Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Cosford Air Show 2016

Post information relating to Cosford airshow here.

Re: Cosford Air Show 2016

Postby EGVP » Mon Jun 20, 2016 3:38 pm

luke28 wrote:The 'general public' are annihilating the event on Social media, us 'whinging enthusiasts' have been a bit fairer in our critisism.

No they're not. They're complaining at the lack of fast jets (not Cosford's fault; blame Denmark), the lack of sunshine (seriously!); the fact the BBMF Lancaster was on the Cosford website but didn't turn up (I presume they mean Dakota?); that the fact they couldn't get out of the showground, along with thousands of others, in 5 minutes (because they are the only people in their own little world?); that the food was expensive (reality check, it is at any such event!); that the "little planes I see every day" were flying rather than not (but then surely the flying lineup would have had even less?); and my personal favourite, that "While I appreciate the Battle of Britain memorial flight, they need some more high speed planes". Yes, really, the BBMF need to get some faster aircraft in their display. Looking forward to the BBMF F-16 display at RIAT!?

The problem is that those that went last year for the first time, thought that it was the norm. The Cosford team did an amazing job last year and eclipsed previous shows by a country mile. Sadly people don't remember the shows previously, or didn't attend, and therefore are assuming this year was rubbish.

Oh, worth pointing out that if you take a percentage of those having posted reviews on Facebook, about 85% of people left after the Red Arrows, which - having been there myself - is not at all representative of reality.

luke28 wrote:As usual at the first sign of critism and the standard 'organise an airshow yourself' line gets brought out, show organise work extremely hard, Peter Reoch and the team at Cosford had a lot to contend with but does that mean tha the show should be free of criticism?

It gets wheeled out because it is true; how many people complaining about the lineup at such an event have organised one? Do you know how difficult it is to get even a based aircraft to appear, in the air? Do you know the myriad of paperwork that needs to be done for an aircraft to display? Did you know an extra form was slotted in by the CAA, with no warning, last Thursday afternoon? Did you know the CAA have such a backlog of display approvals to work through, a number of display acts are starting to struggle to meet their timings to be ready for events? Did you know that, no matter how hard you try, you can't "book" a military aircraft for either flying or static display? Did you know that if your request for an aircraft is accepted by the British MOD, you must then pay a fee; which in some cases is rather large?

Should the show be free from well-informed, reasoned criticism? No. Should it be free from the nonsense being posted by enthusiasts and non-enthusiasts alike? Most certainly yes.
EGVP
 

Re: Cosford Air Show 2016

Postby NotPennysBoat » Mon Jun 20, 2016 3:44 pm

85% of people left after the red arrows? Are you having a laugh?

You're saying that 51,000 people left at 3pm are you?

Either you were at a different Airshow or you're not very good at percentages.
Check out some of my photos here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/125361123 ... 711095037/

Canon 5D Mark III | Canon 7D Mark II | DJI Phantom 4
User avatar
NotPennysBoat
 
Location: South West, United Kingdom

Re: Cosford Air Show 2016

Postby MRTT » Mon Jun 20, 2016 3:48 pm

luke28 wrote:(97) 315-XN
(104) 315-XU

Thanks Luke! :)
MRTT
 

Re: Cosford Air Show 2016

Postby luke28 » Mon Jun 20, 2016 3:57 pm

EGVP wrote:
luke28 wrote:The 'general public' are annihilating the event on Social media, us 'whinging enthusiasts' have been a bit fairer in our critisism.

No they're not. They're complaining at the lack of fast jets (not Cosford's fault; blame Denmark), the lack of sunshine (seriously!); the fact the BBMF Lancaster was on the Cosford website but didn't turn up (I presume they mean Dakota?); that the fact they couldn't get out of the showground, along with thousands of others, in 5 minutes (because they are the only people in their own little world?); that the food was expensive (reality check, it is at any such event!); that the "little planes I see every day" were flying rather than not (but then surely the flying lineup would have had even less?); and my personal favourite, that "While I appreciate the Battle of Britain memorial flight, they need some more high speed planes". Yes, really, the BBMF need to get some faster aircraft in their display. Looking forward to the BBMF F-16 display at RIAT!?

The problem is that those that went last year for the first time, thought that it was the norm. The Cosford team did an amazing job last year and eclipsed previous shows by a country mile. Sadly people don't remember the shows previously, or didn't attend, and therefore are assuming this year was rubbish.

