Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Sunderland Airshow 24-25th July

Post information on other airshows and events here.
pilot_ngb

Re: Sunderland Airshow 24-25th July

Post by pilot_ngb » Sun Jul 25, 2010 7:33 pm

Newcastle_Paul - do you have long hair? Might have spotted you. Didn't see the FC badge though!

energy51

Post by energy51 » Sun Jul 25, 2010 7:51 pm

well hopefully we all will meet tomorrow i will be the one with the buggy lol see you tomorrow

Newcastle_Paul

Post by Newcastle_Paul » Sun Jul 25, 2010 8:17 pm

pilot_ngb wrote:Newcastle_Paul - do you have long hair? Might have spotted you. Didn't see the FC badge though!
No long hair however I did have a small child, a buggy and a picnic blanket covered in toys.

Unfortunately I've got to go on a course tomorrow so won't be able to make it. Hope you all enjoy it.
I have many toys. Amongst them are a camera and a scanner.

... now with added grip!!!

Psi

Post by Psi » Sun Jul 25, 2010 10:34 pm

The Bossman wrote:Just got in from the Mackum's (Sunday) airshow, not a bad day out but the same old problem the aircraft performing 1-2 miles out to sea. Even a 500mm lens was a struggle today. They just disappeared in to the haze, although the best view must of been from the decks of HMS Westminster lying off a mile out.
It was a much better airshow in years gone by before all this "risk assessment" attitude. The B52 was that far out it could of been a glider for all the noise that could be heard from it, one slow pass from the south, then half way up the crowd line it was ordered to right turn out to sea and that was that. I'm sticking with the likes of Elvington in the future, at least you can see the ruddy things. :huh:
Depends where you were standing. If you were near the lighthouse you would have got an F-16 3/4 filling your frame (400mm). Saturday was the better day, however the Reds were better than I have seen them in a long while. Don't forget it is free and for what you get you can't complain really. True the flightline was moved back but it was closer in on Saturday.

Unfortunately you won't see Elvington again as the guy who organised it has retired. :(

The Bossman

Post by The Bossman » Mon Jul 26, 2010 4:35 pm

That's a bummer about Elvington, I had only been twice, my kid bro used to work in Leeds and his firm used to get complimentary tickets for the booze tents etc, they were two great airshows though.
I am not ungrateful about Sunderland neither, it is a fact that since the rise over the years in all this risk assessment garbage it has had a detrimental effect on that particular show. I can remember standing on the sands maybe 10-12 years ago, with a Belgian F16 flying directly above my head and me spinning through 360 degrees photographing it. Now all I seem to get is the undersides of all the participants because the topside is 3 miles out to sea.
It is still a superb spectacle for the observer just could be better for the photographers in all those spectators. :thumb:
Regards Peter

UNIDEN-UBC-800XLT, GRECOM PSR 295
ALINCO DJ-X3
FUJI. IS Pro, S5pro, & S3pro, & Nikon D200, NIKON D7000 & D7100

ChrisG

Post by ChrisG » Mon Jul 26, 2010 7:23 pm

The wings and wheels event at Elvington this year has quite a good flying line up, certainly a step in the right direction :)

Return to “Other Airshows & Events”