Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

First-time Visitor Questions

Please post movements and activities to do with RAF Coningsby here
cathasatail

First-time Visitor Questions

Post by cathasatail » Sun Jul 30, 2017 4:50 pm

Good afternoon,

I've been reading the forum for a few weeks now without having made an account, but today I made the leap and created one. :thumbs:

Essentially, the context of this post is that I am planning to go down to Coningsby for this Thursday and Saturday (Friday being used for other things in Lincolnshire) and as such I have a few "beginner's" questions that I wanted to pose.
*I have read the FAQ's about asking "what can I expect to see... etc" and I understand it, I'm not too fussed what types I see and I'll be thankful for anything (this being my first jaunt to an active fast jet base) that I happen to see.

So the questions:
-Roughly, when does flying usually commence?
-Is there any way of finding out which runway will be predominantly used on the day (besides using a scanner and visually seeing aircraft take off from the active runway)?
-And can you photograph from the ends of the runway still, (I've had a look online and there are very few recent videos taken from the ends of the runway, with more recent ones being taken next to a set of traffic lights some distance from the centerline)?

Thank you very much for taking the time to read and answer this, if you choose to do so.

Kind regards,
Sam :)

POL

Re: First-time Visitor Questions

Post by POL » Sun Jul 30, 2017 5:34 pm

cathasatail wrote:Roughly, when does flying usually commence?
Assuming there's no night flying, most RAF stations start flying around 9am.
cathasatail wrote:Is there any way of finding out which runway will be predominantly used on the day (besides using a scanner and visually seeing aircraft take off from the active runway)?
Take a look at the weather forecast, aircraft takeoff and land in to wind, so if there's an easterly wind they'll be taking off and landing at the BBMF end, if there's a westerly wind it'll be the other end.
cathasatail wrote:And can you photograph from the ends of the runway still, (I've had a look online and there are very few recent videos taken from the ends of the runway, with more recent ones being taken next to a set of traffic lights some distance from the centerline)?
I've not seen anything to say not!

slogen51

Post by slogen51 » Mon Jul 31, 2017 6:24 pm

Photography at Coningsby is quite good at either end (you can work out which end they are on by noting which end has the most people with cameras and ladders)

Apparently there are some German EF2000 due in august for a week.
Last edited by slogen51 on Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cathasatail

Post by cathasatail » Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:42 pm

Thanks chaps!
An additional question that I have is regarding this weeks NOTAM and what it means. (I am new to NOTAMs)

viewtopic.php?f=55&t=149693 -Link to relevant post

"Start date/time: 31/07/2017 07:00 UTC
End date/time: 04/08/2017 08:00 UTC
Activity period: 31 0700-0930, AUG 01-03 0700-0830, 04 0700-0800
Lower height limit: 000
Upper height limit: 999"

So, can any finer information on "start times" be deduced from this? From what I can guess based on this, does this mean that the AD (aerodrome?) will be closed between 0700 and 0830 (for the 3rd of August) and therefore presumably flying would proceed shortly after this time (0830)?

Thanks for your very helpful responses so far!

Kind regards,
Sam

Mark Owen

Post by Mark Owen » Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:22 pm

We are day's this week that's it means.

Regards.

Mark.
Mark Owen.

Return to “RAF Coningsby”