Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

RAF No 230 Sqn patch question

Do you collect patches or challenge coins, bought an interesting t-shirt from a base, some rare airshow programmes or even parts from military aircraft? This is the forum section for you!
awacsfan

RAF No 230 Sqn patch question

Post by awacsfan » Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:53 pm

I have a question for the experts here on the board... (finally managed to set up a flickr account).

I have picked up the left RAF No. 230 Sqn patch very recently and this differs from the right one which I had for a number of years already. Obviously the left one is older, it's smaller and woven instead of embroidered. I tend to assume that the left one is a "good" one, just olderand that the right one is a more modern day make one.

Now, can anybody confirm or deny this and possibly tell me the time frame in which the left one has been in use by the squadron and since when the right one is in use?
In case either one is a "fake" or "remake" I'd like to hear that as well...

ImageRAF 230 Sqn_front by Andy H, auf Flickr
ImageRAF 230 Sqn_back by Andy H, auf Flickr

Thank you very much for your help and happy collecting to all of you!

Andy

rafpatchman

Re: RAF No 230 Sqn patch question

Post by rafpatchman » Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:53 pm

Hi Andy

I have the badge on the right side which I believe came from Bill Brookes in the 80's. Although I can't remember seeing the version on the left before, my gut feeling is that it is genuine. I have a woven 230 Sqn - Tiger Meet, Gutersloh 1982 patch, so it would seem reasonable that they also made the other version you have as well.

Chris

Edit - Looking more closely at your version on the right side, it is a much sharper and better defined than my Bill Brookes version (sorry I am unable to post the image here for you). I can only suggest that there were many different versions made over the years, including some excellent recent versions by Squadron Prints. It shows just how difficult it is to accurately date specific examples or to know which are genuine...

awacsfan

Post by awacsfan » Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:38 pm

Hi Chris,

Thank you so very much for your kind reply which I appreciate very much.
I agree with your gut feeling on the left patch... A striking resemblance to the 1982 NTM patch, looks like both were made by the same manufacturer back then.

Sure as with many patches, many were made by different manufacturer over the years. I was just curious if either one may have been a fake. I am happy that both are keepers for my NTM collection.

Thank you very much for your fast help!

Andy

PS: just out of curiousity... You don't happen to have a contact adress for 230 Sqn by any chance? I've been trying to contact them by mail for two years in a row but without success.

rafpatchman

Post by rafpatchman » Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:21 pm

Hi Andy

I agree, a couple of keepers there.

As for 230 Sqn, I assume you have been writing to them at RAF Benson, so not sure what else you can do - sorry. I know they are always busy, but I am a little surprised if no one has replied to you... BRgds.

Chris

awacsfan

Post by awacsfan » Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:24 pm

Thanks again Chris for your kind reply.
I've found a contact adress on the new RAF Website and will try again.
Happy collecting,
Andy

Return to “Military Aviation Memorabilia”