Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

RNAS Yeovilton - What is Your View on the 2013 Air Day?.

Post information relating to Yeovilton airshow here.
airtyphoon

RNAS Yeovilton - What is Your View on the 2013 Air Day?.

Post by airtyphoon » Sat Jul 13, 2013 6:14 pm

My Review

Photocall - It Was a Bad Start to the Day Being Let in Thirty Minutes Late and Missing the Belgian Herc's Arrival, The Photocall itself Was Great even if i Couldn't See Some of the Aircraft so i Had to Use a Chair a Couple of Times, The Static Looked Impressive, I Thought The Barriers Were Very Tight to The Aircraft This Year.

Getting Out of the Photocall Was Just as Bad they Said they Wanted us Clear of the Base by 20:30 But Didn't Open The Gate Until 20:00.

Air Day - Traffic Getting in and Out Was Well Organised, Couldn't Find any of the Water Bowser's They Said there Were on Site,Brilliant Flying Displays, Very Nice to Chat with Jamie Norris about his Routine and He Even Had Time to Have a Photo Taken with Me As Well, And Well It Was Like Flare City Today Most Displays Giving there Piece to Win the Best Flared Aircraft.

Couple of Improvements To Note.
- Barrier To Close to The Aircraft Even 18mm Was Struggling to Not Have a Railing in the Way.
- More Organised at Entry Points in the Morning, The FAAM Car-park Was Like a Free For All.

All in All Great Two Day's cant Wait Until 2014.

airtyphoon
Last edited by airtyphoon on Sat Jul 13, 2013 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nathan From Trowbridge.
My Flickr - http://www.flickr.com/photos/97920039@N05/

Thumper

Re: RNAS Yeovilton - What is Your View on the 2013 Air Day?.

Post by Thumper » Sat Jul 13, 2013 7:05 pm

Am I allowed to post a Photocall review because I attended and paid for that but had to work today so didn't make show day?!

airtyphoon

Post by airtyphoon » Sat Jul 13, 2013 7:07 pm

Thumper wrote:Am I allowed to post a Photocall review because I attended and paid for that but had to work today so didn't make show day?!
Yeah, Go Ahead.

airtyphoon
Nathan From Trowbridge.

somerset

Post by somerset » Sat Jul 13, 2013 7:09 pm

HOT HOT HOT HOT HOT HOT HOT :thumb:

formernumber9

Post by formernumber9 » Sat Jul 13, 2013 7:15 pm

Well organised ! Traffic no problem!

VERY hot (lots of medical attention seemed to be going on)

Great flying display. Star of the flying for me was that tent.

MRTT

Post by MRTT » Sat Jul 13, 2013 7:30 pm

Deleted.
Last edited by MRTT on Wed Jan 01, 2020 3:07 am, edited 2 times in total.

lynnallen

Post by lynnallen » Sat Jul 13, 2013 7:38 pm

Well organised, no problems getting in or out. Major problem was the heat - too hot for me to view in comfort. Great displays. Pity the Sea Vixen couldn't have done a couple more fly pasts before landing though. I've seen a few negative comments (elsewhere) about the Vulcan but the display was better than when I last saw it. A few fantastic howls which is good enough for me !

GVLCN

Post by GVLCN » Sat Jul 13, 2013 8:15 pm

Simply fantastic, foreign participation a bit thin on ground is the only downside in my opinion. Had a great day, good photo opportunities. Best part of the day was being ultra close to a live taxiing vulcan and sea vixen :thumbs: :thumbs:

Stug

Post by Stug » Sat Jul 13, 2013 8:28 pm

Lovely and hot. Wish I had more water, suprised there were no water bowsers or standpipes. I got in late, traffic all the way from Taunton horrendous (should have gone through Langport?), my fault for setting off late I guess! As a result missed the Reds and Chinook and only got in 1/2 way through Spit display (really wanted to see Buchon/Spit together). Anyway star for me was Gripen, how a jet should be flown. Superb heli displays, never new an A109 was so agile. Vulcan a bit tame, I'm sure I've heard Team Twister make more noise! But I'm spoilt remembering VDF displays of old. Finally I thought the Saab2000 display was good, good to see something different.
Couple of other things, did I see people down the 27 end? also who was flying a UAV/FPV thingy from the Eastern end of the enclosure?

