Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

RAF Lynehams Final Days

Please post movements and activities to do with RAF Lyneham here
chazzer

RAF Lynehams Final Days

Post by chazzer » Mon Dec 24, 2012 7:53 am

With only 6 days to go untill Lyneham relinquishes its RAF Status I thought I would like to ask if anyone knows what is happening to the Comet Gate guardian as I drove past the main gate last Saturday and saw that its still there in its place.
Any thoughts on its future.
We had a J hercules almost land on ruway 27 wednesday morning about 8.30 it came over my house very low with wheels down and lights on.
I got dressed as quickly as I could and rushed outside to see our Visitor but it had gone as quickly as it came.
Lovely sound from those engines as it passed over my house.Brought back some lovely memories.
Chazzer

mhm

Re: RAF Lynehams Final Days

Post by mhm » Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:54 am

A military airbase in Wiltshire has shut prior to its conversion into a defence training centre.

The MoD made the decision to close RAF Lyneham in 2002 as part of a strategic review of military bases.

Last year, the Hercules transporter planes were moved to RAF Brize Norton in Oxfordshire along with many of the 4,500 military and civilian personnel.

A ceremony to mark the closure of the unit as an RAF station took place earlier in December.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-wiltshire-20873865" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Regards
Mike

Return to “RAF Lyneham”