Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Grob arrivals

Please post movements and activities to do with RAF Wittering & RAF Cottesmore here
cottesmore09

Grob arrivals

Post by cottesmore09 » Thu Jan 22, 2015 3:52 pm

Well they are only Grobs but it will be a nice moment to see flying return to Wittering since 2010.

The first wave of Grobs are to arrive at Wittering the first week of February, may be worth a trip down there for those free :thumb:

Thanks,
Cott09
RAF Families days website: www.raf-families-days.webs.com

2017 Airshows
RIAT (FRIAT Mach3)
Clacton Airshow
Scampton airshow Arrivals

cottesmore09

Re: Grob arrivals

Post by cottesmore09 » Thu Jan 22, 2015 3:57 pm

New head of flying arrives and Grob arrival news:- http://www.raf.mod.uk/rafwittering/news ... 7DC4ABE5B6

Air Traffic Control at RAF Wittering entering a new phase 19th Jan:- http://www.raf.mod.uk/rafwittering/news ... 1C733C6C3C

2017 Airshows
RIAT (FRIAT Mach3)
Clacton Airshow

romeo bravo

Post by romeo bravo » Fri Jan 23, 2015 11:41 am

But some people are noy happy. Some guy on Wittering's FB page complaining that arrive has meant 4 Counties Gliding Club has disbanded.

Some think an old boys club is better than training tomorrow pilots.......

cottesmore09

Post by cottesmore09 » Fri Jan 23, 2015 10:01 pm

Plenty of places to go and fly a glider, they should be lucky they were ever allowed to use Wittering to fly from!

roll on the Grobs :ninja:

2017 Airshows
RIAT (FRIAT Mach3)
Clacton Airshow

ColintheCaterpillar

Post by ColintheCaterpillar » Sat Jan 24, 2015 12:14 pm

romeo bravo wrote:But some people are noy happy. Some guy on Wittering's FB page complaining that arrive has meant 4 Counties Gliding Club has disbanded.

Some think an old boys club is better than training tomorrow pilots.......
Someone needs reminding that it's a privilege to operate at a military base. :) On the other hand, how great that 7 day ops will resume at an historic RAF Base.

C24

Post by C24 » Sun Jan 25, 2015 9:50 am

I note that the Unit will be commanded by a Royal Navy pilot who flew Harriers. That's good news.

It is 50 years ago next week that I joined BRNC, not that such info is of any interest to anyone but me ;) Tiger Moths over the Tamar, real Biggles stuff around and through white clouds in a blue sky.
I am currently learning to fly a Hubsan quadcopter in my sitting room. What goes around, comes around! At school, I built and flew gliders made from balsa wood & tissue paper.

Years of aircraft, lucky me. Access to airfields used to be a matter of crawling through three strands of wire, through the grass and sneaking into aircraft. Never got caught.

So, roll-on Summer and lots of Grobs to watch.

Good fortune to all the students, you will love it!
C24.
493d/48th - Grim Reapers Supporter.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/charlie-two-four/ FuzzyFastjetFotos, incorporating "HazyHelos"
There's no "go-round" in a glider.

ColintheCaterpillar

Post by ColintheCaterpillar » Sun Jan 25, 2015 6:32 pm

C24 wrote: Good fortune to all the students, you will love it!
Unless there's a strong northerly or southerly wind... ;)

Doughnut

Post by Doughnut » Mon Jan 26, 2015 5:27 pm

ColinthCaterpillar wrote "On the other hand, how great that 7 day ops will resume at an historic RAF Base."

As someone who has lived within ten miles of Wittering all my life I agree that the return of flying units is good news. The fun will now start. People who live closer to base, who have been 'excited' about the RAF back flying will soon change their minds when they find out the Grobs will be a near constant presence during the summer weekends. Lets face it the Grobs are noisy little beasts and they dont ever seem to go far away.

