Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Parking at LN

Please post movements and activities to do with RAF Lakenheath here
NickC

Re: Parking at LN

Post by NickC » Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:26 pm

I remember when the field with the 24 approach lights in was not fenced off (up until approximately 20 years ago). It certainly made pulling off the A1065 and parking a lot easier. But I appreciate there are a number of very good reasons why the landowners would want to fence it off, and very much doubt they'd want to change it.

bizfreeq

Post by bizfreeq » Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:37 pm

More to the point, why should they, it's their land.
And, if by chance they were persuaded to and it was to be temporarily converted into car parking, what state would it be left in? The areas around it are being left in a right state, with rubbish everywhere, so it's fair to say that would happen there too. They sometimes use it to graze sheep, couldn't do that either if it was opened up for parking without the expense of new fencing.
It's not going to happen and, in fairness, nor should they be expected to do so as it seems some posts in this thread appear to be saying.
Cheers
Mark

If our airforces are never used, they have achieved their finest goal.
— General Nathan F. Twining

starfighter

Post by starfighter » Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:56 am

And not a single Well Done ,Thank You ,or Appreciate you taking the time to clear all the c@#p left both in the entrance and the field, which took over an hour.
Reason this was done was so when all the visiting so called aviation enthusiasts have gone ,whose of us that use this area on a weekly basis can still use it , before the land lords stop people from stopping here.
Yet the main gripe seems to be why there can’t be more room for more irresponsible people to leave the rubbish,and those that see rubbish and can’t be bothered to remove it ,”it’s not mine so why should I bother “
In time we will lose places like this ,Coningsby mound /25 field etc ,I no not all the rubbish was left by us but just looking at and doing oh fudge all will bo nothing for our Hobbie or name.
Sorry rant over.
Steve.

starfighter

Post by starfighter » Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:56 am

And not a single Well Done ,Thank You ,or Appreciate you taking the time to clear all the c@#p left both in the entrance and the field, which took over an hour.
Reason this was done was so when all the visiting so called aviation enthusiasts have gone ,whose of us that use this area on a weekly basis can still use it , before the land lords stop people from stopping here.
Yet the main gripe seems to be why there can’t be more room for more irresponsible people to leave the rubbish,and those that see rubbish and can’t be bothered to remove it ,”it’s not mine so why should I bother “
In time we will lose places like this ,Coningsby mound /25 field etc ,I no not all the rubbish was left by us but just looking at and doing oh fudge all will bo nothing for our Hobbie or name.
Sorry rant over.
Steve.

Andy_99

Post by Andy_99 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:52 pm

Right my thought's

1) Thank you to all those considerate people who don't park in stupid places, respect the rules & don't litter, you're a credit to us.
2) If you can't find a space nearby you have 3 choice's a) Get up earlier (I was arriving at 07:30 last time the F22 was over) b) Park somewhere else & walk or c) Come back later
3) Simple Solution, make the main road a clearway or tow-away zone then ensure it's policed as soon as 1 or 2 cars get removed the word will get out
4) More parking isn't the answer as soon as any additional parking is filled we'll be back to square 1

Another thanks to those considerate people who pick up the litter, hopefully it will mean the landowners will appreciate the work & not block access.

I do fear that the local landowners/USAF/Police will say enough is enough & close off the viewing area spoiling it for everyone.

Hawkwind26

Post by Hawkwind26 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:34 pm

But I bet the local who can "easily do the job" or advise how straightforward it would be to take a fence down, put up a temporary rope one and then reinstate the stock fence wouldn't be seen if he or she had to volunteer to marshall said temporary car park. Also bet my last shilling they don't take anyone else's litter or rubbish home.
Leave the right people to do their job, and be thankful you and many others have the pleasure and enjoyment of this facility whether or not it's on your doorstop or you've travelled a fair distance. It should always be fun, whether you're alone or with good company.
My thanks also to those that put in the unpaid effort so hundreds can continue to enjoy "The Heath".

Dave934

Post by Dave934 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:27 pm

Hawkwind26.
I offered one solution to the temporary parking problem.
There is no need at all for you to start slagging me off.
Dave.

markranger

Post by markranger » Thu Oct 11, 2018 4:22 pm

Can anyone confirm if Highways have put a sign up saying ,”No waiting “ on Verge at the 24 end?
Nikon D850
Nikon D600
Nikon D500
Nikon 300 F2.8 VR1

Smooth As Silk

Post by Smooth As Silk » Thu Oct 11, 2018 4:25 pm

Yes Mark, there today at 1530hrs as I drove past, more or less near the approach lights...about time too, only a matter of time before some knob jockey gets themselves trimmed out...

Ian1963

Post by Ian1963 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 4:34 pm

Massive thanks you to the hard working litter people who give up there time when a few inconsiderate visitors have gone home.

I just hope people abide by the parking rules before it’s to late.

Not trying to scare munger but I do know there was a urgent meeting with all local authorities today about this.

ITS NOT LOOKING GOOD for the future if things don’t change.

