Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

D-Day Commemorations

Post information on other airshows and events here.
peasus911

D-Day Commemorations

Post by peasus911 » Sat Mar 08, 2014 7:58 pm

Are there any aerial Commemorations planned in this country for 6th June. I am aware of the Lee-0n Solent daks on the 3rd and the Duxford D-day show at the end of May but was curious if anything was planned for Friday 6th June. I was at Portsmouth for the 60th Commemorations..... Awesome and very moving.

Malcolm

Re: D-Day Commemorations

Post by Malcolm » Sat Mar 08, 2014 8:20 pm

Yes, but all the VIP's are due to be in Normandy on the 6th, so I would expect any activity here in the UK to be earlier in the week - on the 3rd/4th/5th.
I've been told that most of the important sites in/around Caen will be in virtual lockdown during the cememorations on 6th, and people/veterans without the correct passes will recieve a short, concice "Non" from the Gendarmes. I think I've read that the paras are going to do a drop on DZ-K/N again, so that will be a couple of Herks at least.

benben

Post by benben » Fri Mar 14, 2014 2:38 pm

peasus911 wrote:Are there any aerial Commemorations planned in this country for 6th June. I am aware of the Lee-0n Solent daks on the 3rd and the Duxford D-day show at the end of May but was curious if anything was planned for Friday 6th June. I was at Portsmouth for the 60th Commemorations..... Awesome and very moving.
Well the Red Arrows are displaying in Portsmouth on Thursday 5th June for 'Portsmouth D-Day 70th Anniversary and Commemoration' so not sure if there is a big event planned, I can't find anything about what's happening apart from it being on the Reds' display dates!

paullangford

Post by paullangford » Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:06 pm

This is some of what's happening in France...

http://www.ddaystripes.com/d-day-events.html

rh226

Post by rh226 » Fri May 23, 2014 9:53 pm

Just to add my two penn'orth.

I can confirm that Caen to Isigny will be in total lockdown on the 6th. All along the coast and as far down as the N13 will be prohibited to traffic unless you have the correct pre-granted permission. Even the ferries into Ouistreham will be affected. I'm sailing out to Cherbourg on the 5th so will escape the "fun". However, I was contacted by Greenbank Holidays who provided the following
Eurocamp Independent & Select Sites

Customer Information re: 70th Anniversary D-Day celebrations

Due to the 70th anniversary of D-Day, traffic restrictions will be in force on the 6th June 2014. Customers need to apply for a vehicle sticker to move around in the restricted areas on that day.

The following is an extract from the official website:
The Regulated Traffic Zone (RTZ) for the 70th anniversary of the Normandy Landings will only be in effect on 6 June. It will affect 145 communes, extending from Ouistreham to the La Manche department.
A Regulated Traffic Zone (RTZ) is a zone where road traffic is restricted to local residents and their families, and people working in the area. The aim is to facilitate and ensure the safety of official convoy traffic and the transport of veterans, invited guests and police and emergency services.
Who will it affect?
• Permanent and temporary residents of the RTZ and their families, people with second homes, hotel guests and campsite residents.
How to travel in the RTZ?
To travel in the RTZ on 6 June, it is first necessary to request a vehicle sticker from the town hall whether or not you are a resident of the zone.
In exceptional cases, stickers will be issued by the Calvados prefecture. Only vehicles displaying a sticker issued by the authorities will be allowed to use the roads in the zone.
Access to the RTZ will be controlled by the police throughout the day of 6 June.
Who should you contact?
Primarily, in order to encourage proximity and reactivity, stickers are issued by town halls.
External requests by private individuals and professionals not linked to the commune may be made, with the provision of supporting documents, either:
• by email (pref-70-sticker@calvados.gouv.fr)
• or by post, using a stamped-addressed envelope (Prefecture-Cellule badgeage, rue Daniel Huet, Caen)
When will the stickers be issued?
• In town halls: from 6 May to 4 June
• In the prefecture: from 6 May to 30 May
ROADS CLOSED
The Caen-Bayeux-Carentan route (RN 13)
• Caen to Bayeux direction closed from 6 a.m. to 6 p.m.
• Bayeux to Carentan direction closed from 6 a.m. to 2.30 p.m.
The Caen-Ouistreham route (RD514 – RD 515)
• Caen to Ouistreham direction closed from 6 a.m. to 6 p.m.
• Ouistreham to Caen direction closed from 9.30 a.m. to 6 p.m. —> detour route, D60 and D79
The northern bypass (boulevard périphérique Nord)
from the porte de Bretagne exit to the porte de Paris exit (in both directions) closed from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.
Other roads will be temporarily closed on the basis of ceremony times and convoy times.
• D9 (Carpiquet-Caen bypass route)
• D7-D79 (Caen-Courseulles route) at the end of the afternoon
• D7 (Caen-Hermanville route) at the start of the morning
• D516 (Bayeux-Arromanches route) morning and afternoon
• D517-D514 (N13-Colleville) morning

For more information customers can log on to :

https://www.gov.uk/government/world-loc ... y-landings
As far as I can ascertain/guess, the VIPs will fly into Caen - Carpiquet or Deauville - Normande.

The C-47 activities can be best seen here http://www.dc-ry.fi/lennot/Dakotas_Over ... letter.pdf.

The parachute drop over La Fiere marshes (4km W of Ste Mere Eglise) on Sunday 8th should be fairly spectacular. Two years ago, they had 1 x French Transall, 1 x WG Transall and 6 x USAF C-130 ( 3 x AFRC and 3 x "RS") for three separate "in line astern" passes. They fly from Cherbourg - Maupertus.

Hope that this is of interest.
Cheers, Bob

Return to “Other Airshows & Events”