Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

London Mil

Please post movements and activities for RNAS Culdrose and Predannack here
DaveG

London Mil

Post by DaveG » Thu Sep 25, 2014 8:16 pm

Does anyone within short distance of CU pick-up London Mil by any chance?

Before I try extending my antenna height, need to find out if its even possible, I'm guessing not because of the hills between Helston & Redruth.

Cheers
Dave
Running SBS-3 & Planeplotter code: F4
Cornwall, near EGDR

wally1986

Re: London Mil

Post by wally1986 » Thu Sep 25, 2014 9:05 pm

iv had the same prob iv only had one side of it... never london mill though sory.
Graham

buzzer

Post by buzzer » Thu Sep 25, 2014 9:22 pm

It's frustrating dave... When out in the van with just the mag mount on the roof, I have had 2 way com's on 278.600 right down as fair as the wheal dream. Then it just drops of to nothing! :( but it's funny how many remote places you would think you couldn't get 2 way.. but you can.. like the Penryn bypass? !! :huh: I lose mobile phone signal coming round there, but not London ( sorry Swanwick ) mill! ;)
Might be worth giving it a go mind dave.. see how you get on.

EGDR

Post by EGDR » Thu Sep 25, 2014 9:38 pm

Will sometimes get barely readable comms on 278.6 from my bedroom with the telescopic antenna, usually F-15s or the like. The other day heard a Reach call up on there, but again very weak. I'd say give it a go, might not get the best reception ever, but it might work :)

DaveG

Post by DaveG » Thu Sep 25, 2014 9:41 pm

KyleG wrote:Will sometimes get barely readable comms on 278.6 from my bedroom with the telescopic antenna, usually F-15s or the like. The other day heard a Reach call up on there, but again very weak. I'd say give it a go, might not get the best reception ever, but it might work :)
Pick those up Kyle, talking about the other end, so to have 2way comms
Last edited by DaveG on Thu Sep 25, 2014 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cornwall, near EGDR

DaveG

Post by DaveG » Thu Sep 25, 2014 9:43 pm

buzzer wrote:It's frustrating dave... When out in the van with just the mag mount on the roof, I have had 2 way com's on 278.600 right down as fair as the wheal dream. Then it just drops of to nothing! :( but it's funny how many remote places you would think you couldn't get 2 way.. but you can.. like the Penryn bypass? !! :huh: I lose mobile phone signal coming round there, but not London ( sorry Swanwick ) mill! ;)
Might be worth giving it a go mind dave.. see how you get on.
Yep, I'm thinking I've no chance, you know where I live, and Wheal Dream is not that far away and lot higher than I can get pole :(
Cornwall, near EGDR

DaveG

Post by DaveG » Thu Sep 25, 2014 9:57 pm

Just been doing some testing using http://www.heywhatsthat.com
That hill is a killer for me. (left to right - Me to Davidstow)
Cornwall, near EGDR

merlinhole

Post by merlinhole » Thu Sep 25, 2014 10:50 pm

Hi ..... Use a decent scanner , and Discone in the roof space over here in Mousehole .. re:London mil freqs. Aircraft no problem .. two way comms with controllers not good except for 135.15 and occasionally 278.6 . The F-15's up over Dartmoor the other day clear as a bell but no two way comms with London !
Last edited by merlinhole on Fri Sep 26, 2014 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

EGDR

Post by EGDR » Thu Sep 25, 2014 11:36 pm

DaveG wrote:
KyleG wrote:Will sometimes get barely readable comms on 278.6 from my bedroom with the telescopic antenna, usually F-15s or the like. The other day heard a Reach call up on there, but again very weak. I'd say give it a go, might not get the best reception ever, but it might work :)
Pick those up Kyle, talking about the other end, so to have 2way comms
Ohh okay, that explains it then :lol:, don't get anything here from the controller, maybe the odd bit of static with a faint voice on a day with the very best of conditions etc, but thats about it.

buzzer

Post by buzzer » Fri Sep 26, 2014 5:53 am

DaveG wrote:Just been doing some testing using http://www.heywhatsthat.com
That hill is a killer for me. (left to right - Me to Davidstow)
Same hill kills it for me to dave. :grr:
You wouldn't think it but line of site must be pretty much Unrestricted from the transmitter ( at Davidstow) to that short bit of road between Wendron and the wheal dream :roll: mind you. I could get 2 way com's with London mill back in the 90s when I lived in mullion? ! Work that one out ;)

DaveG

Post by DaveG » Fri Sep 26, 2014 8:52 am

Mullion looks okay, from left (Davidstow) to right (Mullion)
Cornwall, near EGDR

buzzer

Post by buzzer » Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:07 pm

Right Dave.. over the last week I have been doing a little bit of investigation work as I have been out and about..
And to keep it short.. early in the morning when propagation conditions are at There best.. I've had London mill all be it on 135.150. Only , 2 way 2 bar on the roundabout for the lower town turning!!
So to answer your question. . Think it might be worth sticking a pole up as high as you can. And give it a go.. but I'm going to give it a go, but I'm fourth over than you. So the hill is more of a problem :grr:

DaveG

Post by DaveG » Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:28 pm

From Davidstow to me if I include curve of earth, its a little worse, lol (me right, left Davidstow)
Cornwall, near EGDR

Return to “RNAS Culdrose & Predannack”