Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

RAF LAKENHEATH : Parking & Litter Complaints

Please post movements and activities to do with RAF Lakenheath here
paddyboy

Re: RAF LAKENHEATH : Parking & Litter Complaints

Post by paddyboy » Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:35 am

Sorry if I have unintentionally offended anyone :(

Mike (Slogen) is spot on: I was only referring to those persons who turn up once or twice a year just when something 'big' or unsual is on :@

No offence to anyone else ever intended ;)

The viewing area was so close to being shut you would not believe it :(

Paddyboy :clap:
XH558, always the first lady in my life
Just remember, please don't tell the wife

GRIM REAPERS SUPPORTER

The Phantom

Post by The Phantom » Tue Apr 25, 2017 7:53 am

The rest of us knew what you meant Paddy.

Unfortunately these 'big' events (8 aircraft!) nowadays attract a bad element of people who don't care less what they do or what mess they make - as we witness in everyday life now. I'm just thankful these people weren't about when the F-111s and the like were about.

davekench

Post by davekench » Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:00 am

I was at Lakenheath yesterday (1st time for a few months) and was amazed by the amount of cars parked in the forest entrance beyond the entrance and parking signs, I agree is was busy but I am sure you drive a car with you feet/legs, can't people walk from the Spotter enclosure road like many did? And another moan what about the people standing in the field under the approach taking photos, underside of planes? I thought that area was out of bounds.
Rant over!

The Phantom

Post by The Phantom » Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:04 am

davekench wrote: And another moan what about the people standing in the field under the approach taking photos, underside of planes? I thought that area was out of bounds.
I was always told it was - if standing among the landing lights - by members of this club while stood talking at LN (not that i particularly want to stand under a 20 ton jet on finals anyway) They said it can antagonise the base and cause bad feeling, so i've never gone anywhere near - and plus you have a large enough field to go many other areas anyway.
But i guess if doing it at the moment was a problem then the police would've been along for a chat.

jingernut

Post by jingernut » Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:11 am

ChrisCwmbran wrote:Paddyboy,
For the record whilst slightly off topic I was at Fairford last year when the F35s flew into the UK for the first time, I observed two people who I know to be outspoken members of this forum (and no I'm not naming them) talking about how disgusting it was that the place was "flooded with f*cking normals" and then throwing a half eaten bag of chips into a hedge.
I'd name and shame them to be honest.

ChrisCwmbran

Post by ChrisCwmbran » Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:50 am

jingernut wrote:
ChrisCwmbran wrote:Paddyboy,
For the record whilst slightly off topic I was at Fairford last year when the F35s flew into the UK for the first time, I observed two people who I know to be outspoken members of this forum (and no I'm not naming them) talking about how disgusting it was that the place was "flooded with f*cking normals" and then throwing a half eaten bag of chips into a hedge.
I'd name and shame them to be honest.
If I could prove it was more than a one off I would. I just think people need to acknowledge that you cannot blame it all on the casual aviation enthusiast.

For the record, I'm not a hard core enthusiast. I live in South Wales which is pretty dire for aviation photography. I tend to spend a couple of weeks a year at Coningsby (partly visiting relatives). Usually when I'm at Coningsby I take the opportunity to pop down to Lakenheath and Mildenhall for a day. Sometimes I'm in luck with the weather and get some reasonable pictures, other times I come back with nothing. I'm not interested in aircraft serial numbers etc but consider myself to be a casual aviation fan (in fact all kinds of aircraft, ships, trains etc). but I'd never litter.

reaperops

Post by reaperops » Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:33 pm

I don't really care much for people's justifications in this post. At the end of the day irrespective of the reason and frequency of visiting etc, etc, common sense and the law says you should
park responsibly and remove litter. If people followed common sense then posts like wouldn't be needed.

Its quite simple, people. Just be respectful before its cocked up for everyone!
Here we go........ The Devils Knockin' at my door!

deerhunter

Post by deerhunter » Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:53 pm

I dont get time to visit LN as often as I would like, but the thought of the access being taken away doesnt bear thinking about.

People should have pride but I know there are @:>?£$ out there who couldnt give a toss. They are not interested as we are, they just visit to see a rarity, not caring about parking, litter etc. You never see them again, you dont see them in the depths of winter freezing by the fence, they are not enthusiasts , Paddy used the correct term.

I know what I`m going to do though, any I see littering will be photographed and reported, and put on every social media I can think of, I dont give a *&^% about them but I do care about the regulars , our great hobby and the facilities we have.

If you are a litterer and on this site watch out !!!!!!!!
Canon 5D Mk4 plus long lenses, and lots of hope!

GRIM REAPERS SUPPORTER

paddyboy

Post by paddyboy » Tue Apr 25, 2017 3:06 pm

Thanks for the support, guys :thumb:

I just got sooooo frustrated at the lack of thought and care by the obviously non-aviation types, and their cavalier attitude to anything and anyone but themselves :(

I suppose that is just how some people live their lives generally :(

GRIM REAPERS SUPPORTER

XWP29

Post by XWP29 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:23 pm

Hi Paddy
Don't worry about it, it is an emotive subject the thought of not being able to stand by the wire in all weathers watching the reapers and the 48th is a sad one indeed.
GRIM REAPERS SUPPORTER

Doughnut

Post by Doughnut » Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:38 pm

The problem with all these posts about litter and parking is that the culprits do not read this Forum and simply do not know they are being moaned at.
If they are causal passers by who stop because they see a crowd, or a low flying aircraft, they probably have no idea there is such a thing as an official viewing area, and unless they ask no idea what they are looking at either !!

