Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Cosford Airshow 2013

Post information relating to Cosford airshow here.
Surfrdan

Re: Cosford Airshow 2013

Post by Surfrdan » Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:19 am

Drove from Aberystwyth to Telford where we parked in ample car paring and got the train 9 minutes down the line to Cosford where we got off at the gates to the base. Return journey looked like it was going to be hell when we saw the queue for the train but the police had the queue under control and railtrack/network rail/arriva or whoever had someone available for questions. talk of 200 per train and already 200 on the platform was rife, but in actuality the first train arrived 10 minutes later and I think the entire queue managed to get on board. We were way at the back of the queue and scored a table and 4 seats in a comfortable carriage. Most seemed to be getting off 1 stop down the line. Id recommend going a couple stops further to spread the load. Definitely the way to do it.

Malcolm

Post by Malcolm » Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:46 am

I left Solihull at 8am ish. M42, M6, M56. My intention was to go to Shawbury first, then back to Cosford. The queue on the M56 started soon after J-2, and looked solid to me, with queues on both the hard shoulder and lane 1. Decided that the standard routes back in were probably not a good idea. Got to Shawbury about 9am, polled off the 5 squirrels and the Griffen. No Tiffies out, but didn't need either anyway. Then back to the M54, left at J4. Brekkie Bacon Buttie in the service station, then in via the back roads. Joined the back of a queue in Albrighton at about 10:30 (could see the two Jags taxying around the airfield) onto the A41, and in via the crash gate by the heli-med/vigilants. Parked up by 11:15.

The problem to me appeared to be the delays in parking people up. Once separated into 2 or 4 lines for ticket inspection/pay on the gate, these lines were merged back together for parking instead of being directed to 4 separate parking lines/areas. I didn't have a ticket, and wasn't aware that they were saying no entry without a ticket till reading this thread. No problems on the gate though, and they hapilly took my £25. The reality of the situation at Cosford is that if you make it to the turn off into Cosford, they are obliged to let you in coz there is no way out.

Watched the show till the Reds appeared - which is our normal signal to "get the hell out of there". I reasoned that if it took from 8am till 3pm to get everyone in, then once the reds/vulcan had displayed, there was going to be a mass exodus and it would likely take ages to get out again. Asked one of the traffic attendants when traffic flow would be reversed and he said soon/now. So went to the gate, and was out by 15:30 (during the Apacke/Chinook display), and back in Solihill by 16:30. The roads around Cosford were packed with spectaitors on the way out, so either lots chose not to go in, or couldn't get in.

All in all a good day out - got what I wanted to see, and avoded most of the predictable greif.

ROSEB

Post by ROSEB » Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:54 pm

Our third Cosford - first one with no rain! and a brilliant day, set off 7.30 from Derby - via Burton to collect my brother - in and parked up by 9am - very lucky with the traffic, stayed for whole day - some great displays, nice seeing the Herc and Dakota, stayed till 20.30 after having seen the appalling jams and cars not moving! went to exit and by that stage the rear gate had been closed so sent us straight down the runway! what a way to leave!!
brilliant day will be back next year, now to sort the photos!
Rose :D

Bob DeBilda

Post by Bob DeBilda » Mon Jun 10, 2013 3:22 pm

RAFfan99 wrote:gates open at 0830
0920-1015 GA arrivals
1015-1045 jaguar taxi demo
1045-1145 model aircraft flying display
1145 flying displays start
RAF fan 99
Where did you get this info ?
I couldn't find any of it on their website and I was well miffed at missing the Jags on the runway - particularly after leaving home at 9.00am for what is normally a 45 minute journey!
Last edited by Bob DeBilda on Thu Jun 27, 2013 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tom.Joyce

Post by Tom.Joyce » Mon Jun 10, 2013 3:49 pm

It was my first time at cosford this year, however having lived in the village of Tettenhall on the A41 for all of my childhood, and understanding the issues of the M54 when V festival is on (or anything at Cosford). I thought that the A41 and M54 would be an absolute Nightmare from the outset. A little time spent on google maps pre planning and a few carefully selected back lanes meant that I got in with no real delays as the lanes dropped me out less than 1/2 a mile from the gate. I would add that the routes I took are all accessible from the M6 or from earlier junctions on the M54. I feel sorry for the people that were stuck in traffic...... But as others have already said, a bit of pre planning or imagination with using alternative modes of transport would probably solve 8 out of 10 of the issues that people are talking about........
If at first you don't succeed -it's probably best not to take up parachuting

Timc63

Post by Timc63 » Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:11 pm

Fortunately, knowing all the back roads and parking up at my mums in Albrighton certainly helped, I witnessed the frustration of many people who tried to get in.

