Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Parking at LN

Please post movements and activities to do with RAF Lakenheath here
Ian1963

Parking at LN

Post by Ian1963 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:45 pm

Please everyone be careful how you park on the main road at the end of runway 24.

Please take all your rubbish with you.

Hope everyone enjoys themselves but please be considerate when you are gone for the regular users who use the viewing area.

There was a few moans and groans on lakenheath base today about the parking on the main road.

The last thing we want is the viewing area to shut. I am sur you all agree.

Take care all and thanks. :clap: :clap:

Philwinward

Re: Parking at LN

Post by Philwinward » Tue Oct 09, 2018 5:32 pm

Is the parking on the Warren as bad as the viewing area end of the airfield ?
Thinking of bringing the dog for a walk while I check out the flying.!!
Thanks in advance.

Phil

Ian1963

Post by Ian1963 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 5:54 pm

Hi Phil

It can be bring the dog enjoy yourself.

Ian

reaper493

Post by reaper493 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:30 pm

There was some crazy parking today. The very bumpy verge was used extensively, bet there are a few damaged undersides after that.....

Dave934

Post by Dave934 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:17 pm

There is a great big field we all stand in to get landing shots....why cant that be opened up for parking ? It would be so much safer.
Dave.

bizfreeq

Post by bizfreeq » Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:20 pm

:pop:
Cheers
Mark

If our airforces are never used, they have achieved their finest goal.
— General Nathan F. Twining

Mattaddiction

Post by Mattaddiction » Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:20 pm

Dave934 wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:17 pm
There is a great big field we all stand in to get landing shots....why cant that be opened up for parking ? It would be so much safer.
Dave.
Or the MoD 'field' right next to the viewing area, (or is there something special about that one?) you have to walk around to get the the end of 24??

While I saw some spectacularly stupid parking on the road at the top of the runway today which i don't condone at all, it would help if the local council, MoD and/or USAF aided the situation and a great 'local resource' by investing in and sorting ample parking (and signage to) to accommodate the amount of people that some times turn up.. More so as it's quite a family outing some times for a lot of people (I take my 10 year old in school holidays and often see a wide range of ages come school hol's times ) so the safer the better!

m

XWP29

Post by XWP29 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:33 pm

Dave934 wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:17 pm
Dave.
I checked the signs on the forest side by the 5 bar gate at the far end of the lights last week. It’s a reserve with open access and therefore very unlikely to be used as a car park?
GRIM REAPERS SUPPORTER

Nighthawke

Post by Nighthawke » Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:47 pm

The fenced area next to the viewing area is an SSSI (Site of Special Scientific Interest) and any incursion is subject to hefty fines, so no access at all especially cars.

As for parking on the road well I'm sorry but regardless of distance travelled, wherever you go you don't park dangerously "end of". Common sense "should" prevail but seemingly that is lacking in many.

A viewing area is provided which is adequate for most of the time so I cannot see any more investment forthcoming - and as a local council tax payer, rightly so.

Maybe the best investment would be double yellow lines on the A1065.

Taking cover...!

XWP29

Post by XWP29 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:02 pm

Nighthawke wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:47 pm
The fenced area next to the viewing area is an SSSI (Site of Special Scientific Interest) and any incursion is subject to hefty fines, so no access at all especially cars.

As for parking on the road well I'm sorry but regardless of distance travelled, wherever you go you don't park dangerously "end of". Common sense "should" prevail but seemingly that is lacking in many.

A viewing area is provided which is adequate for most of the time so I cannot see any more investment forthcoming - and as a local council tax payer, rightly so.

Maybe the best investment would be double yellow lines on the A1065.

