Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

2016 Abingdon Air & Country Show

Post information on other airshows and events here.
oagey

2016 Abingdon Air & Country Show

Post by oagey » Wed Sep 16, 2015 4:51 pm

Main Event OrganiserNeil Porter has just posted the following update for the 2016 show on the Abingdon Air and Country show Facebook page;-

First details for 2016 (1 May) - Hello, well here we go to get the ball rolling for next years show - the next update will be in early 2016:

Ground:
World War Two Re-enactors
Exhibits including Portsmouth Model Boat Display Team
Classic / Vintage Vehicles / Motorbikes
Crafts Marquee
Live Music in the Music tent
Falconry Demonstration
Various Trade Stalls
2 Flight Simulators

Static Aircraft: (Over 60 types expected to include):
Rockwell OV-10 Bronco
Shorts Skyvan
Yakolev Yak52
Auster AOP6
Westland Gazelles (a mini meet of up to 15 examples hoped for)

Flying Display Aircraft:
Calidus Autogyro (Peter Davies)
Spitfire & P51 Mustang (Ferocious Frankie) pairs display (Alister Kay +1)
Pitts Special (Lauren Richardson)
DeHavilland Sea Vixen (Fly Navy Historic Trust)
The Renegades Parachute Display Team

We are truly honoured to have with us the early confirmed appearance of the worlds only flying DeHavilland Sea Vixen, a 1950s Royal Naval fighter jet which is lovingly cared for at RNAS Yeovilton under the Fly Navy Heritage Trust. We also are excited to have the Spitfire / Mustang pairs display which i can guarantee will be breathtaking and to welcome back Peter Davies in the fantastic Autogyro, Lauren Richardson in the Pitts Special as she never got the opportunity to fly in the 2015 display and The Renegades Parachute Display Team whom Vance Allen is the airfield warden / team leader.The Flying Display will now be back up to a potential 18 displays rather than the 12 i thought firstly
Oxfordshire Aviation Group

2013 Abingdon Charity Air & Country Show 5th May 2013...(supporting Thames Valley & Chiltern Air Amblance)
http://www.abingdonairandcountry.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

StandardTom

Re: 2016 Abingdon Air & Country Show

Post by StandardTom » Thu Sep 17, 2015 10:12 pm

Thanks for posting the update, that is a fantastic start!
My Photos on Flickr
Cheers, Tom.

oagey

Post by oagey » Wed Sep 23, 2015 8:41 am

A 5 minute Promotional
Video has been posted on to the new Facebook page for the 17th Annual Abingdon
Air & Country Show.

Please take a look and share it around if you can

https://www.facebook.com/AbingdonAirCou ... cation=ufi

2013 Abingdon Charity Air & Country Show 5th May 2013...(supporting Thames Valley & Chiltern Air Amblance)
http://www.abingdonairandcountry.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

oagey

Post by oagey » Sun Oct 04, 2015 4:09 pm

Morning everyone! - ok we had a our first major meeting lastnight, and as a heads up,ticket prices have been set. There will be a slight rise due to the increasing cost of running the show (2015 outlay was £84,852.00!!) and to survive we have to slightly increase our pricing structure, however we have kept an eye on keeping it fairly respectable for joe public and we had frozen the admission prices for the last 4 years at least - so as follows:

On the day - Adult £17.50, Senior Citizens £12, 5-15years £6, Under 5s free.
In advance - Adult £12, Senior Citizens £8, 5-15years £4, Under 5s free

The advance ticket purchases will be set up via the company 'ticketscript' very shortly and there will be a small handling fee on advance tickets (80p + 3% on each advance ticket purchased) but on average a family of 2 adult / 2 children would save around £14 give or take).. so my advice is purchase early to save some money! On the day cash & credit card sales will also be available at the higher 'on the day' price.

The tickets will be online our website (being revamped shortly) and on here. A very limited number of outlets will also sell advance tickets in the New Year too (details tbc).

So, please keep an eye out on both this page and our revised website.....

jem60

Post by jem60 » Mon Oct 05, 2015 9:21 pm

Never made that show. I live in a different part of the country now, but have very fond memories of the place from my ATC days. Flights in Hastings, Beverley, and Anson etc. I hope you all have a successful show. As an OAP, I have a wry smile at the reduced price for pensioners. We are probably in the best position to afford the full price these days.!!!!! My abiding memory of the old Abingdon shows was seeing two Mosquitoes in formation. Never to be seen again, but you never know.........Best regards, John.[aged 73 now. Still got my four passions... Aeroplanes, sunshine, motor racing and pretty women. I married one fortunately.!!!]

oagey

Post by oagey » Mon Oct 19, 2015 5:25 am

in case you're stuck for something to treat yourself this Xmas why not
get your tickets for next years Abingdon Air & Country Show

They are on sale
now via the
website;

http://www.abingdonairandcountry.co.uk/the-show/

Flyingmonster

Post by Flyingmonster » Wed Jan 27, 2016 9:53 pm

Sadly, the Sea Vixen has pulled owing to owing to now being at least a month behind schedule with issues on one engine & associated repairs.

