Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Complete list of B-2As to have visited FFD

Please post movements and activities to do with RAF Fairford here
Allotmental

Re: Complete list of B-2As to have visited FFD

Post by Allotmental » Fri Feb 12, 2016 1:16 pm

Sorry to jump straight into a really interesting thread but I worked on the airfield redevelopment in the early 2000's and can confirm that the surface is ridiculously strong. There is a buried structure at the 09 end that beggars belief that deals with expansion/ contraction issues. We were told at the time that the air field was going back into regular service. Shame it hasn't and it seems like an awful lot of money to spend for RIAT.

baz1

Post by baz1 » Fri Feb 12, 2016 8:52 pm

Skywatcher wrote:Nope ,I think you will find USAF state they are B-2A Spirits,so by that think I'm right :)
Edit,thanks for link Mushbuster,just was thinking be useful to have a list purely on FC :)
And iv updated the list to include IAT 97 first landing of B-2A on UK soil
All the best
Max
Edit :Baz1, I would love to know the serials so if you could find them in your logbook that would be awsoume,also won't mind seeing the pics you mention
Edit: Storms in Africa,why won't Spirit of Kansas come back?was it the one that crashed on Guam?any info known appricated :)
Anyhow ,I thought they repaired that recently ??
i have found one log book the log for SAT 3/4/99 that's when in went down to view the B52/ B1B Deployment so i guess it would be either 1998/99 ??
Comfortably Numb

StormsInAfrica

Post by StormsInAfrica » Sat Feb 13, 2016 7:22 pm

Did one stay over while the BUFFs were in for Iraq in 2003? I'm certain it landed 09 end and left same day.

Spitfire88

Post by Spitfire88 » Sat Feb 13, 2016 7:43 pm

I have spoken to a number of people who work on the Base and I myself have lived in Fairford all my life and we have all been told fairford will be active again soon, there is a lot of work being done internally to the building on Base also.

Skywatcher
Location: Under the approach to runway 27 raf fairford supporter

Post by Skywatcher » Sun Feb 14, 2016 8:14 am

baz1 wrote:
Skywatcher wrote:Nope ,I think you will find USAF state they are B-2A Spirits,so by that think I'm right :)
Edit,thanks for link Mushbuster,just was thinking be useful to have a list purely on FC :)
And iv updated the list to include IAT 97 first landing of B-2A on UK soil
All the best
Max
Edit :Baz1, I would love to know the serials so if you could find them in your logbook that would be awsoume,also won't mind seeing the pics you mention
Edit: Storms in Africa,why won't Spirit of Kansas come back?was it the one that crashed on Guam?any info known appricated :)
Anyhow ,I thought they repaired that recently ??
i have found one log book the log for SAT 3/4/99 that's when in went down to view the B52/ B1B Deployment so i guess it would be either 1998/99 ??
Thanks for that ,will do some more investigating to comferim that ,Storms in Africa,I have been here since 2001,can't say I saw any B-2As here during that Conflict,not even sure they where used over Iraq in 2003 OEF/OIF ,will speak to a few people just to cheek ,but can't be certain an answer will come,unless the USAF are keeping it all quiet :ninja: :ninja: ,I'll see what I can do to cheek though .
edit: just seen why Spirit of Kansas wont be coming back, the crews where lucky that day!! :pop: :(
All the best
Max
Last edited by Skywatcher on Sun Feb 14, 2016 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Spirit watcher/BUFF fan/96thBS/420th air base Squadron supporter

Please like my Facebook page -Raf Fairford photography and news -

EGDR

Post by EGDR » Sun Feb 14, 2016 10:14 am

They were used in 2003 but flew from Whiteman and Diego Garcia.

graham luxton

Post by graham luxton » Sun Feb 14, 2016 11:22 am

Think its inconceivable, even in the 1990's, that a B-2 would visit in daylight and the fact wouldn't be widely known about or reported by enthusiasts.

I therefore suggest that the only candidate for this visit is 82-1067 on Wed 10 March'99. Along with a few others, I was at the West end when this arrived and departed on Rwy 09 in overcast and very dull conditions. Pre take off checks were carried out on the taxiway abeam the B-52 parking area which resulted in it speeding past the gathered audience by the crash gate and straight onto the runway - would this description match with what you saw Baz?

cheers,
Graham

baz1

Post by baz1 » Sun Feb 14, 2016 8:34 pm

graham luxton wrote:Think its inconceivable, even in the 1990's, that a B-2 would visit in daylight and the fact wouldn't be widely known about or reported by enthusiasts.

I therefore suggest that the only candidate for this visit is 82-1067 on Wed 10 March'99. Along with a few others, I was at the West end when this arrived and departed on Rwy 09 in overcast and very dull conditions. Pre take off checks were carried out on the taxiway abeam the B-52 parking area which resulted in it speeding past the gathered audience by the crash gate and straight onto the runway - would this description match with what you saw Baz?

cheers,
Graham
Graham. still searching for other logbook, but have loads of pics to look through and see if I can tie the serial up that way.
regards
Baz
Comfortably Numb

Return to “RAF Fairford”