Pen Pusher

Post by Pen Pusher » Mon Jan 26, 2015 5:33 pm

Plenty people in St Ives complain about the Grobs flying weekends from RAF Wyton, disturbing their BBQ's in the summer. :D

Brian

Dan214sqn

Post by Dan214sqn » Mon Jan 26, 2015 7:55 pm

ppl who live near air bases complain about aircraft noise.....

.... two words come to mind

Tronk 11

Post by Tronk 11 » Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:43 pm

A Grob Tutor v a Harrier in the "noise" department? I'd listen to the Harriers all day, but Tutors will have to do, at least they'll be some radio activity at the weekend. I'm sure they'll be very welcome here.

C24

Post by C24 » Tue Jan 27, 2015 7:52 am

The north/south wind would not be difficult to solve ColintheCaterpiller, the grass area at the western end of the airfield is large enough to take off & land, ok between the approach lights but not unsafe, just good practice.
The Tarmac surface of the '8', 35/17 south of the main runway would allow landing in a strong wind, too. Take off might be interesting though. :whistle:
If the circuit stays to the south and is tight, there is very little habitation to be concerned about. Just a pleasant, distant buzz in the air. Similar to the traffic noise on the A1.

Of course, North Luffenham and Barkston Heath are available. And both have the old triangular runway layout. :roll:

Lots of radio chatter too as already mentioned. :D
C24.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/charlie-two-four/ FuzzyFastjetFotos, incorporating "HazyHelos"

romeo bravo

Post by romeo bravo » Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:29 am

C24 wrote:Of course, North Luffenham and Barkston Heath are available. And both have the old triangular runway layout. :roll:
They'll have to dodge a few holes in the runway at Luffenham :P

Yes, they sound like buzz saws, but thats not much of an issue. Looking forward to watching aeros over Peterborough :halo:

I'm sure someone in a big house near Barnack will be complaining about the noise, the same way he did about the Harriers!!

ColintheCaterpillar

Post by ColintheCaterpillar » Tue Jan 27, 2015 6:31 pm

C24 wrote:The north/south wind would not be difficult to solve ColintheCaterpiller, the grass area at the western end of the airfield is large enough to take off & land, ok between the approach lights but not unsafe, just good practice.
The Tarmac surface of the '8', 35/17 south of the main runway would allow landing in a strong wind, too. Take off might be interesting though. :whistle:
If the circuit stays to the south and is tight, there is very little habitation to be concerned about. Just a pleasant, distant buzz in the air. Similar to the traffic noise on the A1.
The Tutor has defined take off and landing distance requirements, which are more limiting than most would think. I don't think any of the old strips are long enough. They'll just have to cope with the excesses of the main!

romeo bravo

Post by romeo bravo » Tue Jan 27, 2015 7:44 pm

And don't forget they will be carrying students (air cadets at weekend) so will have to stick to minimum requirements.

ColintheCaterpillar

Post by ColintheCaterpillar » Tue Jan 27, 2015 7:50 pm

romeo bravo wrote:And don't forget they will be carrying students (air cadets at weekend) so will have to stick to minimum requirements.
You have to stick to the minimum requirements whoever is in the aeroplane!

C24

Post by C24 » Wed Jan 28, 2015 12:15 pm

:D :) :roll:

"You have to stick to the minimum requirements whoever is in the aeroplane!"

Aren't Grobs fitted with J okes?

As for the owner of the large house, very, very large house. The double glazing bill was not paid by Him/her according to local rumour ;)

Cottesmore airspace for aeros maybe? Watch this space.
C24.

ColintheCaterpillar

Post by ColintheCaterpillar » Wed Jan 28, 2015 2:41 pm

C24 wrote::D :) :roll:

"You have to stick to the minimum requirements whoever is in the aeroplane!"

Aren't Grobs fitted with J okes?
G115A/B/C have yokes. D (Heron) and E (Tutor) have control columns.

Return to “RAF Wittering & Cottesmore”