Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

USAF Patch Websites

Do you collect patches or challenge coins, bought an interesting t-shirt from a base, some rare airshow programmes or even parts from military aircraft? This is the forum section for you!
Tiger 1

USAF Patch Websites

Post by Tiger 1 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:15 pm

Hi everyone

I'm hoping some of you guys who collect USAF patches can point me in the right direction as to a good patch site that I can use to get a good idea of the value of my collection.

My collection is 250 patches strong, all High Vis... all authentic, all Wing patches ( Shield Shaped)... alot of old stuff as I started collecting from 1982 with my first patch being a 183rd TFW patch from the F4s of the Illinois ANG that visited Finningley and there is around 30 velcro patches that have been aquired from pilots and aircrew over the last 35 years.

I do have a few other patches that are not Wing patches... two of which are a 493rd TFS patch thats velcro, aquired from an F111 pilot 31 years ago and the other is a NASA FRC USAF F-12 TEST FORCE NASA patch fully original.

I have been thinking about selling them on for a while now but the need to generate some funds as come about due to having to have a new gas boiler. :'(

Because my collection as quite a lot of old patches and flown patches in it I would like to get a good idea of it's value before thinking of selling them on, so if any of you guys can point me to a good web site I would very much appreciate it. :thumb:

MTIA

T1

TankBuster

Re: USAF Patch Websites

Post by TankBuster » Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:06 pm

This is one of the very few, if not the only patch website that illustrates prices of genuine original USAF patches. However, they are all priced quite high for what they are and many of the same patches on this site have sold for much less on ebay over the years... http://airforcecollectables.com/main.sc

The seller is very good and has a good knowledge of the patches and their histories, and when buying from this website you know that what you are getting is going to be 100% the real deal and not a fake/reproduction patch, so it is a very good place to look for reference.

When pricing up patches it really all depends on what people want to pay on the day. I've seen the same patches listed on ebay at various times, one will sell for say £10 and then the other will sell for £50 and they would both be 100% identical originals. You just never know! Yes, the rarer patches can fetch higher prices, but again it really depends what a buyer wants to pay on the day.

If you go down the ebay route to sell, the best thing to do is offer worldwide postage and be as accurate as you can with descriptions and photo's to ensure that you capture a wider audience, also take into account the ebay seller fees, as these can be a real crippler when the fees build up after selling multiple items£££££ :( .

Hope this helps,
TakBuster
And there's plenty more where that came from!

Tiger 1

Post by Tiger 1 » Fri Sep 15, 2017 5:12 pm

Good evening TankBuster

Thank you very much indeed for your reply and the link... I will take a look. I don't do ebay so will not need to worry about... but thank you again for the info and tips.

I would like to sell the collection as one lot but fear this may not be the best way to get the best return

Thank you again for your help, I very much appreciate you taking the time and for your advice.

Best rgds

T1

rolypoly33

Post by rolypoly33 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:13 pm

Hi
Try looking up troutdale aerodrome web site Doug is one of the good ones.it may help you with values,also aeroemblem
Hope they may be of help
Richard

Tiger 1

Post by Tiger 1 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:55 pm

Thanks rolypoly33

Much appreciated.

T1

Tronk 11

Post by Tronk 11 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:28 pm

Selling to a dealer won't get the prices your after. Id suspect youd get £2-3 for each patch so would be lucky to get £750 for the lot. Farbetter selling individual patches BUT this comes with the inconvenience of being left with lots of patches, and trying to advertise them in the first place.
Its not easy selling stuff, ive got part of my collection left and its either VERY expensive patches left or bog standard ones. I started selling it 5 years ago.
You may want to try Mildenhalls patch meet in a few weeks time. You may shift a bit to pay for the boiler.
Also remeber one cruel thing about collecting. You may value your collection but sadly others may not. Don't be disappointed with some patches selling for less than you paid for them. Remember its lovely to have cound and had them, you may make some money, but some won't.
Good luck.
Tony

Tronk 11

Post by Tronk 11 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:33 pm

Also try selling at usafpatch.nl
Youll need to register but you can sell stuff to collectors who know their stuff.
Tony

Tiger 1

Post by Tiger 1 » Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:34 pm

Hi Tronk 11

Thanks for the advice and website... much appreciated.

T1

Herkdriver

Post by Herkdriver » Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:56 pm

Tony said it perfectly. I couldn't have said it better. Don't forget the various facebook patch groups out there as well for selling your patches. And yes you are better off selling them separately. Unless you need the money right away you will lose money selling them as a group.

Todd

Tiger 1

Post by Tiger 1 » Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:11 pm

Many thanks Todd for the help and advise... we have met before by the way.. you may remember at a patch meet at Mildenhall last year, there was a guy selling a Pittsburgh Herk framed picture with patches in it... if you do, then that guy was me.

Best rgds

Tim

TankBuster

Post by TankBuster » Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:44 pm

Not trying to put you off, but just be 100% sure that you want to sell them first!

I sold quite a few of my 81st TFW related patches several years ago to raise a bit of cash for a holiday, and although at the time I was fine to let them go and I got very good prices for them... I did start to really regret parting with them a few months after :( .
I do however remember that it was a lot of hassle selling them individually, what with all the emails going backwards and forwards to buyers, agreeing prices, and then the hassle of packing them up and then the trips to the post office etc.

Luckily I have managed to build up my collection again, although it has taken a lot of time to find the patches I wanted and it has cost me a few quid along the way too, but
I wouldn't part with them again now :) .

TankBuster

Tiger 1

Post by Tiger 1 » Fri Sep 22, 2017 5:58 pm

Hi Tankbuster

Again thank you for your advise and help, it's very much apprciated. I know what you mean regarding selling them only to regret it later, has I have done this with other collections over the years.

But I really am sure about selling my patch collection... they have been in a shoe box for the last few years out of sight, not looked at... It's time now to let them go to someone who will appreciate them and value them in their collection.

I appreciate all the help and advise you and the guys on FC have given me, I can now get a better value of the collection and start to sell it on... individually patch by patch, has I have now decided to do based on the advise given.

Many Many thanks again to all who have helped.

Kind rgds

T1

TankBuster

Post by TankBuster » Sat Sep 23, 2017 9:41 pm

One other contact for patch sales is the guy who runs this website, he really does know his stuff and knows a lot of people within the patch collecting community...
https://usafcollectibles.com/

TankBuster

Tiger 1

Post by Tiger 1 » Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:54 pm

Hi Tankbuster

Thanks again for your help and info and the new link... very much appreciated.

The new website is brilliant and helping me greatly with building a guide to the valuation of my collection.

Many thanks again.

Best rgds

T1

Knife 04

Post by Knife 04 » Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:28 pm

TankBuster wrote:One other contact for patch sales is the guy who runs this website, he really does know his stuff and knows a lot of people within the patch collecting community...
https://usafcollectibles.com/

TankBuster

Can totally vouch for that - top man!

Return to “Military Aviation Memorabilia”