Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

STRANGE MILITARY AIRCRAFT - SAT 05/08/17

Please post movements and activities for RNAS Culdrose and Predannack here
Aircraftpaulcornwall

STRANGE MILITARY AIRCRAFT - SAT 05/08/17

Post by Aircraftpaulcornwall » Sun Aug 06, 2017 8:14 pm

Hi all,
Yesterday evening (Sat 05/08/17) I had a look at FlightRadar24.com and I noticed an aircraft with the callsign (according to FlightRadar24) of VQBYK (EXE - ?)
just departing Exeter Airport - on there, I 'watched' this aircraft (most probably military!) first go NW from Exeter, thence to the N. Somerset Coast and thence southwestwards
just off the N. Devon and N. Cornish coasts to close to Lands End - it then turned on a track just to the NE of here and thence went off to the NE.
In fact, it was a 'triangle' sort of flightplan. When I knew that it was coming in 'this' direction I got out the nokkies and soon heard a 'heavy' jet noise.
At that time of the evening (2020Z) (2120BST), (just about 24 hours ago), I was just able to make out 2 white (1 second) strobing lights (on the port & starboard wingtips) and a flashing red strobe light on the fuselage half way between the white strobes.
This was an aircraft with 2 jet (wing strung) engines and swept back wings, (something maybe similar to the size of a Lear Jet)
FR24 indicated that the Max Alt was 40,000ft off the North Cornish Coast and airspeed was 400Kt Max.
The 'radar' was MLAT-1 (which would possibly indicate that this was 'military' in origin)
I put in a search for this callsign and the nearest that I could find was a privately owned (possibly also Qatar) Boeing 747! (which this was NOT!)
Any info would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks -Paul

Aircraftpaulcornwall

Re: STRANGE MILITARY AIRCRAFT - SAT 05/08/17

Post by Aircraftpaulcornwall » Sun Aug 06, 2017 8:36 pm

FlightRadar24 'timed out' and I lost where it finally went to - the nearest that I saw it was just SE of Exeter Airport (whether it put back down into there or not, I am unsure!)

POL

Post by POL » Sun Aug 06, 2017 8:42 pm

VQ-BYK is an Embraer 170, which are often serviced at Exeter.

Civil, nothing special. MLAT doesn't mean military by any stretch, in fact on FR24 the only military you'll see are ones that don't need MLAT to plot them (and even then, only if they've not been filtered out yet).

Nighthawke

Post by Nighthawke » Sun Aug 06, 2017 8:44 pm

Hi - almost certainly a civilian Embraer 170 registration VQ-BYK (VQ-Bxx Bermuda but often used by Russian Airlines). This has been in store at Exeter and belongs to S7 Airlines. Possibly on a test flight?

JAWS

Post by JAWS » Sun Aug 06, 2017 8:44 pm

Aircraftpaulcornwall wrote:Hi all,
Yesterday evening (Sat 05/08/17) I had a look at FlightRadar24.com and I noticed an aircraft with the callsign (according to FlightRadar24) of VQBYK (EXE - ?)
just departing Exeter Airport - on there, I 'watched' this aircraft (most probably military!) first go NW from Exeter, thence to the N. Somerset Coast and thence southwestwards
just off the N. Devon and N. Cornish coasts to close to Lands End - it then turned on a track just to the NE of here and thence went off to the NE.
In fact, it was a 'triangle' sort of flightplan. When I knew that it was coming in 'this' direction I got out the nokkies and soon heard a 'heavy' jet noise.
At that time of the evening (2020Z) (2120BST), (just about 24 hours ago), I was just able to make out 2 white (1 second) strobing lights (on the port & starboard wingtips) and a flashing red strobe light on the fuselage half way between the white strobes.
This was an aircraft with 2 jet (wing strung) engines and swept back wings, (something maybe similar to the size of a Lear Jet)
FR24 indicated that the Max Alt was 40,000ft off the North Cornish Coast and airspeed was 400Kt Max.
The 'radar' was MLAT-1 (which would possibly indicate that this was 'military' in origin)
I put in a search for this callsign and the nearest that I could find was a privately owned (possibly also Qatar) Boeing 747! (which this was NOT!)
Any info would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks -Paul

Possibly this :

VQ-BYK Embraer ERJ-170 It arrived at Norwich in April as N816MA , then went to Exeter .

http://www.civilianaviation.co.uk/forum ... 6MA#p88183
Regards Steve............

"If the Military had to make money, they'd be doomed !!"
Chuck Adams, Buffalo Airlines.

Aircraftpaulcornwall

Post by Aircraftpaulcornwall » Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:14 pm

Hi EGVP, Nighthawke and STEVIEJAWS,
Many thanks for all of your replies which are greatly appreciated.
It all now looks very much like a 'test' or 'proving' flight which took place last evening.
Very many thanks anyway -Paul

Aircraftpaulcornwall

Post by Aircraftpaulcornwall » Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:19 pm

And, having looked at STEVIEJAWS link, then this looks very much to be the aircraft which I saw last night! -Paul

timb

Post by timb » Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:07 am

VQ-BYK definitely up on an air test Saturday evening, saw it depart and return

Josh B

Post by Josh B » Wed Aug 09, 2017 2:39 pm

Civil type and nothing to do with culdrose either :lol:

Aircraftpaulcornwall

Post by Aircraftpaulcornwall » Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:06 pm

timb & Josh B -