Taking cover...!
Agree with your post except instead of double yellows it could become a clear way.
GRIM REAPERS SUPPORTER

Nighthawke

Post by Nighthawke » Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:05 pm

Yep - any appropriate restriction :)

stupot27

Post by stupot27 » Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:19 pm

I agree to
Why should we local have an increase in our council tax to pay or upgrade the existing viewers car park which is more than adicute

Dave934

Post by Dave934 » Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:46 pm

How much would it cost to take a section of fence down in the field with the landing lights in, and put a rope up about 100mt's away from the landing lights ?
When the deployment is finished...put it all back up.
A temporary car park that would take cars off of a major road, and be a lot safer.
I could do the work myself !!
Dave.
PS...They opened up a temporary car park in the forest entrance when the thunderbirds were in at LN...when was that? A long time ago maybe in the late 90's ??

Nighthawke

Post by Nighthawke » Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:04 pm

Talk to Elveden Estates (land owners) and the relevant Highways Authority and they will probably tell you why it wouldn't be done.

Oh and the T'birds visit was 1991.

starfighter

Post by starfighter » Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:42 pm

Parking just as stupid today ,no respect for the wood HGV’s ,must say most ,but not all the waywood parking was being carried out by non uk cars. Managed to fill 4 large sacks of rubbish from 24 end so looks a little better ( no room in car for the ironing board.
Steve.

Hawkwind26

Post by Hawkwind26 » Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:44 pm

Dave934 wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:46 pm
How much would it cost to take a section of fence down in the field with the landing lights in, and put a rope up about 100mt's away from the landing lights ?
A temporary car park that would take cars off of a major road, and be a lot safer.
Dave.
PS...They opened up a temporary car park in the forest entrance when the thunderbirds were in at LN...when was that? A long time ago maybe in the late 90's ??
Because,
1.They don't want the general public under the final landing approach or just after take off in case of a mishap.
2. Nor, near the ALS, approach lights for security and as above.
It's all common sense really, and only occurs when there are multiple and unusual air frames present. The rest of the time it's fine.
I arrived about 10.30 and within a couple of minutes of waiting managed to find a spot in the viewing area car park. They turn a blind eye to parking on the roadside verges even though they're designated as wild flower areas of importance due to some orchids, when it's busy.

Dave934

Post by Dave934 » Wed Oct 10, 2018 3:13 pm

Hawkwind26 wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:44 pm
Dave934 wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:46 pm
Dave.
Because,
1.They don't want the general public under the final landing approach or just after take off in case of a mishap.
2. Nor, near the ALS, approach lights for security and as above.
It's all common sense really, and only occurs when there are multiple and unusual air frames present. The rest of the time it's fine.
I arrived about 10.30 and within a couple of minutes of waiting managed to find a spot in the viewing area car park. They turn a blind eye to parking on the roadside verges even though they're designated as wild flower areas of importance due to some orchids, when it's busy.
EXACTLY my point ! Keep cars off of the main road AND away from the lights...cars are parked all along the Brandon road and across the lights/runway.
Open the field and everyone can park safely....or don't open the field and everyone will continue to do what we have seen in the last couple of days....it's obvious.
IF permission could be gained to open the field as a temporary car park it wouldn't cost hardly anything to achieve, or, we have one major accident along that road and everything will change for us spotters.
It doesn't matter to me...I'm at work !!! :clap: EDIT (The parking)
Dave.

Ian1963

Post by Ian1963 » Wed Oct 10, 2018 3:46 pm

This is a military working base and I think people have forgotten this.

That means the viewing area can be shut at any time double yellow lines put inn and that means no viewing anymore.

There are important runway lights and the instruments landing system near the end of runway 24.

rh226

Post by rh226 » Wed Oct 10, 2018 5:19 pm

Photography rules...…….common sense doesn't :roll: :roll:

EDIT:- With apologies to the sensible photographers.
Cheers, Bob

The Phantom

Post by The Phantom » Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:27 pm

Another military exercise at a base - another lot of chaos! :roll:

Crazy parking, rubbish left everywhere - what a surprise!
I suppose the next thing is when some idiot cuts a hole in the fence!

Return to “RAF Lakenheath”