Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Scampton Air Show

Posts relating to information and discussion on the Scampton Airshow
Thunder

Re: Scampton Air Show

Post by Thunder » Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:59 am

PC4 wrote:A new large UK airshow with participation from Belgium, Canada, France, Germany, Holland and Norway, I would not call that anywhere near drivel.
Well I'm glad you're happy, because I wouldn't call the line up so far( with the exception of the Canadians)anything else.

reaper493

Post by reaper493 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:47 am

plmc135

Post by plmc135 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:58 am

Isn't it amazing! When it was announced that there would be no more shows at Waddington, everyone started to whinge. Now that an attempt is being made to provide some form of show in Lincolnshire what happens, even more whinging.

People need to be grateful that any attempt is being made to replace Waddington, and remember the main audience is not aircraft spotters but the people of Lincolnshire, who support the highest number of bases in the UK and also have a great history with the RAF going back in time.

The answer is if you don't like what is attending then don't go, but please do not go on whinging.

RollTideUK

Post by RollTideUK » Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:51 pm

I was really pleased when the show was announced but when I saw how much the tickets were I decided that was far too much for me. £39 for a show that was always going to be thin in content is ridiculous.

peasus911

Post by peasus911 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:01 pm

plmc135 wrote:Isn't it amazing! When it was announced that there would be no more shows at Waddington, everyone started to whinge. Now that an attempt is being made to provide some form of show in Lincolnshire what happens, even more whinging.

People need to be grateful that any attempt is being made to replace Waddington, and remember the main audience is not aircraft spotters but the people of Lincolnshire, who support the highest number of bases in the UK and also have a great history with the RAF going back in time.

The answer is if you don't like what is attending then don't go, but please do not go on whinging.
Well said Sir. :clap:
Looking forward to the show. I feel by going I could be investing for the future of the show and giving the very hard work undertaken by scores of people a pat on the back.

The Cat

Post by The Cat » Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:28 am

The Cat wrote:With most of the
BBMF now grounded due to engine problems will there be ANY aircraft
there ? ? ?
Purely an update for those that didn't know. If the engine issue is still there we can perhaps hope 'extras' could be pulled in

LecLightning56

Post by LecLightning56 » Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:36 am

I have purchased a ticket for the airshow and indeed look forward to enjoying the event. I have no intention to whinge but I would just like to make an observation about the 'padding out' of the attendees with civilian light aircraft (don't get me wrong I love the chippie and have taken control of one). I attended the 80th anniversary of the Leconfield military base in East Yorkshire recently (an army base now for vehicle training but formally an RAF base with Lightnings in its latter days), and the only aircraft in attendance were indeed a selection of six civilian light aircraft. Whereas the barn-storming display given was very original and entertaining, the point being not one military aircraft displayed, not even anything from the Army Air Corps (I had hoped for an Apache). So, it may be little coincidence that Scampton is of a similar frame of mind for public entertainment in the display arena that a large contingent of interesting but slightly off theme aircraft have made the list and not a similar offering of modern (and maybe also vintage) military aircraft. That said, there is still three weeks to go and I shall give the organisers the benefit of the doubt in proving that they can pull in a good few more of direct interest to military enthusiasts. By the way, I did notice the Northrop Grumman logo emblazoned on the Scampton Air Show website. Too much to ask for a B-2 flypast (not the Blackburn B2, of course!)? Despite this American advertising, I also note that there is not one USAF participant, despite its 70th anniversary year, or do organisers perceive that the RIAT celebration was enough (not everyone managed to attend RIAT)?

RollTideUK

Post by RollTideUK » Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:53 pm

My local online rag is going somewhat overboard about the fly past of the Red Arrows and Sentinel/E-3. It would suggest to me that the organisers are desperate to drum up some enthusiasm for what is a deeply disappointing line up. It would also suggest that they won't be adding much else or anything to the line up.

Vulcanone

Post by Vulcanone » Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:09 am

Well yesterdays update includes the 41 Sqn special Typhoon, a DHFS AS350, and an Atlas from Brize.

Freeman Lowell

Post by Freeman Lowell » Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:34 pm

Perhaps we could have examples of one or two of the RAF's new training aircraft at the show. Has anyone got some phone numbers that they could pass to the organisers? :whistle:
Freeman
It’s not what you look at that matters. It’s what you see.

jules50

Post by jules50 » Fri Aug 25, 2017 3:01 pm

Swedish Historic flight confirmed for static

Rockstar

Post by Rockstar » Fri Aug 25, 2017 3:02 pm

The Swedes are coming. Fingers crossed the ongoing discussions around flying participation come to something. Lansen will be great to see.
We are delighted to confirm that the Swedish Historic Flight/Saab Silver Wings will be taking part in the inaugural Scampton Airshow as part of the static display! Our ambition was to have one or more of the aircraft feature in the Scampton Flying Display and we will continue with these efforts.

