Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Very late night flying

Please post movements and activities to do with AAC Wattisham here
cottesmore09

Very late night flying

Post by cottesmore09 » Thu Jul 17, 2014 4:21 pm

Hi all,

Does anyone know the reason why Wattisham and its Apaches are flying at 2:30am in the morning?

Im not one to complain about flying at night as we all understand the training, but 2:30am for half an hour doing low level flying over the house is a quite a silly time to be up and about?

Thanks,

Cott09
RAF Families days website: www.raf-families-days.webs.com

2017 Airshows
RIAT (FRIAT Mach3)
Clacton Airshow
Scampton airshow Arrivals

Rerun57

Re: Very late night flying

Post by Rerun57 » Thu Jul 17, 2014 5:37 pm

It may be related to the level of darkness at this time of year and the need, for whatever reason, to be keeping night flying up to standard.

See:

http://astro.ukho.gov.uk/nao/miscellanea/birs2.html
Flash - Flash - Flash - Flash - Flash! Watch the Birdie!

Richard B

Post by Richard B » Thu Jul 17, 2014 6:29 pm

We had 2 Apache choppers flying around our village of Bulkington Warks up till around 22.00 last night.
seen them going in and out of Bramcote barracks, flying around the local area etc, made a nice sight on such a
nice evening sitting in the garden.

gary1701

Post by gary1701 » Fri Jul 18, 2014 7:47 pm

Hi,

They've been flying late all week. It's fairly common for Wattisham Apaches to be operating well after midnight at this time of year, although 2:30 AM seems a little late, even for them. I'm normally the last one to complain but one night this week there was one on the circuit for over half an hour gone midnight which probably did not go down very well with the locals.

I suspect part of the problem is the lack of serviceable aircraft that are available, as the same few aircraft are just turned around after each flight, rather than having more sorties at the same time. As they're currently in the process of mothballing 20 to 25% of the AH fleet then the situation probably isn't going to get any better, although they will have two less squadrons to train.

Gary
My photo website

My name's Wild Bill Kelso, and don't you forget it! - John Belushi, 1941.

SCARECROW

Post by SCARECROW » Sat Jul 19, 2014 9:24 pm

Same as us at Shawbury, its still quite light night flying wise so the training needs to be carried out when its as dark as possible.

Return to “AAC Wattisham”