Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

The Official Middle Wallop & Auster 80th Anniversary Fly-In

Post information on other airshows and events here.
Threshold.aero

The Official Middle Wallop & Auster 80th Anniversary Fly-In

Post by Threshold.aero » Thu Nov 02, 2017 5:30 pm

The Official Auster 80th Anniversary Fly-In
6, 7, and 8 April 2018
Middle Wallop and Upavon

In association with the Museum of Army Flying and the Army Air Corps, Threshold.aero is returning to Middle Wallop to celebrate another former AAC type; the venerable Taylorcraft Auster. Bigger and better than before, the event will span the weekend of 7-8 April 2018.

2018 marks the 80th anniversary of Taylorcraft Aeroplanes (England) Ltd, the builders of the iconic Auster air observation post (AOP) aircraft. A derivative of the Taylor (now Piper) Cub, more than 1,600 Austers were produced during WWII and the type’s success continued post-war with production of the AOP.9 ceasing in 1961.

The Auster is an important aircraft in the history of the Army Air Corps, it being the first aircraft operated by the force when established in 1957 when 651 Sqn and its Auster AOP.6s transferred from the RAF at Aldergrove, Northern Ireland. It remains one of only six fixed-wing aircraft types to have served with the AAC in its sixty-year history.

The type has had an illustrious career in military hands and to this day enjoys success as a very popular general aviation type, with 130 Auster aircraft still airworthy in the United Kingdom. Austers of various marks served with 24 air arms worldwide, as far afield as Australia and New Zealand and in the harshest environments; from the jungles of Burma to taking part in the Commonwealth Trans-Antarctic Expedition of 1956/57.

We’ll be keeping the relaxed, informal atmosphere that helped make The Gazelle 50th Anniversary Commemorative Fly-In such a success; again, a period without aircraft movements will be scheduled, allowing for you to get a closer look at the aircraft in attendance and maybe even have a chin-wag with a pilot or two. A number of aviation, craft and charity stands and stalls will also be present.

Invites will soon be going out to Auster owners across Europe and, alongside Austers, we’ll also be welcoming other Air Observation Post aircraft to Middle Wallop, so expect Cubs, Super Cubs, Bird Dogs and a few other surprises!

The Friday evening will also see a night photoshoot with number of Austers and associated AOP types, more news on that soon!

The Auster 80th Anniversary Fly-in will be open to the public from 09.00 with free parking available in the field to the west of the A343, directly opposite the Museum of Army Flying.

More information will be available on the event website as soon as it's launched...
Last edited by Threshold.aero on Mon Dec 25, 2017 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Threshold.aero

Re: The Official Auster 80th Anniversary Fly-In

Post by Threshold.aero » Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:50 pm

Tickets will go on sale through the event website - www.auster80.co.uk - at 10am on Sunday 12 November.

Threshold.aero

Post by Threshold.aero » Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:08 am

Tickets are now on sale!

Confirmed so far...

Auster 80th anniversary
G-AGVG Auster J/1 Autocrat
G-AHAM Auster J/1 Autocrat
G-AHHT Auster J/1N Alpha
G-AXUJ Auster J/1 Autocrat
G-BLPG Auster J/1N Alpha (Royal Canadian Air Force 16693)
G-BNGE Auster AOP.6 (Royal Air Force TW536)
G-BURR Auster AOP.9 (Royal Air Force WZ706)
G-CEHR Auster AOP.9 (Army Air Corps XP241)

Middle Wallop 80th anniversary
2-ALOU Sud/Aerospatiale Alouette (Army Air Corps XR379)

sherriff

Post by sherriff » Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:54 am

Assume ticket only for this event ? Cheers.

POL

Post by POL » Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:14 pm

Yep, ticket required for entry to the event and the museum. Without a ticket you'll get no further than the museum car park - and you won't be able to see anything from there!

sherriff

Post by sherriff » Sun Nov 12, 2017 1:25 pm

Rgr. Thanks.
Four of us will go. We cut our teeth on Austers at Sywell in the 60's. rgds...S.

Dan D'Air

Post by Dan D'Air » Sun Nov 12, 2017 3:11 pm

Looks like an interesting fly in.
My first ever flight was in an Auster, at Skegness in 1964. There was an airfield near to Butlins and I pestered my dad until he relented and paid for my pleasure flight. And the seed was sown!
Dan
"Shakin the tree boss, shakin the tree"

POL

Post by POL » Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:09 pm

Car parking pass valid for both days. You'll still need a weekend ticket for entry to the event on both days, obviously. :thumb:

timb

Post by timb » Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:55 pm

I, like Dan had my very first flight in an Auster, it was an Auster of Exeter Aero Club. I went up with my mother and father at the end of the Exeter Air Display on 23/6/1962, it was piloted by our neighbour Gordon Lee who had been doing pleasure frights in it during the day. He was a Mosquitoe pilot with 3 CAACU. If anyone has any idea of the Austers [civvy I know]that were with the Aero Club at that time I would be interested to know, I believe there were 2. Already looking forward to April, thoroughly enjoyed the Gazelle "do".

Return to “Other Airshows & Events”