Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Eastbourne viewing

Post information on other airshows and events here.
sneezy24

Eastbourne viewing

Post by sneezy24 » Thu Mar 26, 2015 8:58 am

Thinking of going to Eastbourne this year, I want to see Red Arrows, Typhoons, Hawks, BBMF and I can't get to any other show which features all these.

Is Beachy Head a good place to view? If so, what is parking like, how early do I need to be there (Sat/Sun). I assume it is a good photo position?

Alternatively, is it do-able by train? (for the sea-front, not Beachy Head). Is the sea-front any good for pictures?

Any comments welcome!

Mick
Canon EOS 80D
Canon 70-300 USM II
Canon 18-135 USM
Uniden 125XLT
Canon 50mm 1.8
Panasonic Lumix TZ70

Sussex to Devon

Re: Eastbourne viewing

Post by Sussex to Devon » Thu Mar 26, 2015 10:20 am

Hi,

When I used to live down that way, I used the train and it was very easy. The beach does get crowded.
Ian

Dan D'Air

Post by Dan D'Air » Thu Mar 26, 2015 2:42 pm

sneezy24 wrote:
Is Beachy Head a good place to view? If so, what is parking like, how early do I need to be there (Sat/Sun). I assume it is a good photo position?

Mick
I would also like to hear of anybody's observations on the Beachy Head area or nearby with regards to seeing the show.
Thanks in advance.
Dan
"Shakin the tree boss, shakin the tree"

Sparts99

Post by Sparts99 » Thu Mar 26, 2015 3:40 pm

I'll be heading to Beachy Head myself, never been before. Research so far is that there's a car park, tea van and toilets. This year might be busy as they are running a park and ride from the car park, so early arrival is probably a good idea if you're driving. Seems that a scanner is a necessary as the low flyers appear without warning round the cliff. Best place to view the Arrows is from the top, other acts arrivals and departures might be better lower down. Open up the airshows & events picture section and search 'Beachy Head' some stunning shots there. I have watched from the Eastbourne beach and didn't really enjoy it. The front was absolutely rammed, and tempers were very frayed in the car parks both arriving and departing.
In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.

sneezy24

Post by sneezy24 » Thu Mar 26, 2015 4:05 pm

Thanks for the updates.

Think I will be going, might go the day before and stay closer (coming from Reading).

Don't think I will be doing Red Bull race this year, unless I go on Sunday....

Any comments very welcome.

Mick
Canon EOS 80D
Canon 70-300 USM II
Canon 18-135 USM
Uniden 125XLT
Canon 50mm 1.8
Panasonic Lumix TZ70

sneezy24

Post by sneezy24 » Thu Mar 26, 2015 4:07 pm

..or Friday?

Typhoons, Reds, BBMF - just missing the T2 Hawk role demo, might catch that elsewhere....
Canon EOS 80D
Canon 70-300 USM II
Canon 18-135 USM
Uniden 125XLT
Canon 50mm 1.8
Panasonic Lumix TZ70