Enjoy it while you can

The Phantom

Post by The Phantom » Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:56 pm

We go through the same crap every time a few planes from abroad visit - be it LN or Coningsby.
It's a shame that the people who only turn up to these things (and clearly don't give a toss about anything other than themselves) are continuing to ruin it for all the decent enthusiasts who go :grr:

It would be so much easier in future if they just send any F-22's or F-35's to Spangdahlem instead. Save the aggro and ill-feeling that always gets left behind at LN each time!

Well done to Starfighter for taking the trouble to clear up other peoples mess as well :thumb:

ChrisCwmbran

Post by ChrisCwmbran » Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:33 pm

The Phantom wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:56 pm
It's a shame that the people who only turn up to these things (and clearly don't give a toss about anything other than themselves) are continuing to ruin it for all the decent enthusiasts who go :grr:
The same old crap gets repeated time after time. Just because you might have time to spend half your life at Lakenheath it doesn't make you any more of an enthusiast than someone who lives 400 miles away, works 9am - 5pm 6 days a week and can only make the trip to somewhere like Lakenheath a couple of times a year.

I'm self employed. I live in South Wales. I only make it to Lakenheath on during a week where I'm staying near Boston (Lincs) and that only happens 3 times a year. That doesn't mean I'm going to litter. It doesn't mean I'm going to park badly. Nor does it mean I am any less of an aviation enthusiast than you.

I also don't think we can blame non-aviation enthusiasts (or is it aviation non-enthusiasts) because I doubt Joe Public knows the difference between an F-15, F-18 or F-22. I know plenty of people who aren't aviation fans in particular who at some point in time have stopped in the visitor car park just to watch for a few minutes - perhaps for the purpose of the kids - but those people are certainly not going to rock up at Lakenheath to specifically see an F-18 or F-22.

Litter being dropped and poor parking are both completely wrong and I doubt anyone here either disputes that, or if they do would have the spine to tell us.

The simple matter of fact is that when available parking becomes exhausted people no matter who they are will result to non-optimal parking rather than having a wasted trip.

Humans being humans inevitably some will leave litter. Fortunately most people have the common sense and ethical values not to do so but there are going to be those who don't.

Please don't try to draw a line between those who can visit places like Lakenheath regularly and those who don't as the reason for these problems.

reaperops

Post by reaperops » Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:48 pm

How about a Park and Ride scheme from the Car Park at Mildenhall Sainsbury's to the Forest Entrance, Every twenty minutes...….

£50.00 pound return! and an opportunity to hang out with some of the best 'toggers' in the country (what ever that means!) in the business...…….
Here we go........ The Devils Knockin' at my door!

slogen51

Post by slogen51 » Sat Oct 13, 2018 6:13 am

Thats daft ! How would you get your 15' ladder on the bus

reaperops

Post by reaperops » Sat Oct 13, 2018 7:37 am

No need for ladders. Your fifty quid gets you exclusive use of cherry pickers located at key points, in the Forest Entrance, in the viewing area and wall to wall blue sky fun.

Whats not to like about that...#ThisHobby :roll: :roll:
Here we go........ The Devils Knockin' at my door!

slogen51

Post by slogen51 » Sat Oct 13, 2018 8:14 am

It's great to see a new wave of yonger people out and about ( by younger I mean under 35!). Digital photography has really revitalized a hobby that I felt was ageing - what was the average age of an Air Britain member?

It would be nice to see more younger loggers as well as ' toggers'.

You sound a bit Cheesed off - how about an open top bus down Folly road :)

captain scarlet

Post by captain scarlet » Sat Oct 13, 2018 8:57 am

slogen51 wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 8:14 am
It's great to see a new wave of yonger people out and about ( by younger I mean under 35!). Digital photography has really revitalized a hobby that I felt was ageing - what was the average age of an Air Britain member?

It would be nice to see more younger loggers as well as ' toggers'.
Younger loggers????? I'm not that old!!! ;) :lol: :lol:
Richard

Captain Scarlet is indestructable, you are not! Remember this, do not try to imitate him.

slogen51

Post by slogen51 » Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:28 am

'More'

A lot of new comers only do photos in my opinion , hope I am wrong.

captain scarlet

Post by captain scarlet » Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:40 am

Don't think they're into numbers these days,

I think logging goes back to the 70's when you could get Ian Allen books with all the numbers in and underline what you've seen. Being an ex civil servant I also tend to write a lot down so just see it as part of my day out. :lol:
Richard

Captain Scarlet is indestructable, you are not! Remember this, do not try to imitate him.

gramp.t

Post by gramp.t » Sat Oct 13, 2018 2:13 pm

Interesting and very valid points from ChrisCwmbran, I often get the feeling that "regulars" at various bases strongly resent non regulars ( certainly in any numbers ) and do
rather " Big up " the problems. It does seem though that it is an uphill struggle to expect some people to be considerate and thoughtful, and I too find that annoying and frustrating, especially picking up those peoples litter and food waste. Question is how can we develop a culture of care and consideration?

Return to “RAF Lakenheath”