Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

RAF Coningsby FAQ's

Please post movements and activities to do with RAF Coningsby here
StevenNFFC

RAF Coningsby FAQ's

Post by StevenNFFC » Tue Sep 22, 2015 11:18 pm

How do I get to Coningsby?

By placing LN4 4TE in your sat-nav.

Which squadrons are based at Coningsby?

The resident squadrons based at RAF Coningsby are 3(F) Squadron, XI Squadron, 29(R) Squadron (Typhoon OCU) & 41(R)Test and Evaluation Squadron. All squadrons operate the Typhoon FGR4 & T3 with the exception of 41(R)TES who also operate a number of Tornado GR4 aircraft. The station is also home to the RAF Battle of Britain Memorial Flight and their fleet of Spitfire, Hurricane, Lancaster, Dakota and Chipmunk aircraft.

What visiting aircraft can I expect at Coningsby?

You can't expect any visiting aircraft but the most common visitor to Coningsby is Cranwell traffic including King Airs and Tutors but Tornado's and F-15's have been known to overshoot in the past. Foreign visitors do turn up every so often but it is very hard to predict when they will arrive.

NIGHT FLYING:
It's night flying....which squadrons will be active and what time will they start?
I was planning a trip to Coningsby - how much activity will there be during the day?
What times does night-flying start?

The brutal answer is that no one knows. It all depends on which squadrons are night flying on any particular week and nobody outside the fence could possibly predict which squadrons will be night flying and indeed how much night flying they will do. I have personally been at Coningsby when flying has kicked off at 14.30 and ended at 18.30 but I have also been there when it has started later and had wall-to-wall action until 23:00 - it is just pot luck.

Where is the best place to take pictures?

This all depends on which end of the runway they are using. The "Thunder and Lightnings" viewing guide available on this forum is a great piece of advice and should be looked at by anyone wishing to visit Coningsby for the first time. Coningsby is generally very picture friendly with only a ladder required to shoot from most areas of the base.
Note: Please do not park in front of crash gates or block access to local roads. Please also be considerate to the farmer - who is courteous enough to let you use his fields to get your pictures

How much flying will there be on this date?

Another brutal answer is that no one knows. Regular Coningsby visitors often have this question asked and it is true that no one knows. Personally I have been at Coningsby on certain days where there is wall-to-wall action and then arrived on the next day to discover that nothing moves.

How do I know if a display is planned on the day of my visit?

Myself or Gary will try to post the NOTAM's that suggest a flying display will take place if we see them. It is always worth checking a NOTAM wesbite such as: http://notaminfo.com/ukmap - To check. Alternatively, when you arrive at the base (if you have a scanner) programme 280.300 and listen to see if any "bingo times" are listed.

If anyone has any other FAQ's they think should be in here please PM me and I will sort it out.

Steven.

Vulcanone

Re: RAF Coningsby FAQ's

Post by Vulcanone » Wed Sep 23, 2015 10:56 pm

Thanks Steven

I suggest its made as a sticky to go up top and therefore doesn't drop off the page.

Tim

jediwarrior

Post by jediwarrior » Tue Sep 29, 2015 7:16 pm

can i add more and more people are parking in front on the emergency gates please do not park in front of the gates as these are for emergency use to the airfield and the MOD police and security will move you on. Also if an emergency does happen and you are parked there dont be shocked if you vehicle is moved by force

StevenNFFC

Post by StevenNFFC » Tue Sep 29, 2015 8:05 pm

Good point mate - will add to the list.

Return to “RAF Coningsby”