Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Help with sighting over Sleaford?

Forum rules
Guildelines for the use of this section have been released, please see them here - http://www.fightercontrol.co.uk/forum/v ... 54#p690454

This notice will be left in place for a short time so that everyone is aware
david,pye

Help with sighting over Sleaford?

Post by david,pye » Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:43 am

Hello,

I am new to both this forum and to aircraft spotting. I live just north of Sleaford in Lincolnshire and so am well placed to see quite a lot of RAF activity - we are surrounded by RAF Waddington, Coningsby, Digby, Cranwell and Barston Heath!

We regularly have the E-3 Sentry early warning aircraft from Waddington circling overhead, Typhoons and various aircraft from the BBMF often pass over and our house appears to be on the circuit used by the Cranwell training school planes which come over pretty much everyday (including 2 nights a week!). I also see the Grob training planes flying at Barkston Heath on my way to work most days. Unfortunately I have never been stopped on the A15 at Waddington for one of the E-3s landing.

However, on the morning of Tuesday 15th August I saw something I'd not seen before. I could hear a single fast jet manoeuvring high over the house for several minutes and so went out to have a look - it was very high and so I needed binoculars to see it remotely clearly. I expected it to be one of the usual Typhoons but it actually had twin vertical stabilizers. So I'm guessing it must have been either an F35 or an F22? It must have been over us for abut 15-20 minutes.

Can anybody clear up for me what it will have been? I didn't think that the UK had taken delivery of any F35s yet and I'm not aware of us having any F22s - so I am also assuming this was a US aircraft? Does anyone know what airfield this would have been operating from?

Thanks!

David

Alan425

Re: Help with sighting over Sleaford?

Post by Alan425 » Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:59 am

Most likely F-15's from Lakenheath.

Alan

david,pye

Re: Help with sighting over Sleaford?

Post by david,pye » Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:04 pm

Thanks Alan, that makes sense.

Will have to keep waiting for sight of an F35 then!

David

Return to “Lincolnshire, The Midlands & Rutland”