Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Very low flying Sea King - any I.D. please?

Please post movements and activities for RNAS Culdrose and Predannack here
Aircraftpaulcornwall

Very low flying Sea King - any I.D. please?

Post by Aircraftpaulcornwall » Thu Sep 11, 2014 7:55 pm

Hi all,
Last night, timed at 0305 B.S.T. (0205Z) a very low flying Sea King woke both my wife and me up - she was scared stiff that it was going to hit the house!! :O - I said - 'don't worry, athough it's low, they definitely know their height and it probably hopefully wont take our roof off' - (although admittedly, (at night especially) I was MOST worried that it may just clip or strike the electricity pylons/cables over across the way to our north-east). With the engine noise, my estimate was that it was at an altitude of 500ft above our house (and possibly even below that).
This helo was moving roughly SE/NW and was very loud and it returned at about 0425 B.S.T. (0325Z) moving roughly N/S but I would estimate at a slightly higher altitude. Does anyone have any idea whether it was Rescue 192/193 or whatever? - Or was it perhaps a 'bagger' on a very late patrol!!?? (an ASAC Sea King was up earlier that evening it seems) - a look at my friend's transponder 'box' on here confirms this.
Many thanks --Paul :thumb:
Last edited by Aircraftpaulcornwall on Thu Sep 11, 2014 8:37 pm, edited 4 times in total.

wally1986

Re: Very low flying Sea King - any I.D. please?

Post by wally1986 » Thu Sep 11, 2014 8:03 pm

hhhmmm its been interesting since the summit... weather this is a coincidence or what but there has been a few interesting things within the last week. sory i cant ID this mate but very intresting!! :thumb:
Graham

Aircraftpaulcornwall

Post by Aircraftpaulcornwall » Thu Sep 11, 2014 8:17 pm

Hi wally1986,
Yes, thank you for that - it is CU night-flying night tonight - it will be interesting to see if there is anything around later on! --Paul :thumb:

buzzer

Post by buzzer » Thu Sep 11, 2014 8:24 pm

Aircraftpaulcornwall wrote:Hi wally1986,
Yes, thank you for that - it is CU night-flying night tonight - it will be interesting to see if there is anything around later on! --Paul :thumb:
Paul.. CU night fly on most evening when the weather is suitable. Very rear on weekends, but not unheard of ;)

Aircraftpaulcornwall

Post by Aircraftpaulcornwall » Thu Sep 11, 2014 8:32 pm

Hi buzzer,
Yes, many thanks mate - night flying used to be regularly on Tuesday & Thursday nights only, but not necessarily so nowadays it seems!
I have noted that often an odd Merlin is up and about even on Saturday mornings - this never used to be the case - I suppose that they have to try to get their
flying hours in!! --Paul :thumb:

Nick.M

Post by Nick.M » Thu Sep 11, 2014 8:40 pm

wally1986

Post by wally1986 » Thu Sep 11, 2014 8:46 pm

did anyone get the herc yesterday it did a couple of touch and go's the went out towards the scillies.
Graham

Aircraftpaulcornwall

Post by Aircraftpaulcornwall » Thu Sep 11, 2014 8:57 pm

Hi Nick M,
Many thanks for this - I have checked out your reference and they would be using Zulu time - that would tie in with what we observed (we nearly jumped out of our beds!!) :Wow:
It is such a shame that in 2016 or so, our CU 771 Sqn will be no more, - to be replaced by some private companies helos. I sincerely hope that the service will be just as good, but I am not totally convinced by this assumption!! --Paul ;)

buzzer

Post by buzzer » Thu Sep 11, 2014 8:59 pm

wally1986 wrote:did anyone get the herc yesterday it did a couple of touch and go's the went out towards the scillies.
Noted here Graham viewtopic.php?f=27&t=103707

Aircraftpaulcornwall

Post by Aircraftpaulcornwall » Thu Sep 11, 2014 9:02 pm

Hi wally1986,
Thank you for this mate - I seem to remember that Red Hound reported this Herc - unfortunately nothing at all heard around here though!! --Paul :huh:

wally1986

Post by wally1986 » Thu Sep 11, 2014 9:14 pm

thanx pete. looks like no one got a pic?
Graham

Buz41

Post by Buz41 » Fri Sep 12, 2014 7:20 am

It is not unheard off for Merlins to fly on Sundays. MDMF is operated by contractors so they will fly at weekends if they are catching up on air testing.
As for night flying on Tuesdays, I can remember 20 plus Firefly, Seafury & TMB Avenger in the circuit well into the early hours of Wednesday. The Avengers were particularly noisy so can you imagine the complaints CU would receive today?

Bus 41

Aircraftpaulcornwall

Post by Aircraftpaulcornwall » Fri Sep 12, 2014 9:21 pm

Hi Buz41,
Thanks for that - it's very interesting to see how it has all changed as the years have gone by! --Paul :thumb:

Return to “RNAS Culdrose & Predannack”