News shared on the shows Facebook here - https://www.facebook.com/AbingdonAirCou ... ts&fref=ts
Cheers

Boo boo (aka Jamie)

'The first time I ever saw a jet, I shot it down!' - Yeager

stingrays4

Post by stingrays4 » Thu Feb 04, 2016 8:18 pm

Hi shame the Sea Vixen has had to pull out,lets hope they get all sorted what they need to do. Any idea's as to what may replace it?

oagey

Post by oagey » Tue Feb 16, 2016 11:03 am

OK...if anyone who lives,works or has contacts in the OX13 & OX14 postcode areas I'm wondering if you can help please.
(This area covers Abingdon,Appleford,Marcham,Radley,Sunningwell,Kingston Bagpuize,Milton & Milton Heights,the Wittenhams,Sutton Courtenay,Steventon,Drayton,Wootton,Dry Sandford,Shippon among others)

Chancellors Estate Agents of Abingdon have kindly offered to support and help publicise this years Abingdon Air & Country Show on May 1st by way of placing "For Sale" boards with the show's details in locations in the above areas.Boards would be in place for approximately 3 weeks leading up to the show and will be removed as soon as possible after the show

If you(or you think someone you know)could help please let me know as every little bit of publicity for the show will help it's continued success andsupport of the Thames Valley Air Ambulance

THANK YOU

oagey

Post by oagey » Sun Feb 28, 2016 9:38 pm

When your friendly neighbourhood postie delivers the Round and About magazine this coming week(assuming you live in an area covered by that magazine) don't throw it out as there is a competition inside to win one of 5 pairs of Adult tickets to this years 17th Annual Abingdon Air & Country Show.Of course if you're not a lucky winner then Discount Price Advance Tickets can be purchased from the website(www.abingdonairandcountry.co.uk) and also over the counter at the following locations;-

ABINGDON

Visitor & Information Centre,ROYSSE FOYER,Guildhall,2 Bridge Street,ABINGDON,OX 14 3HL

Newbury Building Society,1 West St Helens Street,ABINGDON,OX14 5BL

DIDCOT

Town Council Info Centre,CIVIC HALL,Britwell Road,DIDCOT,OX11 7JN

Newbury Building Society,136 Broadway,DIDCOT OX11 8RJ

HARWELL

Bob’s Butchers,1 High Street,HARWELL,OX11 0ER

WALLINGFORD

Masterfloors,20 St Martin’s Street,WALLINGFORD,OX10 0AJ

WANTAGE

Vale & Downland Museum,Church Street,WANTAGE,OX12 8BL

WITNEY

Visitor Information Centre,3 Welch Way,WITNEY,OX28 6JH

Scudpilot

Post by Scudpilot » Fri Apr 08, 2016 9:03 am

Was really looking forward to this, but the P51 and Spit have now cancelled

:(
Nikon D7000, Nikon 200-500
http://www.flickr.com/jimpritchard67

rdchawk

Post by rdchawk » Fri Apr 08, 2016 10:09 am

Scudpilot wrote:Was really looking forward to this, but the P51 and Spit have now cancelled

So because of 1 cancellation you're now not looking forward to it anymore?? Knowing Abingdon they normally have a few back up plans for cancellations.
Whisky Connoisseur, Darts Player for the Jolly Sailor and Watford Fan

seven

Post by seven » Fri Apr 08, 2016 10:51 am

He was 'really' looking forward too it ;)

#KeepFightingMichael #banthebulls

MRTT

Post by MRTT » Fri Apr 08, 2016 10:56 am

rdchawk wrote:
Scudpilot wrote:Was really looking forward to this, but the P51 and Spit have now cancelled

So because of 1 cancellation you're now not looking forward to it anymore?? Knowing Abingdon they normally have a few back up plans for cancellations.
That's correct, in fact Neil has already booked something.

Scudpilot

Post by Scudpilot » Fri Apr 08, 2016 11:51 am

BrizeWatcher wrote:
rdchawk wrote:

That's correct, in fact Neil has already booked something.
None of which anyone knows about yet.
My point was, the P51 and the Spit were a big part of the show, and now they are not.
I don't know how big this show is, I have never been, but it appears to be very small, so anything being cancelled is going to have an impact.
Nikon D7000, Nikon 200-500
http://www.flickr.com/jimpritchard67

POL

Post by POL » Fri Apr 08, 2016 12:32 pm

There's still a P-40 I believe...

The Wessex more than makes up for the P-51 and Spitfire; it is somewhat rarer!

Abingdon isn't a huge airshow, it doesn't pretend to be. It is, however, a relaxed, refreshing change from the norm, and we'll worth the entry.

