Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

B-1B Bombers Grounded

Please post movements and activities to do with RAF Fairford here
vader

Re: B-1B Bombers Grounded

Post by vader » Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:26 pm

On polish fb group one guy said that due to B1 are grounded, B2 was flying over Poland today. But there is no info on FFD forum. Any confirmation?
N 10" 'Simon II', EOS 70D, Uniden UBC125XLT

Blujag4211

Post by Blujag4211 » Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:56 pm

Bu¿¿er damn n blast !! Just my rotton luck , I've been planning and looking forward to a few days at Fairford for months . Oh well thats the way it goes I suppose , at least Cosford is looking excellent this year , I'll maybe divert to Brize , anyone here that can help with best viewing points or will i visit Brize forum ? TiA Jon.

Gary
Administrator

Post by Gary » Sat Jun 09, 2018 12:37 am

I've tidied the thread up, because I've got nothing better to do in the early hours of Saturday morning.
Posh BSM Trophy winners 2024

Soundbarrier

Post by Soundbarrier » Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:29 pm

Any good photo opportunities at the South West loop now the B-1s are grounded? Are all (4) parked here? Haven't seen any recent pics from here yet ... :'(

GT3ZZZ

Post by GT3ZZZ » Mon Jun 11, 2018 4:25 pm

From another forum:

On May 1st, 2018 a two ship out of Dyess Air Force Base dealt with a situation that no pilot wants to ever encounter. The incident involved a Rockwell B-1B Lancer 86-0109/DY named "Spectre", which was built back in 1986. During flight they encountered an over wing fairing (OWF) fire indication on fire warning panel climbing out of low level, followed by #3 engine fire indications. Crew then executed checklist for both, including fire bottles, but OWF light did not go out. The aircraft commander then called for manual ejection. Auto means that if anyone in the front station punches everyone goes regardless if seat is safed or pinned. Manual means that an individual physically has to pull their handle. The offensive system officer (OSO) was the first to pull, that’s why the missing hatch seat retracted and the hatch departed. When the seat did not go up the rails the crew were left with two options at that point. Continue manual ejection for the other crew which means the OSO would ride the jet into the dirt or take the jet as far as they could while maintaining aircraft control and try to save the OSO, which is why the crew elected to land at Midland Airport. That type of Emergency Procedure (EP) has never been successfully recovered in the B-1.

The IFE occurred towards the end of the sortie coming off Instrument Route 178 which is a level route along the Texas and Mexico border. After the failed ejection, there was approximately 15 or more minutes of flight before landing. It is assumed the crew had helmets with masks attached for oxygen. The hatch that blew off has yet to be recovered. The photo of the B-1 in the hangar shows burn marks in the OWF, which appears to be caused by the fire that that crew observed in flight. Explosive Ordnance Disposal (EOD) was on scene after the landing due to the seat shielded mild detonation cords (SMDC). There is no guidance for failed ejection in the Technical Orders (TO). The OSO would have died for sure and there was potential to loose the entire crew racing to Midland trying to save the OSO. Instead the crew made the choice to stay with the OSO and luckily the IP stayed calm and acted to save the life of the crew and B-1B. For that, we believe the IP and crew should all be recognized for their heroic actions that day, which brought credit upon themselves and the United States Air Force.

mdobuk21

Post by mdobuk21 » Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:44 pm

Soundbarrier wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:29 pm
Any good photo opportunities at the South West loop now the B-1s are grounded? Are all (4) parked here? Haven't seen any recent pics from here yet ... :'(
Hi

I was there this morning, all four visible and good photo opportunity if you are prepared to do a bit of a walk around the perimeter fence!

Mark

Soundbarrier

Post by Soundbarrier » Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:29 am

Thanks Mark for the info ... :thumb:

TREBAX_RAVEN

Post by TREBAX_RAVEN » Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:15 pm

Its all gone very quite.....
Tribute to 47 squadron

bizfreeq

Post by bizfreeq » Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:22 pm

Well it would be, there's nothing happening!
Cheers
Mark

If our airforces are never used, they have achieved their finest goal.
— General Nathan F. Twining

TREBAX_RAVEN

Post by TREBAX_RAVEN » Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:25 pm

Well it would be, there's nothing happening!
so i see...
Is there any more news as to when they are going back?
Tribute to 47 squadron

bizfreeq

Post by bizfreeq » Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:27 pm

When they are released to fly again. The only people who will know that are the USAF! And I suspect even they don't know yet.
Cheers
Mark

If our airforces are never used, they have achieved their finest goal.
— General Nathan F. Twining

GVLCN

Post by GVLCN » Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:37 pm

Depends on the root cause in the malfunction, if it’s a design flaw in the ejection seat then the manufacturers will have to make modifications. I would hesitate a guess & say they will still be there come RIAT!

Dan D'Air

Post by Dan D'Air » Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:48 pm

GVLCN wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:37 pm
Depends on the root cause in the malfunction, if it’s a design flaw in the ejection seat then the manufacturers will have to make modifications. I would hesitate a guess & say they will still be there come RIAT!
I wonder which static aircraft could be cancelled due to lack of space, if this does become the case?
Dan
"Shakin the tree boss, shakin the tree"

Timmo

Post by Timmo » Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:08 pm

Dan D'Air wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:48 pm
GVLCN wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:37 pm
I wonder which static aircraft could be cancelled due to lack of space, if this does become the case?
In the event that the B-1s remain grounded until the Air Tattoo, I don't think any aircraft would be cancelled due to lack of space. Fairford has a mass of hardstanding and could easily accommodate an extra three aircraft of that size - one B-1 is already scheduled to attend. Remember IAT/RIAT static parks of the late 80s and 90s? Those shows were bigger than present RIATs, and also prior to the taxiways being widened in 2000/2001. There is also nothing to say that the USAF have to present the B-1s in the static park. I think it would be more likely that three would be towed to the north side of the airfield, although all four lined up would be an impressive spectacle.

GVLCN

Post by GVLCN » Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:37 am

Aircraft overseas including the ones at Fairford have been prioritised, have also read that the parts do exist to fix the problem so hopefully they will be back in the air soon.
If they were still there come RIAT, you can’t really hide 4 big bombers like that & im sure the crews would love to show them off!

James Cutting

Post by James Cutting » Sat Jun 16, 2018 1:06 pm

The bombers will be moved, out of sight from all of us, they wouldn’t be put on show.
"Grim Reapers Supporter"

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/99536938@N06/

James Cutting

Post by James Cutting » Sat Jun 16, 2018 1:08 pm

And most likely be gone.
"Grim Reapers Supporter"

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/99536938@N06/

Supra

Post by Supra » Sun Jun 17, 2018 8:41 am

James Cutting wrote:
Sat Jun 16, 2018 1:06 pm
The bombers will be moved, out of sight from all of us, they wouldn’t be put on show.
 by James Cutting » Sat Jun 16, 2018 1:08 pm
"And most likely be gone."

Opinion based upon what? Whilst you've got the Crystal Ball out, what's the final score for Monday 18th match? :roll:

Return to “RAF Fairford”