GreenBat

Post by GreenBat » Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:33 pm

reaperops wrote:I don't really care much for people's justifications in this post. At the end of the day irrespective of the reason and frequency of visiting etc, etc, common sense and the law says you should
park responsibly and remove litter. If people followed common sense then posts like wouldn't be needed.

Its quite simple, people. Just be respectful before its cocked up for everyone!
Absolutely spot on :pop:

paul1978

Post by paul1978 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:40 pm

I know I don't get to go to Lakenheath that much . I do try and get to Marham at least once a week . But I live in a good spot in the flightpath for all three.
Paddy you didnt affend me I just wish I could get there as much as I would like.
I think you guys that go every day summer winter all weathers deserve a big thank because you keep all us one that cant make the trip updated . It makes me laugh sometimes I had a couple in my taxi the other day they said there a lot off flying to day I replyed you don't know nothing should of been round here in the 80 and 90 when we had the F-111 , A-10 about. They were the good old days .
From Me a big thank you for all you do on this web site and keep up the good work

TankBuster

Post by TankBuster » Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:57 pm

Just a shame that the litterbugs' cant put their rubbish back in their lunch boxes, or carrier bags & then take it home.
Its not hard is it?

Shame that the local council dont also have the resources to put an employee on the ground during busy days at LN, just to keep an eye out & dish out on the spot fines to the offenders!

TankBuster
And there's plenty more where that came from!

albur99

Post by albur99 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 7:27 pm

Glad that this topic has been raised - I loathe litter!

However I am not sure how much difference our collective "disgust" will actually make. I think we need to lead by example.

I will be doing one of my 3-4 visits a year to LN thurs aft/fri morning this week. (F-35s pleease dont fly away!)

I will bring (as well as camera, lenses, batteries, scanner, thick jacket etc) some black binliners.

..and when/if things get boring, I will walk round and pick up other peoples litter.

I will do my bit....

best regards
Alan

fires999

Post by fires999 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 7:40 pm

Paddyboy,
You know that we are all behind you and your comments, lets hope we can educate those who visit and hopefully keep things clean.
I know it might sound dramatic , but a single piece of unwanted litter that strays the wrong side of the fence can cause all sorts of issues to aircraft - 30 seconds walking it to a litter bin or the car isn't much to ask...is it ? :'(

Kev :thumb:
" Who is Skyking ?.....And will he ever answer ? "

apex

Post by apex » Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:44 pm

albur99 wrote:Glad that this topic has been raised - I loathe litter!

However I am not sure how much difference our collective "disgust" will actually make. I think we need to lead by example.

I will be doing one of my 3-4 visits a year to LN thurs aft/fri morning this week. (F-35s pleease dont fly away!)

I will bring (as well as camera, lenses, batteries, scanner, thick jacket etc) some black binliners.

..and when/if things get boring, I will walk round and pick up other peoples litter.

I will do my bit....

best regards
Alan

In that case I applaud you sir.

If I was more local and going back home each night after a day at the fence, I would do the same.

Some gloves might be wise also, maybe some spares as well, as hopefully you will encourage others with your fine example.

romeo bravo

Post by romeo bravo » Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:26 am

paddyboy wrote: I just got sooooo frustrated at the lack of thought and care by the obviously non-aviation types, and their cavalier attitude to anything and anyone but themselves :(
Whilst I applaud the sentiments, it is not just 'non-aviation types' that cause the problems; a board stroke approach to a larger problem. We have all seen comments around the UK when something different appears, just remember Coningsby when VERA was here or the Lossie issues last year, and these were not just 'non-aviation types', they were so-called aviation enthusiasts; just look at the plethora of photos that appear during their visits. Just look what is happening over at John's place at Mildenhall, all over a £1, or Duxford's 'Naughty Field' or Shuttleworth with Hill Lane during displays.

It is a generic problem (and not just aviation related) where people think they can park anywhere, just open their car window and dropping rubbish because they cant be bothered to walk 5ft to a bin or enter a 'no access' areas which could actually endanger life if something went wrong; the list goes on.

I've been doing this hobby for years, going back to the early 80s, and have seen a big change in attitudes of the so-called enthusiasts and complainants, almost turning into NIMBYs as it never happens when they are around. In the days before social media and the internet, information got out by listening to the primitive airband radios (loved my AOR 1000), word of mouth or via BARG, so we had lower numbers which was much better!!

We have a section called 'Spotter spotting', may be a good place to start showing poor skills such as parking, littering and/or standing!!

paddyboy

Post by paddyboy » Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:32 pm

Hi Peeps :P

You have all eased my mind no end, to know it is not just me who is so frustrated and incandescent at what has happened at LN/MH/CGY and other places :thumbs:

All we can do, as has been said, is lead by example and challenge any of the morons we see about their poor attitude ;)

Very best regards and thanks for your support :thumbs:

GRIM REAPERS SUPPORTER

Philwinward

Post by Philwinward » Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:14 pm

Paddy, It's not you but seems to be a generation problem.Was walking the dog late afternoon a couple of Saturdays ago. As we went past the village chippy the remains of someone's fish & chips was thrown out of a parked Fiesta onto the pavement infront of us, just missing the dog. The passenger door was then opened and when I asked them if they were going to pick up up their rubbish,they replied no and threw more out! By now I had my phone out ready to photograph the car and their mess.When they realised this the driver told his passenger to "effing get out and pick it up". The passenger refused and the car sped off. Thats when I realised that while this was going on the dog had eaten the evidence. There were 2 rubbish bins provided by the chippy within 10 feet of this incident,both only part full , so they had no excuse. It's amazing how brave you are when you have a dog with you even if it's only a Border Collie !!

Phil

Return to “RAF Lakenheath”