Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Shuttleworth 8th May Advice Needed

Post information on other airshows and events here.
mark.alan.barnes

Shuttleworth 8th May Advice Needed

Post by mark.alan.barnes » Sat May 07, 2016 2:32 pm

A sell out. Fortunately for me I managed to get a ticket 30 mins before that announcement.

Any tips or hints or anything I need to know about/not miss as this is my first visit?

jem60

Re: Shuttleworth 8th May Advice Needed

Post by jem60 » Sat May 07, 2016 5:14 pm

Mark. No advice, except to enjoy what should be a great day. If this is your first visit, I suspect it will not be your last!.

mark.alan.barnes

Post by mark.alan.barnes » Sat May 07, 2016 5:33 pm

Thanks John, I'm sure I will.

A mere 59 miles from my house so no getting up at 'silly' o'clock. Hopefully seeing the Red's do a full display was the driving force behind my buying a ticket then three hours after that I had high winds and thunder storms here in Rugby :unsure: I think I saw them seven or eight times last year and it was only at Southport in September when I saw them do the full one having seen the rolling and flat variants which were very good at Weston, RIAT, Cosford etc.

How was the cruise, by the way?

jem60

Post by jem60 » Sat May 07, 2016 8:52 pm

Very very hot. Singapore too clinical for me, Thailand awesome, but if I never see another buddha again it will be too soon!!!. Regards, John. Looking forward to Duxford in three weeks.

mark.alan.barnes

Post by mark.alan.barnes » Sat May 07, 2016 8:58 pm

My lads want to do Duxford. Too good a line up to miss, weather permitting.

jeallen01

Post by jeallen01 » Sat May 07, 2016 9:07 pm

mark.alan.barnes wrote:A sell out. Fortunately for me I managed to get a ticket 30 mins before that announcement.
?
Lucky you, I was a couple of hours too late :'(

From what I am seeing from the other show websites, I/you all will have to buy advance tickets to virtually any decent big airshow in S.E England this Summer or you won't get in !

I'll be doing that over the next few days weeks.

mark.alan.barnes

Post by mark.alan.barnes » Sat May 07, 2016 9:21 pm

I think you may very well be right jeallen01.

I think I'd best get my Cosford ticket Monday.

I already have a RIAT ticket for the Saturday.

jeallen01

Post by jeallen01 » Sat May 07, 2016 9:59 pm

mark.alan.barnes wrote:I think you may very well be right jeallen01.

I think I'd best get my Cosford ticket Monday.

I already have a RIAT ticket for the Saturday.
Ditto for RIAT on Saturday (see you there?) but unfortunately I don't think I will make Cosford much as I like to :-() for family (wife & 2xcats all not very well) .

mark.alan.barnes

Post by mark.alan.barnes » Sat May 07, 2016 10:17 pm

I might be pushing things with Cosford as I would like to do Weston on the Saturday too.

Wishing your Wife and cats health improves.

mark.alan.barnes

Post by mark.alan.barnes » Mon May 09, 2016 10:06 pm

I thought that I would give a bit of a feedback incase anyone else is thinking of attending.

It would seem that, post Shoreham, things are, how can I put it, feeling somewhat removed.

There was an obviously new fence around 30m from the original and the aircraft displayed at around 500ft at a distance from the crowd of around 300m.

Peter Teichman's opening P40 display was stunningly good but just seemed that little bit too far away. Faultlessly flown but just seems that you are not quite 'there,' if you can get my drift.

This was particularly evidenced by the incredible Storch. Hovering, almost, but just not close enough to engage with.

To be fair, the pilots were contending with a 'towards crowd' gusty wind between 8-18knts which also meant quite a few cancellations.

Oh well, clear skies, at least the Reds will put on a Full Display. Er.... Red 10 then says that conditions WERE perfect for a full display then the BUT.... But, due to proximity of Luton Airport, they only have 3,000ft of usable airspace SO it would be the Rolling Display. It is very good though until a Gazelle drifted into controlled airspace forcing a halt.

Minor grip was being parked eight cars away from the furthest away from the hangars etc. Nice place. Loved the R100 hangars on the way in that I didn't realise that I was going to drive past (another bonus) but the signage was non existent to the event. Weather was fantastic and the car park emptied really quickly (probably aided by a significant number of people leaving after the RAFAT display an hour and a half 'in!'

I shall do my usual other shows and see whether the magic has been taken from the airshow scene before making a decision whether I will return.

Should add that the PO2 was my favourite display. Loved the sound of it!

Return to “Other Airshows & Events”