POL

Post by POL » Sat Apr 09, 2016 6:45 am

Blenheim to replace Spitfire and P-51.

peasus911

Post by peasus911 » Sat Apr 09, 2016 9:42 am

Well put EGVP. People do go to Airshows for many reasons, I have lost count of times that I have been to a show and after a certain aircraft has finished performing, people leave to miss the traffic etc. Abingdon does seem to get a very good selection of aircraft and Brize Norton normally send over a returning flight that always impresses the crowd. My own reason for attending used to be to test out my latest lens or camera but I have come to accept the show in its own format now as a thoroughly enjoyable day out without the stresses and pressures of the big type of shows. if someone is upset by a cancellation, I understand their disappointment but feel as others have said that the organisers would normally have a plan B and the Blenheim certainly does it for me. :)

oagey

Post by oagey » Sat Apr 09, 2016 3:28 pm

an update on the majority of the 2016 Abingdon Air & Country Show show attractions including the cancelled Spitfire / Mustang / AN2 displays replacement in the form of the Bristol Blenhiem bomber!:

Ground Exhibits to include:
World War Two Re-enactors,
Portsmouth Model Boat Display Team,
Classic / Vintage Vehicles / Motorbikes,
Crafts Marquee,
Thames Valley Air Ambulance Stand / Helicopter,
‘Radio Days’ live music,
Hawkwalk Falconry Demonstration,
Various Trade Stalls,
Oxford Gliding Club stand / Glider,
2 Flight Simulators,
DeHavilland Sea Vixen cockpit, Hunter cockpit,
Viv ‘O’ Gara Irish Dancing,
Hot Air Balloon x1 – Oxford Balloon Company,
Humphris & Great Wall new cars Garages exhibitions,
Hot Air Balloon x2 – RAF Halton Hot Air Balloon Club,
Classic Jets Radio Controlled Model flying club,
Doctor Who Daleks & ‘friends’,
Russian T55,Saurer Schutzenpanzer 4k4fa Austrian armoured carrier,Vickers Armstrong FV432 + Diesel CVRT Scorpion for rides (subject to terrain course inspection),
Oxfordshire Rock Choir,Cornocopia (Appalation Clog dancers), Greg Pullum – Blues & Boogie singer,
Adventure 001 Pleasure Flights (Helicopter rides)
Huskys in need,
OXSAR & Bucks search & rescue dogs demonstration,
RAF 4624 Auxillary AirForce,Brize Norton,
Thames Valley Police Mounted Division (Horses),
Army 202 Field Hospital,Abingdon,
Miniature Steam Engines,
Williams Grand Prix Formula One static car.
7th Rifles Company with equipment / Gazelle.
Amusements.

Static Aircraft (up to around 60+ varying types include):
Rockwell OV-10 Bronco,
YAK52 x2,
Bulldogs,
Cessna 172,
Skyvan,
Boeing Stearman,
Auster (Historic Army Flight),
T6 Texan,
Grumman AA5,
EV-97,
Helio Courier,
PA28,
Vans RV9,
Bell Jetranger (Pleasure Flights),
Piper Cubs,
SF260 Marchetti,
Airtourer,
Cabri,
Gazelles (up to 6 possible)
Westland Wessex,
DR400,
Spitfire Mk26B,
DH82 Tiger Moth,
Auster J/1, Beaver (Army Historic Flight),
Pitts S-1S,
Saro Skeeter (Army Historic Flight),
RAF Puma (tbc)
RAF Chinook (tbc)
RAF Tutor,
RAF Vigilant (based 612VGS),

Flying Display Program (not in order):
P40 Kittyhawk,
Silence Twister solo,
Pitts Special,
Yakolev Yak3 UM,
Calidus Autogyro,
Auster,
Bristol Blenheim,
Fournier RF4 Motorglider,
Wasp Helicopter,
Jump4Heroes Parachute Display Team, (& Skyvan),
Historic Army Flying Sioux & Scout helicopters,
PBY5A Catalina,
RAF Battle of Britain Memorial Flight Spitfire, Hurricane,
Curtis Wright TravelAir & Miles Messenger.

There is still a possibility of a 'heavy type' in some form from RAF Brize Norton - tbc.

Apart from the RAF BBMF Spitfire & Hurricane, all other display aircraft will be on static display.
Saturday 30th April – Night photohoot – from approx. 7.30pm, please email to neilsevent72@gmail.com to register – all you need to do is supply your name, phone number and suitable email address. £20 per head payable on the night. Up to 12 aircraft to photo - still places available. Details to those successful to follow later in April.

Advance Tickets available from the website www.abingdonairandcountry.co.uk and outlets in Abingdon,Didcot,Harwell,Wallingford,Wantage and Witney
PLEASE SHARE,thank you!!!!!!!!!!

MRTT

Post by MRTT » Sun Apr 24, 2016 11:02 am

Neil has requested a flypast by an F-22 from Lakenheath, would be a coup for the show! :thumb:

Return to “Other Airshows & Events”