The Swedish Air Force Historic Flight/Saab Silver Wings was formed under the name of the Västgöta Veteran Fly Association in 1997 and first flew with two Hawker Hunters. The team now operates a wide variety of aircraft from its base in Satenäs.

Visiting Scampton Airshow to join the static display line up will be:

•AJS 37 Viggen
•SK 35C Draken
•J32 Lansen
•J29 Tunnan
These amazing and rare Cold War aircraft will be on the ground for you to look around along with their pilots and crews who will be more than happy to meet you and answer your questions!

peasus911

Post by peasus911 » Fri Aug 25, 2017 4:42 pm

And a Pembroke and Anson flying announced in the week. As you say fingers crossed for one of the Swedes to take to the air. Nice one Scampton. :thumbs:

Brasso

Post by Brasso » Sun Aug 27, 2017 9:34 pm

Price is a bit steep for the first show but give it a couple of years and fingers crossed it will develop and be a great offering.

Supra

Post by Supra » Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:40 am

Wow! Using some of their bursting coffers to finance the SwAFHF bringing 4 x Jets all the way to Scampton just to collect cobwebs, unbelievable!
For 'Joe Punter' they're just airplanes, for the enthusiast they've probably all been seen before, flying at Waddington or elsewhere. With regard to "Our ambition was to have one or more".... that's gotta be flagrant carrot dangling!
The SwAFHF have chosen not to comply with the post-Shoreham PDA requirements up to now, why would that change in the next couple of weeks?
Cunning 'Plan B' could see one of the jets arrive early, then the Scampton Airshow Organisers sponsor the fuel & flight-hours necessary to gain a UK PDA for a flying show? Okay, I concede a better chance of Pigs flying!!! :O
This isssue of them 'display flying' is certainly one I would genuinely love to be wrong about. :D

POL

Post by POL » Mon Aug 28, 2017 11:24 am

Supra wrote:The SwAFHF have chosen not to comply with the post-Shoreham PDA requirements up to now, why would that change in the next couple of weeks?
Why should they spend more of their money just because the CAA has changed the goalposts? You make it sound like it's the SwAFHF's fault!

Supra

Post by Supra » Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:35 pm

Absolutely NOT their fault! The SwAFHF would be put to incredibly high & logistical expense to jump through the 'hoops of fire' required by the CAA. I agree entirely with their choice not to do this & to just NOT fly displays in the UK! Saw them in Zeltweg, Jersey & I believe they attended Ireland too last year, where rational thinking still prevails.
In cunning 'Plan B' above I cynically suggest that Scampton could fund the CAA require process, or not?
No criticism of the accomplished SwAFHF whatsoever intended.

TornadoVictor

Post by TornadoVictor » Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:39 pm

Obviously Austria, Eire & Jersey don't know what they are doing! However, unlike the public sector here, they are probably not trying to eliminate airshows altogether.

I saw the SwAFHF at the Malmen show last year & they were fantastic. Puts the RAF to shame regarding how many vintage jets they have flying for displays

Regards

bizfreeq

Post by bizfreeq » Mon Aug 28, 2017 2:08 pm

Puts the RAF to shame regarding how many vintage jets they have flying for displays
Does make me laugh when I read stuff like this! Who exactly do you expect will pay for this RAF fleet of vintage jets, both the purchase and the upkeep? Although the SwAFHF are supported by the Air Force, a large proportion of the funds that keep them going are from donation, appearance fees and mostly sponsorship.
The guys at Coningsby, whom I would guess, are the ones you expect to operate this fleet, struggle with the funds to keep the aircraft they already have, let alone another more expensive fleet.
So with that said, why should the RAF be ashamed exactly?
Cheers
Mark

If our airforces are never used, they have achieved their finest goal.
— General Nathan F. Twining

TornadoVictor

Post by TornadoVictor » Mon Aug 28, 2017 2:29 pm

Apologies - I will correct what I said

It puts the UK to shame that we cannot find a way to do what the Swedes are capable of - does that suit you better?

Regards

Return to “Scampton”