Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Folly Road fence upgrade

Please post movements and activities to do with RAF Mildenhall here
filmman

Folly Road fence upgrade

Post by filmman » Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:35 pm

Today, metal barbed wire extension posts were being bolted onto the inside of the concrete fence posts where they bend out at the top of the chain link fencing; the metal posts lean into the Base.They had only fitted 12 posts from the gate at the end of Folly Road, heading East down the road when they finished for the day. However they had at least 300 to fit, which would cover about 1/2 a mile. They had already fitted posts going south from the gate. The new posts have three slits for barbed wire. I will either be buying a taller step ladder or modifying the current one. The positive side is that the new ladder will also easily look over the Lakenheath fence. I had lazily put off lengthening the steps, now I have to. We await the barbed wire.
The new running track and this fence upgrade does make you wonder if Mildenhall is closing or is it now a certainty with money being spent? :Oops:
Filmman

Ian1963

Re: Folly Road fence upgrade

Post by Ian1963 » Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:45 am

Loads of money is being spent at Mildenhall so its a good possibility it will close. :@

H.A.Bucken

Post by H.A.Bucken » Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:34 pm

Same as at Upper Heyford and Woodbridge, I guess.
Roger

apex

Post by apex » Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:03 pm

Are there any updates on the fence please?
Particularly, can you still shoot just above the chain link and under the first strand of barbed wire or are there now two lots of wire to shoot through, similar to Lakenheath? Is a four/five step ladder any good there now?
Any info appreciated as I might be spending a few days there very soon.

Pune

Post by Pune » Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:56 pm

I noticed last week that 'they' were installing new Razor Wire at the top of the fence around the corner of Johns field adjacent the trailer, also on the fence at the corner of the lane :'(
If you can keep your head whilst all around are losing theirs, you have probably completely misread the situation!!

filmman

Post by filmman » Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:47 pm

On Monday 24 Sept there had been no change at Folly Road, only 12 posts fitted; still no extra wire. I was told by someone from Johns' field that replacement razor wire was been put by the trailer. It would appear that security improvements are progressing erratically. I will update Folly Road progress as I visit the Hall and it's impact on stepladder use.
Filmman

slogen51

Post by slogen51 » Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:23 pm

Three additional horizontal strands of wire now stretch across the abovementioned fixtures down folly road. So the wire above the fence is in a Y configuration. It doesn't affect photography that much as you can shoot between the top of the fence and the lower two wires.

I have heard the next step is to install razor wire as well - time will tell.

Also a new inner fence on the other side of the running track where the red and white barriers have appeared is rumoured - depends how high it is?

filmman

Post by filmman » Wed Sep 26, 2018 8:15 pm

You mean they don't trust their own runners!
Well it looks like we are all on the up. Hopefully no pole vaulters will be sighted.
Filmman

Return to “RAF Mildenhall”