Really do think it's time for the organisers to consider some form of park and ride centred around Jnc 2 and 4 of the M54, I'm sure plenty of farmers would bite their hand off for a little bit of extra revenue!

Cheers
Tim

Viv

Post by Viv » Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:22 pm

absoultely loved it !!

Far too excited, so 5:30am up & there for 7am.

Jamie (Typhoon) was completely amazing - the crowd line reaction during & after was incredible !!

Didn't bother leaving until 19:30 - took a walk around, met friends, chatted about show, then straight out & home - couldn't have been a better day :thumbs:

Flyingmonster

Post by Flyingmonster » Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:21 pm

We left Skipton at 0500 and were walking around the Jags but 0730! Queued for about 5 minutes and then straight onto the airfield. Top day! :thumb:
Cheers

Boo boo (aka Jamie)

'The first time I ever saw a jet, I shot it down!' - Yeager

wave scanner

Post by wave scanner » Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:44 pm

Fortunatley was routed via Satnav through the back lanes to the South of Cosford straight in to Albrighton CC 10:10 local time.
No traffic at all only Cyclists participating in a fun cycle of 40 or 60 miles :lol:
Heard the Police helicopter Talking to Cosford tower saying how bad the M54 was
Was a Fantastic Display and the best weather one could have asked for :thumb:
Shame about the people who missed it due to traffic or lack of tickets :(
Kind regards. Stu. H

one1938

Post by one1938 » Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:21 pm

Left Harrogate by coach at 5am did not get back till 11:30 pm absolutley the first and last time ever .It was ludicrous however on the positive side the airshow was great has anyone got a list of aircraft at the show please. the main adverse comment is the signage was rubbish

one1938

Post by one1938 » Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:24 pm

Left Harrogate by coach at 5am did not get back till 11:30 pm absolutley the first and last time ever .It was ludicrous however on the positive side the airshow was great has anyone got a list of aircraft at the show please. the main adverse comment is the signage was rubbish

luke28

Post by luke28 » Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:12 pm

one1938 wrote:Left Harrogate by coach at 5am did not get back till 11:30 pm absolutley the first and last time ever .It was ludicrous however on the positive side the airshow was great has anyone got a list of aircraft at the show please. the main adverse comment is the signage was rubbish
Leaving at 5am and getting home at 11pm is pretty standard for an airshow.

Dunk

Post by Dunk » Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:17 pm

Bob DeBilda wrote:
RAFfan99 wrote:gates open at 0830
0920-1015 GA arrivals
1015-1045 jaguar taxi demo
1045-1145 model aircraft flying display
1145 flying displays start
Where did you get this info ?
I couldn't find any of it on their website and I was well miffed at missing the Jags on the runway - particularly after leaving home at 9.00am for what is normally a 45 minute journey!
Hi Bob

Barring missing the Jag's, how was your day out there after winning the tickets?

one1938

Post by one1938 » Wed Jun 12, 2013 5:33 pm

to the peson who thought the travel time to and from the show was okay I can only say i''''otl

romeo bravo

Post by romeo bravo » Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:12 am

luke28 wrote:
one1938 wrote:Left Harrogate by coach at 5am did not get back till 11:30 pm absolutley the first and last time ever .It was ludicrous however on the positive side the airshow was great has anyone got a list of aircraft at the show please. the main adverse comment is the signage was rubbish
Leaving at 5am and getting home at 11pm is pretty standard for an airshow.
Standard timings for me doing Fairford. Goes with the terrority...

Bob DeBilda

Post by Bob DeBilda » Thu Jun 13, 2013 5:54 pm

Hi Dunk,
Apart from missing the Jags the show was excellent. Serves me right I suppose for for not setting out earlier, but there were no timings at all on the show's website.
As others on this forum have said it is time they got the traffic and parking arrangements sorted; I have been going to Cosford shows for about 10 years on and off and the problems are just as bad. What really annoys me is those who take the trouble to get there early are parked farthest from the main gate and hence have the most trouble getting out (via back lanes and round the barrack buildings); ;whereas those who arrive last are closest to the gate and get out, on to the main road, in a fraction of the time.
However, as I won the tickets...."mustn't grumble!" -thanks again Dunk.
I intend to post some of my photos ( first time ever!) if I can figure out how. Following your guide I have set up a Flick R album and I'm trying to figure out the rest!

johnhowe

Post by johnhowe » Thu Jun 13, 2013 6:17 pm

Like you I go to Airshows early, however midway through the morning or early afternoon I then move nearest to the gate I want to leave by, offering the bobby on point duty a cool bottle of drink sometimes helps too. If all else fails I show my NARPO card.

Return to “Cosford”