Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Patch question?

Do you collect patches or challenge coins, bought an interesting t-shirt from a base, some rare airshow programmes or even parts from military aircraft? This is the forum section for you!
Tronk 11

Re: Patch question?

Post by Tronk 11 » Sun Jul 23, 2017 12:30 pm

For that price you can get 1950' and 1960's patches that you can identify a lot easier the copies. I know some who won't collect the modern era stuff as they can't get a good quality collection due to fakes and cost.

It's a bit of the opposite now, the squadrons selling them for £20 each or risk buying on eBay and it costing £150+! Maybe my argument/question at the beginning has some flaws :huh:

Patches at that price may put the casual/serious(ish) collector off. I doubt I'll ever collect Lakenheath patches.

Finally to the lucky (depending on your opinion) folks who paid for the patches it's a big gamble paying that as if at a patch meeting at mildenhall they turn up with a wad of them they will go for a quarter of the price, you'll never be able to ask that sort of price again. Even if they don't I don't think you'll get what you paid for it, BUT you've got what other people don't have now, so fair play for forking out for it.

Tony

rolypoly33

Post by rolypoly33 » Sun Jul 23, 2017 12:34 pm

Wow lakenheath patches sure go for some big money, unfortunately some people will pay whatever too get a patch they want,the prices seem too soar at the end of auction e sniper has a lot to do with it imho.
Any comments welcome
Richard

TankBuster

Post by TankBuster » Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:44 pm

I had my eye on a few 81st TFW related patches on ebay earlier this evening, but alas they all went for more than what I was prepared to pay for them, and surprise suprise the bidding activity suddenly got very active in the dying seconds of each auction with the bids jumping over each other for the win :( .

I nearly spat my tea out when I saw the ending price of this patch! The last one of these which came up on ebay sold for £17, god only knows what possessed someone to pay over £140 for one tonight? I find it strange that sellers in the Netherlands seem to always achieve over the odds prices for their patch sales, I must admit that I do get suspicious of the dutch sellers as it seems almost as if bids are being made deliberately to increase the price, or maybe its just me being suspicious :unsure: .
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ORIGINAL-AIR- ... Swb~9ZbjOe

I set myself a limit & that's it, at the end of the day I can't see the point in bidding stupid amounts of money on a piece of cloth. I do love the patches, but not enough to spend money which in reality is the equivalent to what I'd spend on a weekly food shop!

I find that one of the best ways of obtaining patches for a fair price is to keep in contact with other collectors and traders away from ebay. If other collectors know what you're after then you can have many pairs of eyes looking out for the patches you seek, it's often a good way of turning up the goods :thumb: . However, ebay is always there for us to keep an eye on, but it does have its downfalls :@ .

TankBuster
And there's plenty more where that came from!

iainpeden

Post by iainpeden » Mon Jul 24, 2017 2:09 pm

This discussion has just got me looking through my bag of patches; essentially I have given up collecting due to the explosion in what's available.
There are 3 I have which may interest people on here - all bought off the crews at Mildenhall or Alconbury airshows.

First is a 525th TFTAS Aggressors patch - a red edged yellow background with a bear on it with a tatget pipper imposed - its a bit tatty because it used to be on my "airshow" hat but basically ok. Second is a 1st Tac Recon sqn one from the AR RF-4Cs - black with a stinging wasp on. Lastly 64th FTR WPNS SQ Aggressors (was the the WR f-16 unit?) - sewn onto a denim jacket but never saw the light of day.

Happy to send pictures - if they are worth anything I'll ebay.

Gingercake

Post by Gingercake » Mon Jul 24, 2017 2:59 pm

TankBuster - I know the seller (andre195205) that you posted the link to. He's a genuine guy and really knows his stuff, he's been a patch collector and dealer for many years.
He used to run Aviation Patch Supplies in the Netherlands. I have had lots of patches from him. He always has extremely rare stuff.
I have a Portuguese AF patch that sold recently on ebay for £103. Whether we agree or not with prices, people will pay silly money if they want it.

Regards
James

TankBuster

Post by TankBuster » Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:19 pm

Gingercake wrote:TankBuster - I know the seller (andre195205) that you posted the link to. He's a genuine guy and really knows his stuff, he's been a patch collector and dealer for many years.
He used to run Aviation Patch Supplies in the Netherlands. I have had lots of patches from him. He always has extremely rare stuff.
I have a Portuguese AF patch that sold recently on ebay for £103. Whether we agree or not with prices, people will pay silly money if they want it.

Regards
James
Yep, I agree that people will pay silly money if they want something that bad... I wonder how many regret it afterwards though?
Thanks for the info regarding the dutch seller, I guess that clears that one up for me.

Cheers,
TankBuster

TankBuster

Post by TankBuster » Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:51 pm

Just noticed that 'andre195205' has listed a few more patches on ebay from the former RAF Woodbridge...
However, every one of these patches is from the post Woodbridge era and were first produced for Alconbury, or most likely the Mildenhall eras. I don't ever recall any of these versions being worn by the crews at Woodbridge...
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/m.html?_odkw ... e&_sacat=0

TankBuster

Return to “Military Aviation Memorabilia”