 22 approach down to the tie down. With nothing more than a mobile phone to light your way. From personal experience trust me when I say it can be very cold and very dark place to be in late September and after 9pm! (I can still hear the screams of two fully grown men now lol ;) ) I think the all time best for me was when taking pictures on the 22 approach in June 2009, This particulate Harrier if I was asked could be classed as my personal favourite. When the aircraft taxied out after near on 2 years on the ground. To take her first leap sky wards after being upgraded to a Harrier GR.9. The aircraft in question was ZD321/02 ( on that day it was ZD321/28 and was a complete mess paint work wise). It might have been a first for the aircraft but it was also one of the last times I would see Sqn Ldr Jim Provosts (A former Red Arrow) flying the Harrier. As the senior JUMP test pilot he had entertained us on more than one occasions when things just don't go to plan. ZD321/02 by the way has not only soaked me to the skin on more than one occasion, but as the oldest airframe of the active fleet it sometimes in my opinion out shone its younger siblings.

One of the biggest surprise however, was when after nearly 4 years to the day of being on the ground. ZG507/78 finally repaired and upgraded to to a Harrier GR.9 took off on runway 22. From my engineering background this was not only a true tribute to the skills it not only takes to fly these aircraft. But it was also a tribute to the skills of the men and women that fix them to.

ZG508/78 Harrier GR.7 On the 12/06/2002 diverted into RAF Linton-On-Ouse. The Harrier had been operating form HMS Illustrious in the North Sea, when it was participating in ACMI with another Harrier both operated by 1Squadron. The aircraft at some point experienced an over G shock to the airframe and suffered CAT.3 damage. It was then roaded three days later to Cottesmore for assessment and repair. I had all but written the aircraft off by 2005. But then on the 09/06/2006 as COTT 31 it took to the sky's once more as a Harrier GR.9. Just proving if ever it was needed that you could never say never where the Harrier was concerned.

Well I am sure there will be a few more of these over the next few days but thought as I am or was Mr Harrier I would start the ball rolling. I would like to wish all the men and women from 1Squadron, 4(AC)Squadron and 800 Naval Air Squadron (what ever happens to them) and not only them. But everyone involved in Joint Force Harrier both past and present I would like to wish you the very best for the future. The other would be to say thank you for the music its been an honour and a pleasure listening. This neck of the woods is now going to be a lot quieter now you have gone.

Best Regards,

Andy Carney
Founder and former owner of Harrier List UK
A true Harrier fanatic and follower 2003 to 2010
and in the words of 20(R)Squdron ground crew "Sill Bitter and Twisted"
British Military Aviation Lists - http://www.bmal.org.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
On the 3 degree glide path (8 Miles) PAR approach Runway 26 (EGXT) RAF Wittering

PeteHemsley

Re: So this is Good Bye

Post by PeteHemsley » Sat Dec 11, 2010 1:31 pm

brilliant sentiments there andy which we cant echo enough. a very sad day indeed and the skies are certainly going to be a lot quieter after next week. one thing i am going to miss most about the harrier (apart from seeing it flying obviously) is the stunning sound of the pilot shutting off the throttles on touch down :'( this always made me smile and just think "wow".

oh how i will miss this machine :'( :'(

pete

Blackcat1

Post by Blackcat1 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:51 pm

Very well put Andy, i shall have a tear in my eye Wednesday when i hear that unique sound of that trusty old Pegasus engine wind down for the last time, i have been a fan of the Harrier for all my 28 years on this planet, from being a baby pushed around my local airfield St Athan on airshow day until October/November this year, when i saw a 5 ship (Hellcat) fly over Sennybridge (my hunting ground) and a 2 ship and then a 4 ship (Jedi) go through the Mach loop, a superb aircraft to look at and listen too especially at 250 feet flying through the valleys, the Harrier was the only jet i used to see at low level so often in my neck of thw woods, driving to the hills wont be the same again :'(

I wish the Harrier force all the best for the future whatever that brings to the crews and groundies, maybe an exchange to the USMC/ Italian Navy, or even instructors on the Hawk, but i shall miss that classic British icon, i dont imagine for a minute that crappy looking JSF will be the same, (IF!!) we ever get it!

Good luck guys and girls

Cheers and thanks for the thrills! :thumb:
Gareth

6 Sqdn Canopeners
Oculi exercitus
Blackcats remembered
Jaguar Force Excellance! 2nd July 07.

drumsey

Post by drumsey » Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:23 pm

Andy,

I think you should also give yourself a big pat on the back for keeping the Harriers fans so well informed.

Another fantastic aircraft which will be sadly missed.

Darren

Blackcat1

Post by Blackcat1 » Tue Dec 14, 2010 5:41 pm

Here Here!!!
Gareth

6 Sqdn Canopeners
Oculi exercitus
Blackcats remembered
Jaguar Force Excellance! 2nd July 07.

Return to “RAF Wittering & Cottesmore”