Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Harriers Final goodbye happenings (updated)

Please post movements and activities to do with RAF Wittering & RAF Cottesmore here
jonf45

Re: Harriers Final goodbye happenings (updated)

Post by jonf45 » Wed Dec 15, 2010 8:42 pm

Michael Leek wrote:The SDSR states that the Harrier - and Tornado F3s - will go at the end of March 2011. Anyone know exactly what this means the Harrier's last flights were today?
Need to be kept airworthy for their new owners......;)

Tronk 11

Post by Tronk 11 » Wed Dec 15, 2010 8:59 pm

Hi Guys,
I was at Wittering today & listened as the crews tried to get down below the weather, but you could hear the disapointment in the voices as they knew they couldn't. It would be nice to see the RAF keep one airworthy with a historical flight, I'm not sure if many RAF jets could compete with the service record of the Harrier. Pity they can't afford to keep it flying, although the government call it a Strategic defence review. I (along with a lot more people here) are not that stupid.
I got my last look at them a few weeks ago, & will always remember that day. Take note everyone. Don't assume they'll be around as they often won't be. Nimrod, Harrier, then ? Get out, & enjoy them while you can.

Dan D'Air

Post by Dan D'Air » Wed Dec 15, 2010 9:29 pm

Tronk 11 wrote:Hi Guys,
Don't assume they'll be around as they often won't be. Nimrod, Harrier, then ? Get out, & enjoy them while you can.
Sentinel........
Dan
"Shakin the tree boss, shakin the tree"

colt99

Post by colt99 » Wed Dec 15, 2010 9:37 pm

Dan D'Air wrote:
Tronk 11 wrote:Hi Guys,
Don't assume they'll be around as they often won't be. Nimrod, Harrier, then ? Get out, & enjoy them while you can.
Sentinel........
Dominie tomorrow and friday :(

Tronk 11

Post by Tronk 11 » Wed Dec 15, 2010 9:41 pm

Unfortunatly they are starting to stack up. Dominie, Senitinal, Shadow, Tornado? Sea King? Gazelle? Jetstream (RN) & thats without thinking too much. I don't want to think as they'll be more.

Post by 698 » Wed Dec 15, 2010 9:59 pm

Tronk 11 wrote:Unfortunatly they are starting to stack up. Dominie, Senitinal, Shadow, Tornado? Sea King? Gazelle? Jetstream (RN) & thats without thinking too much. I don't want to think as they'll be more.
Yes, I'm afraid that this is just the start of it.

I'm sure there will be more reductions in numbers for the Airforce and Navy as time goes on and as we start to pull out of the sandpit.

Playing with fire is fun.....................until.........................
For good or for ill, air mastery is today the supreme expression of military power and fleets and armies, however vital and important, must accept a subordinate rank.
Winston Churchill

trembler1

Post by trembler1 » Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:23 pm

My take on a frustrating day.

After starting the day heading for Cottesmore i decided to head the RAF advice and head for another RAF base, wanted to do Cranwell so i could do the Dominies as well (didnt see any) then headed to Waddo. Stood outside in the freezing cold for 2 hours waiting only to read the dreaded news...All aircraft to land at Cotts. The weather in Linconshire was fine between 11-3 with a cloud base of 3000-5000ft broken cloud and good visibility. Hearing the news that they cancelled was like a bolt through the heart, never again to see a Harrier fly.

We can go on for ages about why the RAF couldnt send 1 or 4 Harriers up to the thousands who were waiting, but at the end of the day safety rules.

Gutted, RIP Harrier and its place in British History

Bryan
Follow my blog

http://bwairimages.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

cottesmore09

Post by cottesmore09 » Thu Dec 16, 2010 12:26 am

trembler1 wrote:My take on a frustrating day.

After starting the day heading for Cottesmore i decided to head the RAF advice and head for another RAF base, wanted to do Cranwell so i could do the Dominies as well (didnt see any) then headed to Waddo. Stood outside in the freezing cold for 2 hours waiting only to read the dreaded news...All aircraft to land at Cotts. The weather in Linconshire was fine between 11-3 with a cloud base of 3000-5000ft broken cloud and good visibility. Hearing the news that they cancelled was like a bolt through the heart, never again to see a Harrier fly.

We can go on for ages about why the RAF couldnt send 1 or 4 Harriers up to the thousands who were waiting, but at the end of the day safety rules.

Gutted, RIP Harrier and its place in British History

Bryan
Hi mate, Cottesmore low cloud through out the day, i think they went by the weather at home, could hardly see the formation at all and they only had a small cloud lift to get back throuh in 4 ships and land, the last set were nearly in the clouds.
RAF Families days website: www.raf-families-days.webs.com

2017 Airshows
RIAT (FRIAT Mach3)
Clacton Airshow
Scampton airshow Arrivals

cottesmore09

Post by cottesmore09 » Thu Dec 16, 2010 2:18 am

From my garden on the 13th,

Camo harrier edited by luke sismore, on Flickr

More found here: viewtopic.php?f=16&t=23923" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

15th from a differnt veiw!, more to come under Photo thread

IMG_0150 by luke sismore, on Flickr
IMG_0174 by luke sismore, on Flickr

Thanks, Cott09

2017 Airshows
RIAT (FRIAT Mach3)
Clacton Airshow

Blackcat1

Post by Blackcat1 » Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:48 am

8 hour round trip for us, left a sunny South Wales, weather start to turn just after Brum, mist came down and the rain, i was thinking oh oh fudge they are going to cancel. Was told when we got there , it was still to go ahead, so chuffed. Was a great shame they couldnt do the flypast thanks to the god awful British weather, but was very happy and sad at the same time to see my fav aircraft after the Jaguar for the last time. Like many others both my Uncle and i had a tear in our eyes as that unique noise that only a Harrier's Pegasus engine makes winding down for the last time. It was a shame the best looking colour jets exited the runway early for us at the 22 end, but just seeing the ones taxi past i was very greatful. I cannot believe this Great British Icon has been retired early after having not long been upgraded, it's a crying shame that i will never see Harriers fly at low level in the valleys anymore, we are just extremely glad we made the effort to visit Cottsmore one last time.

I wish all the Harrier flight crews and ground crews and everyone on Cottesmore best wishes for the future.

Goodbye Harrier you will be sorely missed, but never forgotten.
Gareth

6 Sqdn Canopeners
Oculi exercitus
Blackcats remembered
Jaguar Force Excellance! 2nd July 07.

robbo

Post by robbo » Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:56 am

well said Gareth,
good to see you again, allbiet on such a sad day for everyone concerned and what a very sad event it was :'(

robbo

Post by 698 » Thu Dec 16, 2010 11:28 am

As far as I could tell the singleton T-bird was calling the shots on the weather.
In his view the weather, certainly over Cottesmore, was suitable only for "Four Ship" formations.

Disappointed not to see the 16 ship but that's life :'(

On the way home I did wonder if at briefings all the aircrew's were warned about 1 Sqn's earlier association with another Hawker product and a certain bridge (not to mention Westminster !) :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'm just glad I got a final chance to say goodbye to this classic aircraft and possibly Cottesmore too.

It was great to speak to so many of you there at the 22 end and thanks to all of you who contributed to this thread so that we knew what was happening even if it did get confusing at times, everyone did their best. :thumbs:

Thanks to the RAF ATC officer for the briefing, refreshments, the reminder that it was a cold day and to keep an eye on one another, to the pilots for taxying past waving and clapping us. :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:

Those morons in Westminster don't deserve you.
For good or for ill, air mastery is today the supreme expression of military power and fleets and armies, however vital and important, must accept a subordinate rank.
Winston Churchill

Box Brownie

Post by Box Brownie » Thu Dec 16, 2010 11:41 am

Hi All

It was good to see, on my first & last visit to Cottesmore 22 end, a goodly number of hardy souls :thumbs:

One thing puzzled me was the takeoff seen from that end ~ I counted only 15, the initial singleton and then 7 pairs. Waited in vain for the last one, so where did he takeoff from :S

As mentioned above it was great that we got them taxi'ing past us waving though it would have been the cream on top if they could have given us a hover or 4 ;)

CH2

Post by CH2 » Thu Dec 16, 2010 11:58 am

Has the GR4 departed?
Cheers,

Chris

tim_raper

Post by tim_raper » Thu Dec 16, 2010 2:18 pm

you must of run out of fingers, I'm sure I counted 17 departures. 1 weather ship plus eight pairs.

tonkatom

Post by tonkatom » Thu Dec 16, 2010 2:49 pm

My thanks to the harrier and all the personnel who worked with it.the personnel have lost a best friend and so have i.realy touchin at the end of the ceremony,lookin at cottesmore runway and thinkin of how deserted,run down it wil look soon.a magical place with the best atmosphere around the place as a whole ive ever been too.wil miss you cottesmore:-(
May the skies be clear and blue and the wind fair with a guiding star to steer by.

binbrook87

Post by binbrook87 » Thu Dec 16, 2010 4:32 pm

A very sad day indeed :'( :'( :'( and a great shame the weather intervened to prevent the 16 ship flypast, but thanks must go to all the RAF guys and gals and all the support staff for making any kind of display at all possible and for those crews that taxied past the '22' end - thanks it was well appreciated :clap: Sad to see them go and well worth the 6 hours standing in the mud & rain. I can now look back and say 'I was there'. Here's wishing everyone at Cottesmore all the very best whatever the future holds. :thumb: :thumb:

andy@cottesmore

Post by andy@cottesmore » Thu Dec 16, 2010 4:35 pm

CH2 wrote:Has the GR4 departed?

And you win the prize for random question of the day!
British Military Aviation Lists - http://www.bmal.org.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
On the 3 degree glide path (8 Miles) PAR approach Runway 26 (EGXT) RAF Wittering

TYS1977

Post by TYS1977 » Thu Dec 16, 2010 7:12 pm

What a superb,but ultimately sad day,
9and a half hour round trip for my Dad and I from Barrow in Cumbria,
So glad we came down,
From my early years in the 70's I can still remember being enthralled when told about The Harrier 'Jump'Jet,this amazing machine that doesn't need a runway to take off,or indeed land,
Watching them on the BBC coverage of the Falklands war in the 80's,Brian Hanraghan's famous 'counted them all out and I counted them all back in again'
A feeling of pride that OUR own British aircraft had done so much in that conflict,
Not forgetting it's vital role Close Air Support in Afghanistan and Iraq,
Then over the years,for me, the Harrier was always the star of the airshows that we visited,the aircraft in mid flypast that seemed to stand on it's nose and come to a halt IN THE AIR !!! and just sit there,then the pivot followed by the bow,superb,just superb,
In the last year I've taken up low level photography as a great number of you folks on here have,I only caught one Harrier through Dunmail,and it was a snapshot unfortunately as he startled me,I did hoever get the said aircraft yesterday at Cotts,(45A)

Thank you to all the Pilots,Ground crews and all the RAF personnel that have over the years operated this magnificent machine,
In particular a big thank you to all the team at Cottismore for making yesterday so special,I wish you all the very best for the future,

:clap: :clap: :clap: Farewell Harrier,we are going to miss you,but we will never forget you :clap: :clap: :clap:

And finally to those weilding the budget books......

WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU DOING TO OUR COUNTRY !!!!WE ARE GOING BACKWARDS, I HAVE NEVER EVER FELT SO CONNED IN MY LIFE FOR VOTING FOR SOMEONE !!!

Sorry that's been building for a while now,
Kindest regards
Mark

cottesmore09

Post by cottesmore09 » Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:53 pm

TYS1977 wrote:What a superb,but ultimately sad day,
9and a half hour round trip for my Dad and I from Barrow in Cumbria,
So glad we came down,
From my early years in the 70's I can still remember being enthralled when told about The Harrier 'Jump'Jet,this amazing machine that doesn't need a runway to take off,or indeed land,
Watching them on the BBC coverage of the Falklands war in the 80's,Brian Hanraghan's famous 'counted them all out and I counted them all back in again'
A feeling of pride that OUR own British aircraft had done so much in that conflict,
Not forgetting it's vital role Close Air Support in Afghanistan and Iraq,
Then over the years,for me, the Harrier was always the star of the airshows that we visited,the aircraft in mid flypast that seemed to stand on it's nose and come to a halt IN THE AIR !!! and just sit there,then the pivot followed by the bow,superb,just superb,
In the last year I've taken up low level photography as a great number of you folks on here have,I only caught one Harrier through Dunmail,and it was a snapshot unfortunately as he startled me,I did hoever get the said aircraft yesterday at Cotts,(45A)

Thank you to all the Pilots,Ground crews and all the RAF personnel that have over the years operated this magnificent machine,
In particular a big thank you to all the team at Cottismore for making yesterday so special,I wish you all the very best for the future,

:clap: :clap: :clap: Farewell Harrier,we are going to miss you,but we will never forget you :clap: :clap: :clap:

And finally to those weilding the budget books......

WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU DOING TO OUR COUNTRY !!!!WE ARE GOING BACKWARDS, I HAVE NEVER EVER FELT SO CONNED IN MY LIFE FOR VOTING FOR SOMEONE !!!

Sorry that's been building for a while now,
Kindest regards
Mark
Well said :thumb:

2017 Airshows
RIAT (FRIAT Mach3)
Clacton Airshow

Return to “RAF Wittering & Cottesmore”