Oh, worth pointing out that if you take a percentage of those having posted reviews on Facebook, about 85% of people left after the Red Arrows, which - having been there myself - is not at all representative of reality.

So you're agreeing with me then

luke28 wrote:As usual at the first sign of critism and the standard 'organise an airshow yourself' line gets brought out, show organise work extremely hard, Peter Reoch and the team at Cosford had a lot to contend with but does that mean tha the show should be free of criticism?

It gets wheeled out because it is true; how many people complaining about the lineup at such an event have organised one? Do you know how difficult it is to get even a based aircraft to appear, in the air? Do you know the myriad of paperwork that needs to be done for an aircraft to display? Did you know an extra form was slotted in by the CAA, with no warning, last Thursday afternoon? Did you know the CAA have such a backlog of display approvals to work through, a number of display acts are starting to struggle to meet their timings to be ready for events? Did you know that, no matter how hard you try, you can't "book" a military aircraft for either flying or static display? Did you know that if your request for an aircraft is accepted by the British MOD, you must then pay a fee; which in some cases is rather large?

I'm aware of all of that, it hold no relevance though as not once have I complained about the line up.


Should the show be free from well-informed, reasoned criticism? No. Should it be free from the nonsense being posted by enthusiasts and non-enthusiasts alike? Most certainly yes.
User avatar
luke28
 
Location: Birmingham

Re: Cosford Air Show 2016

Postby EGVP » Mon Jun 20, 2016 4:15 pm

NotPennysBoat wrote:85% of people left after the red arrows? Are you having a laugh?

No, but I will say you clearly can't read.

"Oh, worth pointing out that if you take a percentage of those having posted reviews on Facebook, about 85% of people left after the Red Arrows, which - having been there myself - is not at all representative of reality."

I.e. The Facebook posts are a small, small number of people compared to those that were there.

luke28 wrote:So you're agreeing with me then

I don't dispute people are complaining; my actual point was that of those complaints, the vast majority of them are nonsensical reasons over which Cosford had little or no control.[/quote]

luke28 wrote:I'm aware of all of that, it hold no relevance though as not once have I complained about the line up.

But it answered your point about why the "organise it yourself" line is brought out, correct?
EGVP
 

Re: Cosford Air Show 2016

Postby ndam356 » Mon Jun 20, 2016 4:24 pm

no puma flypst
ndam356
 

Re: Cosford Air Show 2016

Postby jaydean » Mon Jun 20, 2016 6:21 pm

The commentator was my biggest gripe. He didn't seem to have a clue, absolutely no notice whatsoever that the MiG was approaching until after it had arrived, no idea when the displays had finished or not. It seemed like they were totally detached of information from the tower
User avatar
jaydean
 
Location: Sheffield

Re: Cosford Air Show 2016

Postby martmpf » Mon Jun 20, 2016 6:59 pm

I only watched on "PlanesTV", but got the impression that it was the same as the live commentator. Perhaps somebody can confirm.
Appeared total out of touch.
Didn't he have at least a scanner?
If that was the case, felt sorry for the people that paid in the cr*p weather, which of course isn't anybody's fault.
martmpf
 
Location: Grimsby

Re: Cosford Air Show 2016

Postby NotPennysBoat » Mon Jun 20, 2016 7:18 pm

Fair enough. I misread.

Show was still **** though.
Check out some of my photos here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/125361123 ... 711095037/

Canon 5D Mark III | Canon 7D Mark II | DJI Phantom 4
User avatar
NotPennysBoat
 
Location: South West, United Kingdom

Re: Cosford Air Show 2016

Postby napalm42 » Wed Jun 22, 2016 8:35 pm

Personally ,I thought it was a good show.

I really went to see the Bristol 188,Fairy Delta 2, and Avro 707 outdoors.
This was achieved,and photographed in sunshine :clap:

Also, the desert Jag and Tornado were great for pics.

The organizers cannot control the weather,but the hangar displays were very good.

Well done Cosford. more museum gems outside please .

A satisfied visitor.
User avatar
napalm42
 
Location: Uxbridge,Middlesex

Re: Cosford Air Show 2016

Postby pecrow » Fri Jun 24, 2016 1:47 pm

Any idea why there were no Jag taxi runs? that might have gone some way towards satisfying the fast jet appetite.
pecrow
 

Previous

Return to Cosford

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest