Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

56th Rescue Patches

Do you collect patches or challenge coins, bought an interesting t-shirt from a base, some rare airshow programmes or even parts from military aircraft? This is the forum section for you!
TankBuster

56th Rescue Patches

Post by TankBuster » Sun Sep 17, 2017 7:53 pm

Just noticed a few 56th RQS patches pop up on ebay (not mine). Some of which are rare as hen's teeth :O , so it will certainly be very interesting to see what these fetch.

The last time this particular one turned up on ebay it went for over £80 :O :O :O .
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/56th-Rescue-p ... Sw8OJZvnSP

TankBuster
And there's plenty more where that came from!

Gary
Administrator

Re: 56th Rescue Patches

Post by Gary » Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:39 pm

As you said some rare patches there, someone going to have a health PayPal balance next week :lol: Haven't seen many 57th RQS patches so far for sale, so expect them to make some money too

Does annoy me when I see that Jolly 22 patch on Ebay, don't think people should make a profit on that one.
Posh are going to Wembley (albeit for a tin cup)

TankBuster

Post by TankBuster » Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:46 pm

Agreed on the Jolly 22 patch, if its going to be sold at least pop the proceeds into a USAF Ben fund if there is one? But, maybe the seller sees it as just another patch to sell?

TankBuster.

Herkdriver

Post by Herkdriver » Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:11 pm

Yes those are some nice patches there and a few I wouldn't mind getting. But I can't help but comment as well that I by posting them here on this forum you will have ensured a bidding war and higher prices. I know my comment will highlight it again but this debate has come up before on the FB groups as well. Any mention of ebay listings and that is the result so I recommended in the FB groups not to allow any ebay posts. Now if you were the seller then its great for you but not for the rest of the collectors. I may eat these words someday if I begin to sell but just my two cents here and now.

TankBuster

Post by TankBuster » Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:52 pm

Yep, that's a fair point about highlighting auctions on ebay, but to be honest I don't think in this case it will start a bidding war thanks to this thread.

The 56th RQS patches have always been popular and draw in a lot of bids because many of the patches are produced in very small quantities, making them ultra rare.
That little red CSAR patch which I linked to above is one such patch, as is the green version of the same patch.

I'll be watching these auctions with interest, but I sadly wont be bidding on them, I think my wife would spit fire if I did that! :( :( :( .

TankBuster

Herkdriver

Post by Herkdriver » Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:31 pm

Yes I'm aware of the quantities made and the attraction of rescue and Lakenheath patches as I collect them myself. And you would be surprised at how easily the bidding wars begin and it's usually when someone highlights an eBay listing on a forum or Facebook. The fun part of the hobby used to be the hunt and to ensure we all don't bankrupt ourselves we all want a patch for as low a price as we can get. My point is I believe people should find these patches on their own without the forum heads up. I know you are just responding about how incredible the prices wil be for these patches but like I said this will add to said prices.

rolypoly33

Post by rolypoly33 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 4:11 pm

Hi all
I don't think that any post,s made her make a lot of difference a lot of people will have rescue squadron stuff saved on there notification settings.i gave up on the logic on eBay a long time ago.wish I kept my lakenheath patches I do believe they will go for mega bucks real hard to find patches,lucky seller I say wish it was me

Richard

TankBuster

Post by TankBuster » Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:00 pm

ebay is a total nightmare for bidding wars and when I've watched the auctions for some of the rare USAF patches on ebay they will sit almost dormant for 5 days or so and then the bidding suddenly goes crazy in the last 10 seconds of the auction :O.

I bet there are dozens of patch collectors out there who have lost out on a patch in the dying seconds having their bid stamped on right under their noses! Either these are automated bids, or bidders are sitting there poised to fire in their bid in the dying seconds with all their fingers and toes crossed for success?

One of the biggest problems with ebay is that it is currently being flooded with a lot of reproduction / fake patches, some sellers even list them as real deal genuine squadron items when they really aren't at all. It is getting really difficult to filter out all the carp, but I have no doubt at all that the 56th patches listed are 100% the real deal as I've seen some of them before.

There are a few trusted patch sellers on ebay and I often find that if you are on the look out for any particular patches it often pays to send these sellers a message to see if they have that patch in their collection, or can even source it for you. I have had a lot of success doing that in the past (although yes it is trading outside of ebay rules) it doesn't hurt to ask, and from there on wards I have gained myself another collector to trade/sell with outside of ebay and so have they.

There are a lot of patch collectors here on FC, and putting a post in the for sale / wanted thread can often turn up the goods :thumb:. Personally I have tried to stay away from buying on ebay, but do purchase occasionally if I see something that I want and can't get any where else.
Best way to ensure you are getting the real deal patches for a good price is to stick to the Mildenhall patch meets, forums, or through tried and trusted other collectors.

As discussed on another thread recently, patch collecting nowadays isn't as enjoyable or as affordable as it used to be. I think that is down to a combination of the fakes being produced / the high prices being asked / multiple versions of same patches being produced / and a new interest from collectors hunting out those sought after patches from bases and units which were closed years ago.

TankBuster

Tronk 11

Post by Tronk 11 » Sun Sep 24, 2017 8:06 pm

Surprisingly they went for high money again. My 56th collection must be worth a fortune. :thumbs:

Dan214sqn

Post by Dan214sqn » Sun Sep 24, 2017 8:51 pm

get them insured! :cool:

TankBuster

Post by TankBuster » Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:08 pm

Yep, some good prices fetched by those patches, again with winning bids going in during the final seconds!
I did however expect some of them to go for a lot more than what they did, so it's fair to say that some buyers certainly got a bargain there on some very rare patches :thumb:.

TankBuster

Return to “Military Aviation Memorabilia”