apex

Post by apex » Thu Mar 26, 2015 8:59 pm

Have a search on "Youtube", there is some footage from Beachy Head that will give you a good feel for the location.
Views of the display are very distant from there, although far more relaxed than the seafront area. However, you would normally get some impressive passes of display items in transit to and from Shoreham. Typically, these will be the solo warbirds, Blades, Wingwalkers and helicopters. Fast jet items and the BBMF will fly from elsewhere, although the BBMF often pass round the head during their display but I've never seen the Typhoon get close.
For photography, a long lens is needed, minimum 300mm, though this will also depend on your cameras ability to take shots that can be heavily cropped and still retain good image quality, the more pixels the better. It can be hit and miss for the low passes, some days they are great, other days they may be too high, slightly behind you or too far out to sea, it just depends on the crews whim or the need to de-conflict with other traffic. The sun is against you at the start of the display but moves round to the side by the end, although the shots you want will hopefully be looking down towards the sea, so this is not so much of a problem and the top of the aircraft do capture some of the light at least.
Thursday is normally no problem crowd wise, though check the flying display, as some items do not appear until Friday or the weekend. The flying usually starts around 12-30, but get there earlier to secure a parking spot near where you need to be, although there is additional parking a scenic walk away but I don't know if it ever gets completely full, as I'm in position by start time so not able to observe that. There is plenty of room to view once out of the car.
Expect the day the Vulcan appears to be very busy.
Be warned, it can be very cold up there if you are not sheltered from the wind and avoid departing via the seafront, as it will be gridlocked for a good while, though if you are used to Fairford and the like, it may seem not too bad. There are toilets by the main car park but these can also get busy, especially if you need the ladies loo.
As for viewing from the seafront, yes it does get busy but if you go slightly east/west of the display centre, then you will find a spot to sit. No idea about parking as I've never done it but it will be hard to find a spot within ten minutes of display centre. Park and ride operates from near Princess Park, some two miles to the east, which is an option. You will have the displays right in front of you but if the sun is out, will be pretty hopeless for photography until mid afternoon. With this in mind, you would be better off slightly west of display centre, so that the sun will be behind you later. If it's cloudy, then some decent flying shots can be had, particularly top side shots as the aircraft roll, again with a longish lens but obviously you will be looking up rather than down as at Beachy Head
I note a Belgian NH-90 is hoped for a SAR demo. This may be best from the seafront, towards the western end, as it rises up the further west you go. Also South Cliffe road just behind the seafront offers considerable elevation, so you get the sea as your backdrop, rather than the sky. That said, if it operates from Shoreham, it may be best from Beachy Head if the pilots play ball.
Hope this is of some use.
Malcolm

sneezy24

Post by sneezy24 » Fri Mar 27, 2015 11:58 am

Thanks for the really comprehensive update! very useful.

I'll decide finally closer to the date, but I'm tending towards Beachy Head by car on Friday, and possibly sea front by train on Saturday. I can then get to Ascot on Sunday for Red Bull.....

Haven't told the wife yet!

Mick
Canon EOS 80D
Canon 70-300 USM II
Canon 18-135 USM
Uniden 125XLT
Canon 50mm 1.8
Panasonic Lumix TZ70

Dan D'Air

Post by Dan D'Air » Fri Mar 27, 2015 1:34 pm

Yes, thanks Apex. Excellent.
Dan
"Shakin the tree boss, shakin the tree"

lambo1784

Post by lambo1784 » Fri Mar 27, 2015 2:11 pm

There is also a park and ride at the western end of town at St Andrews school.Donation for parking with a bus service of £2 each way.Only runs every 30 mins though and drops you by the main western lawns area.Viewing from the Wish tower area is higher than the beach and gives a reasonable height for graphs although as stated you do need a 300 lens.
Getting away from the school is a lot easier than the eastern end parking area
The pier if open,after the fire, also gives a good view but not certain if it will be available.
To get to the display line from the station follow the signs to the theatres area or the sign for the pier if you want that.
Hope this helps,no day yet announced for the Vulcan best to keep a eye on Eastbourne air show pages for details or
air-shows.org.uk keeps up to date as well.

John in Seaford
Last edited by lambo1784 on Fri Mar 27, 2015 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sneezy24

Post by sneezy24 » Fri Mar 27, 2015 4:05 pm

Some more excellent info. thanks.
Canon EOS 80D
Canon 70-300 USM II
Canon 18-135 USM
Uniden 125XLT
Canon 50mm 1.8
Panasonic Lumix TZ70

Sparts99

Post by Sparts99 » Fri Mar 27, 2015 5:48 pm

maybe we should have an FC camp at Beachy Head.
In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.

apex

Post by apex » Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:28 pm

sneezy24 wrote:Thanks for the really comprehensive update! very useful.

I'll decide finally closer to the date, but I'm tending towards Beachy Head by car on Friday, and possibly sea front by train on Saturday. I can then get to Ascot on Sunday for Red Bull.....

Haven't told the wife yet!

Mick
Being local, I tend to take Beachy Head for granted but for a first time visit, it is a pretty impressive place even when there is no airshow, so I would definitely try that first.

Return to “Other Airshows & Events”