Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

ICAO / IATA Codes and Airfield names

Please read the rules before posting on the forum.

ICAO / IATA Codes and Airfield names

Postby GOOSE » Mon May 03, 2010 1:54 pm

In order to prevent confusion and to ease understanding of posts, please be aware of the following amendment to Fighter Control rules.

The use of ICAO and IATA codes purely as a means of identifying a location is now formally not allowed.

Those who wish to include ICAO and IATA codes along with airfield names please feel free, but as previously stated, the name of the airfield must be included first.

Fighter Control staff would ideally like you to use full airfield names at all times rather than just Cby or Lossie. However obviously Tacan beacon identifiers can still be used in the monitoring section as part of an airway but not the airfield itself.

This ensures everyone is using the same standard and prevents confusion.
GOOSE

Re: ICAO / IATA Codes and Airfield names

Postby GOOSE » Sun Aug 29, 2010 9:23 pm

And a further bump on this. Please be careful and make sure that your posts are understandable to all.

Cheers. :)
GOOSE

Postby jem60 » Mon Aug 30, 2010 7:24 am

Many thanks for that!!. Despite all my interesting years around aviation, I have always had to rack my ageing brains as to which was BOH EGSS etc., Cheers.
jem60

Postby gary1701 » Fri Nov 04, 2011 11:20 am

Gents,

Can there be a reminder about this again please, as it apppears to be coming back in various posts I've noticed recently. Several posts have a question asking where the poster means but perhaps a reminder by the staff that they shouldn't be doing it at all ought to be posted on the thread in question? It really cannot be beyond the abilities of people posting to type in the name of an airfield surely?

Gary
My photo website

My name's Wild Bill Kelso, and don't you forget it! - John Belushi, 1941.
gary1701

Postby Mike » Fri Nov 04, 2011 11:42 am

gary1701 wrote:Gents,

Can there be a reminder about this again please, as it apppears to be coming back in various posts I've noticed recently. Several posts have a question asking where the poster means but perhaps a reminder by the staff that they shouldn't be doing it at all ought to be posted on the thread in question? It really cannot be beyond the abilities of people posting to type in the name of an airfield surely?

Gary

Well said Gary - after all it only takes about 3 seconds longer to type the airfield name instead and also saves members having to google it.
Mike

Postby RichC » Wed Nov 09, 2011 3:06 pm

Can we have the same regarding serials please?
It doesn't take much to write down the name of an aircraft either. Keep having to google serial numbers just to get the type of aircraft!
Haven't got a signature...
-----------------------------------

MILCOM - Home of the Radio Monitor
http://www.milcom.radio.am
RichC

Postby EGVP » Wed Nov 09, 2011 3:25 pm

Can we have the same for frequencies then please? :whistle:
Threshold.Aero Gatwick Aviation Museum nightshoot on sale now!
EGVP

Postby MikeB » Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:48 pm

ChrisGlobe wrote:Can we have the same for frequencies then please? :whistle:

I think this covers it, kindly written by Rich: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=30

Mike.
Aviation, Landscape and Urban photography by Michael Buckle - MichaelBuckle.co.uk
MikeB
Administrator

Postby onemac » Mon Jun 27, 2016 3:47 pm

MikeB wrote:I think this covers it, kindly written by Rich: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=30" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mike.

This information link says 'You are not authorised to read this forum.' Can I have an explanation one way or the other please?

Thank you

Al
onemac

Postby paddyboy » Mon Aug 01, 2016 3:52 pm

I get the same message :S
XH558, always the first lady in my life
Just remember, please don't tell the wife

GRIM REAPERS SUPPORTER
paddyboy

Postby Mike » Mon Aug 01, 2016 3:56 pm

It sounds like the thread has been moved into the Staff section - that's the only section that normal members don't have the permission to access.
Mike

Postby Gary » Wed Aug 03, 2016 2:18 pm

I've had a look, the original post and it was made by a former staff member who no longer is a member of the forum. I'm guessing it was moved while a new one could be drawn up
Gary

Return to Forum Rules