Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Dartmouth Air Display

Post information on other airshows and events here.
Tally-ho

Dartmouth Air Display

Post by Tally-ho » Sat Aug 26, 2017 2:35 pm

So there is a whole hullabaloo because boat owners refused to vacate their boats for a Typhoon display at the Dartmouth Royal Regatta. :lol:

"Dartmouth air display axed in boaters safety fear"
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-devon-41060141
http://www.dartmouthregatta.co.uk/air-displays.html

In the first instance, is this a Royal Regatta or is it a quasi / semi / half 'n half air show - is it a boat show or an air show? Do the kind officials of Dartmouth want a gathering of boats for their Regatta or do they want another over-subscribed excuse for some fly-by of the same planes seen at dozens of air events all over the country. I think I know what they want, they want to have their cake and eat it!
To expect boat owners, the very people that make or break a regatta, the very people you wanted to visit your event, to vacate their boats so that a Typhoon can fly around the sky is one ask too far.

Vacate your boat at 6pm, just when you are relaxing with your chosen tipple, on your boat, at the Dartmouth Royal Regatta, so that a very often seen Typhoon can fly around the Dartmouth sky?! :S :roll: :lol: :grr:

Nighthawke

Re: Dartmouth Air Display

Post by Nighthawke » Sat Aug 26, 2017 3:15 pm

Then the organisers should not have arranged for the aircraft participation.

Richard B

Post by Richard B » Sat Aug 26, 2017 3:56 pm

The Regatta has been going on for years, with some good displays in the past.
New rules and regulations on air displays I would guess is the real problem.

Alfie

Post by Alfie » Sat Aug 26, 2017 4:15 pm

In response to Tally-ho's, surely the small air display is put on as entertainment as part and parcel of the regatta. Not everybody attending Dartmouth would actually go and pay to see an airshow and perhaps on seeing a free one it may encourage them to go in the future. The only other point if there was an exclusion zone, surely that is what it means exclusion, not for some smart alec to think that doesn't include him spoiling everybody else's enjoyment, a rather selfish attitude. I believe the Reds also had trouble at Sidmouth on the same evening, having to display further out to sea because of yet another selfish sailor in a exclusion zone and not leaving when asked.

peasus911

Post by peasus911 » Sat Aug 26, 2017 4:32 pm

Maybe the boat owners in question had a little too much "Tipple" and left their boats in the wrong place.... :whistle:

bizfreeq

Post by bizfreeq » Sat Aug 26, 2017 5:03 pm

Typhoon left Bournemouth a short time ago inbound Dartmouth so the team at least are hopeful of displaying today!
Cheers
Mark

If our airforces are never used, they have achieved their finest goal.
— General Nathan F. Twining

TornadoVictor

Post by TornadoVictor » Sat Aug 26, 2017 7:21 pm

On TV & Radio in the last couple of days I heard the organisers of the Little Gransden Show saying this year's may be the last.

I believe that we will be down to RIAT & about 3 other shows a couple of years from now & probably 2 of them will be over the sea.

Supra

Post by Supra » Sat Aug 26, 2017 11:15 pm

"a couple of years" you say!
Personally I think that's optimistic. I was at Dunsfold yesterday & it wasn't exactly 'rammed'! There are better venues to see cars, motorbikes, military vehicles, etc & there are 'free' air-show venues (Eastbourne last weekend + Bournemouth next w/e) that serve-up the exact same menu show after show. Surely I can't be the only person to notice that the 'British Standard Airshow' comprises the exact same display aircraft week after week, with perhaps one special/unique item? The only real variation these days is the location & weather :roll:

peasus911

Post by peasus911 » Sun Aug 27, 2017 6:45 pm

Dunsfold was very busy today. As you say the weather obviously has a lot to do with it. I thought the show was good value for money as well. :thumb:

Return to “Other Airshows & Events”