Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Two helicopters just passed overhead!

Please post movements and activities for RNAS Culdrose and Predannack here
Aircraftpaulcornwall

Two helicopters just passed overhead!

Post by Aircraftpaulcornwall » Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:23 pm

Hi all,
At 2105Z this evening (2105BST) two helicopters (a minute or so apart) flew over here, from southsouthwest to northnortheast,
each with one static white light and a strobing red light. Does anyone know anything about them, e.g. type, from where to where? etc.
Many thanks -Paul

Aircraftpaulcornwall

Re: Two helicopters just passed overhead!

Post by Aircraftpaulcornwall » Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:24 pm

Sorry - BST time should be 2200!

MRTT

Post by MRTT » Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:38 pm

Thought I saw something in Mousehole as well? Wouldn't expect anything to be operating from Culdrose at this time though.

slogen51

Post by slogen51 » Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:33 am

A pair of HH-60s took off from Lakenheath a bit before 7pm on Tuesday evening - can't imagine they would head out that far but you never can tell.

Josh B

Post by Josh B » Wed Aug 09, 2017 2:48 pm

Really rather hard to identify an helicopter type by just it's anti collision lights Paul :D
But it's just as well I know what they were.
They were a pair of AAC 658sqn Dauphins
Used by our "Special Forces!"
They had been out at Predannack operating before doing a hot refuel at culdrose and then departing to St Mawgan (not Newquay airport before anyone says!) to night stop there.. ;)
I caught them both there this morning before they departed out again lunch time. Not sure where they went after that.

Aircraftpaulcornwall

Post by Aircraftpaulcornwall » Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:03 pm

Thanks to everyone for replies!
(Firstly - the BST time would have been 2205! - I got it right at last!)
MRTT - I should imagine that these could well have been seen from Mousehole as well!
slogen51 - that's interesting, but unlikely to be the ones down here - but who knows! - anything is possible!
Josh B - The engines did sound vaguely familiar, but Dauphins are not seen much around here - if it was a Merlin, I'd know it right away!
And it was dark, and as you say - it is difficult to tell just by the strobes etc.
Thank you for confirming exactly what they were and where they were stopping overnight. That would account for the NNE heading from here!
I presume that they were similar (or even possibly the same ones!) that were involved in 'Special Forces' operations in London a few months ago which was covered by TV! - Thanks again -Paul

Return to “RNAS Culdrose & Predannack”