Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Cottesmore Status

Please post movements and activities to do with RAF Wittering & RAF Cottesmore here
Rhubarb

Cottesmore Status

Post by Rhubarb » Sun Jun 07, 2015 9:02 pm

I have just read about the Apaches doing circuits ! Did they land ? Can aircraft land ? Is the runway open or has it out of use "X"s at each end ? I thought it was closed ! Is the old gentleman that used to report daily movements still around ? I used to love it near the Harrier test bay. No road noise as the A1 was too far away. Just the sound of the skylarks in between the roar of the Harriers. Oh what days they were ! :( I would love it if someone bought a GR7 back from the US Marines. Perhaps Sir Richard Branson can start a "Harrier to the Sky" organisation with his spare change ! :D
Is it true the US Marines have parked up all the GR7s to rot due to incompatibility problems with their US aircraft ?
Has anyone got pucker gen on these questions ?
cheers
Rhubarb (Harrier Lover)
"A Rhubarb" is a sortie of opportunity !

romeo bravo

Re: Cottesmore Status

Post by romeo bravo » Mon Jun 08, 2015 8:08 am

No, the Apaches didn't land. Runway is closed, but it doesn't stop gliders from dropping in when they lose thermals :@ Even had an Auster 4 (G-AOCU) drop in over Easter with an engine problem.

nickowen

Post by nickowen » Mon Jun 08, 2015 8:42 am

Flew over Cottesmore last week on the way back from Fenland. The runway is marked with white Xs. Normally these are underlined if the runway has been inspected within the last 12 months and found to be serviceable.

cottesmore09

Post by cottesmore09 » Mon Jun 08, 2015 10:27 pm

Waste of a perfect runway and air base, always in my eye a poor decision by the Government! :grr:
RAF Families days website: www.raf-families-days.webs.com

2017 Airshows
RIAT (FRIAT Mach3)
Clacton Airshow
Scampton airshow Arrivals

shane davis

Post by shane davis » Sat Jun 13, 2015 12:50 pm

Rhubarb wrote:I have just read about the Apaches doing circuits ! Did they land ? Can aircraft land ? Is the runway open or has it out of use "X"s at each end ? I thought it was closed ! Is the old gentleman that used to report daily movements still around ? I used to love it near the Harrier test bay. No road noise as the A1 was too far away. Just the sound of the skylarks in between the roar of the Harriers. Oh what days they were ! :( I would love it if someone bought a GR7 back from the US Marines. Perhaps Sir Richard Branson can start a "Harrier to the Sky" organisation with his spare change ! :D
Is it true the US Marines have parked up all the GR7s to rot due to incompatibility problems with their US aircraft ?
Has anyone got pucker gen on these questions ?
cheers
Rhubarb (Harrier Lover)
In answer to the "old boy" think you mean Charles? Nope haven't seen or heard of him since the base closed. Have asked a couple of mutual friends and they've said same. :(
Shane.
Corby, Northants.

Vulcanone

Post by Vulcanone » Mon Jun 15, 2015 8:02 pm

I doubt Branson is the slightest bit interested given that he is playing with Space toys now

And the USMC have stripped them for spares and put most of the airframe shells into AMARG

T

C24

Post by C24 » Wed Jul 08, 2015 8:51 am

We haven't seen Charles in two years, he used to visit a couple of times a week to feed the birds. He lives/lived in Stamford near the tennis club I think.
The engine test shed was demolished about 18 months ago, maybe earlier. The road has been upgraded for the gate to be used for heavy vehicles.
The approach lights went even earlier. There are still buzzards nesting in the wood under the approach.
C24.
493d/48th - Grim Reapers Supporter.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/charlie-two-four/ FuzzyFastjetFotos, incorporating "HazyHelos"
There's no "go-round" in a glider.

romeo bravo

Post by romeo bravo » Sun Jul 12, 2015 9:17 am

C24 wrote:There are still buzzards nesting in the wood under the approach.
And curlews are nesting on airfield....... Great to see skylarks and yellowhammers all over the place.

Return to “RAF Wittering & Cottesmore”