Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Scampton Air Show

Posts relating to information and discussion on the Scampton Airshow
baz1

Re: Scampton Air Show

Post by baz1 » Sun Sep 03, 2017 8:26 am

[quote="LecLightning56"]I have purchased a ticket for the airshow and indeed look forward to enjoying the event. I have no intention to whinge but I would just like to make an observation about the 'padding out' of the attendees with civilian light aircraft (don't get me wrong I love the chippie and have taken control of one). I attended the 80th anniversary of the Leconfield military base in East Yorkshire recently (an army base now for vehicle training but formally an RAF base with Lightnings in its latter days), and the only aircraft in attendance were indeed a selection of six civilian light aircraft. Whereas the barn-storming display given was very original and entertaining, the point being not one military aircraft displayed, not even anything from the Army Air Corps (I had hoped for an Apache). So, it may be little coincidence that Scampton is of a similar frame of mind for public entertainment in the display arena that a large contingent of interesting but slightly off theme aircraft have made the list and not a similar offering of modern (and maybe also vintage) military aircraft. That said, there is still three weeks to go and I shall give the organisers the benefit of the doubt in proving that they can pull in a good few more of direct interest to military enthusiasts. By the way, I did notice the Northrop Grumman logo emblazoned on the Scampton Air Show website. Too much to ask for a B-2 flypast (not the Blackburn B2, of course!)? Despite this American advertising, I also note that there is not one USAF participant, despite its 70th anniversary year, or do organisers perceive that the RIAT celebration was enough (not everyone managed to attend RIAT)?[/quote

not so sure of B2 Flypast but maybe B1 / B52
Comfortably Numb

Gary
Administrator

Post by Gary » Sun Sep 03, 2017 10:52 pm

The Canadian's have cancelled at Sanicole, possible bad news for Scampton?
Posh are going to Wembley (albeit for a tin cup)

plmc135

Post by plmc135 » Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:15 am

They were also due to appear at the Lens Airshow next Sunday, but the show has been cancelled.

C24

Post by C24 » Mon Sep 04, 2017 11:57 am

This weekend will be a good opportunity for children and their parents to view an airshow in Lincolnshire.

Old aircraft, some civvies of service life and an aerobatic team. Access will easier for people north of Watford.

Every big airshow starts with a small turnout. It never was due to be an IAT.

Best wishes for good weather for people to enjoy themselves, perhaps at their first airshow.

(By the way, there is an " e " in whingeing :roll: )
C24.
493d/48th - Grim Reapers Supporter.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/charlie-two-four/ FuzzyFastjetFotos, incorporating "HazyHelos"
There's no "go-round" in a glider.

baz1

Post by baz1 » Mon Sep 04, 2017 12:17 pm

just checked the weather not looking that good' typical hope it gets better for people that get to go.
Comfortably Numb

plmc135

Post by plmc135 » Mon Sep 04, 2017 12:30 pm

C24 wrote:This weekend will be a good opportunity for children and their parents to view an airshow in Lincolnshire.

Old aircraft, some civvies of service life and an aerobatic team. Access will easier for people north of Watford.

Best wishes for good weather for people to enjoy themselves, perhaps at their first airshow.

A quick check in a dictionary would reveal that either spelling is correct :Oops:

Rockstar

Post by Rockstar » Mon Sep 04, 2017 1:16 pm

Update on the BBMF for Scampton this weekend
Further to last week's update from the MOD (see below) regarding the Battle of Britain Memorial Flight Merlin engines, we have been in touch with the BBMF to enquire as to progress and at this stage the Flight are hoping to send at least one Spitfire and one Hurricane to the Scampton Airshow next weekend (9-10 September).

Whilst this is not the full contingent of aircraft that were originally hoping to display, we are nonetheless very pleased that we will be seeing both key fighter types in the sky at RAF Scampton.

We fully support the tough decision that the BBMF had to make in pausing operations, as both our organisations hold safety at the forefront of what we do. We would like to thank the BBMF for its continued hard work and we look forward to welcoming them to the first Scampton Airshow in a week's time. We will keep you updated if there is any further good news in the coming days.

MOD Update - 30/09/2017: "Our investigation has confirmed an issue with a pinion gear in a Merlin engine. With the precise cause of the problem known, each pinion gear is now being inspected to confirm it meets our exacting standards, with the BBMF and industry putting all of our efforts into getting these beautiful aircraft safely back in the air as soon as possible."

C24

Post by C24 » Mon Sep 04, 2017 5:08 pm

There are many dictionaries of the English language.

I repeat,

" By the way, there is an " e " in whingeing. ".
There is not an " e " in whinging. Another example of international English. Who/which is correct? Hugh nose. :roll:

Enjoy the airshow

I found this site, http://searchrender.com/reviews/whingeing.com.
C24.
493d/48th - Grim Reapers Supporter.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/charlie-two-four/ FuzzyFastjetFotos, incorporating "HazyHelos"
There's no "go-round" in a glider.

Phoon

Post by Phoon » Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:29 am

C24 wrote:This weekend will be a good opportunity for children and their parents to view an airshow in Lincolnshire.

Only thing comparable to an 'IAT' is the admission cost.......

reaper493

Post by reaper493 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 1:08 pm

2Excel 727 added to flying.

Rory76

Post by Rory76 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:17 pm

Well chuffed with that!

martmpf

Post by martmpf » Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:56 pm

Wow, definately not to be missed then! ;)

LecLightning56

Post by LecLightning56 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 3:07 pm

Putting the sarcasm to one side, we could still do with some more genuine modern mil support.

reaper493

Post by reaper493 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 3:28 pm

LecLightning56 wrote:Putting the sarcasm to one side, we could still do with some more genuine modern mil support.
Both the Apache and Chinook displays have finished for the year, would've been nice if they could make it.

macref

Post by macref » Wed Sep 06, 2017 5:53 pm

Anyone got any gossip for when stuff is likely to arrive? I'm away for Sat/Sun so park and view is the best I can do.

baz1

Post by baz1 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:01 pm

arrivals should be Thurs/ Fri waterproofs and brolly may be needed over the Wknd
Comfortably Numb

reaper493

Post by reaper493 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:45 pm

I'm guessing very little to arrive Thursday, maybe a few practices with the majority (especially RAF) arriving Friday.

Purely guess work, so who really knows!!

Mike

Usernamegoeshere

Post by Usernamegoeshere » Thu Sep 07, 2017 4:01 pm

other than the BBc what other websites provide weather info thatll show whats likely to hapen in a few days time ?

show is 11am to 4pm http://scamptonairshow.com/airshow/visi ... /timetable

i found this site but im after more please http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weat ... 2017-09-09

Dave

mickfgr2

Post by mickfgr2 » Thu Sep 07, 2017 4:49 pm

Try xc weather,it's usually pretty good and covers nearly all airfields civil and military

bizfreeq

Post by bizfreeq » Thu Sep 07, 2017 4:49 pm

i found this site but im after more pleasehttp://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weat ... 2017-09-09 
Considering the organisation behind that website is the source for the UK forecasts on the other weather providers how much more can you need or expect to find out?
Cheers
Mark

If our airforces are never used, they have achieved their finest goal.
— General Nathan F. Twining

Return to “Scampton”