Thumper

Post by Thumper » Sat Jul 13, 2013 9:07 pm

Thank you for letting me join in :thumbs:

Photocall Review:

I arrived just after 8am, there were only 30 cars in the holding car park. Gates opened to drive onto the airfield at 9am but ironically we were still in the holding car park at 9:30 as we were waiting for the Belgian Herc to arrive. Gran Turismo began shortly after 9:30am when the gates opened and there was no-one directing the traffic so it was a free for all. Everyone that arrived early and parked up were stuck due to impatient people with no manners arriving late, tearing up the dirt track and blocking us all in while they got onto the base first. I witnessed some very aggressive driving and I wasn't let out for 15 minutes. Disgusting behaviour by fellow enthusiasts. Due to me being one of the first I was now one of the last on base and ALL the frontline in the enclosure was occupied.

The VC-10 arrived 3 hours early and I got this cracking photo thanks to the utter %^&*("£$ stood ontop of chairs.

This chair climbing continued ALL DAY despite complaints from many. Those of us stuck behind the 10ft tall people exited the enclosure and stood on the show day crowdline to get shots but were swiftly moved on :S

Water was £1 for a small bottle, I spent £10 on water alone. There was no free water for the Photocall.

The majority of arrivals landed on 09 which was a mile away from the enclosure and the aircraft turned off a long way before the enclosure so no arrivals shots for me (VC-10 excluded) even though I had a 100-400 lens!

The practice displays were brilliant and I appreciated the play the Typhoon had before coming in.

For me the day was saved by meeting a bunch of great people on here and UKAR, the banter made the long waits go quickly and we all had a good laugh and made the most of it. The sun got the better of me by 5:30 so I left but I heard getting out was just as much of a farce as getting in.

Would I do it again? Yes (from an undisclosed location though) :ninja:

Mike

Post by Mike » Sat Jul 13, 2013 9:21 pm

Good God !!

What a load of whinging gits, do you know how lucky you are to have any air shows at all ?

You are absolutely spoilt for choice in England but you moan about everything - in Scotland we will have the very last Leuchars air show in September and after that there's nothing really.

"Couldn't Find any of the Water Bowser's They Said they Were on Site", what a shame - take your own water if it's going to be a hot day for God's sake. :roll:

Stop moaning please. :roll:

Mike

Post by Mike » Sat Jul 13, 2013 9:38 pm

...........and not to mention waddo607's post.............isn't it strange that it is all spelt and narrated perfectly all of a sudden, not like the gibberish we had to suffer last weekend.................... :whistle:

iain s

Post by iain s » Sat Jul 13, 2013 9:41 pm

Mike wrote:Good God !!

What a load of whinging gits, do you know how lucky you are to have any air shows at all ?

You are absolutely spoilt for choice in England but you moan about everything - in Scotland we will have the very last Leuchars air show in September and after that there's nothing really.

"Couldn't Find any of the Water Bowser's They Said they Were on Site", what a shame - take your own water if it's going to be a hot day for God's sake. :roll:

:thumb: :clap: :thumb:

sherriff

Post by sherriff » Sat Jul 13, 2013 10:06 pm

Moaning about moaners - eh ? Good one ! :lol:

airtyphoon

Post by airtyphoon » Sat Jul 13, 2013 10:09 pm

Mike, I Took 6 Litres of Water With Me, I'm Not Moaning, Hopefully A Couple More Shows Will Start up in Scotland For You Soon.

Like i Said Earlier its Best Airshow I've Attended In the Last Couple of Years.

airtyphoon
Nathan From Trowbridge.

lmgaylard

Post by lmgaylard » Sun Jul 14, 2013 12:23 am

Forgive me if I am incorrect but, I'm sure the title of this thread is to give your opinion of the air day?

As far as I know everyone on this forum is entitled to THEIR opinion, good or bad (but who should judge if it is good or bad).

If you don't like what is said then fair enough, but please, do not criticise others for giving their opinion, after all, that's the idea of this.......... :D
'its a lot less bover in the hover'

2e1var

Post by 2e1var » Sun Jul 14, 2013 5:24 am

Having being there myself I would describe the feedback as accurate and well balanced.
UBC-15X, 800XLT, 3500XLT, VT-225, Airspy R2/Mini/SDR#, RSP1A/SDR Uno

UK Radio Scanners Facebook Group - https://www.facebook.com/groups/1451306941772699

GVLCN

Post by GVLCN » Sun Jul 14, 2013 6:54 pm

Totally agree with the guy above was an awesome airshow, good value for money and some good photo opportunities what more can you ask for??? Not bad for £20 a ticket! :clap: :clap: :clap:

astra

Post by astra » Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:53 am

We had a great Airshow Day, lovely weather although we started to flag towards the end as we ran out of water to drink, we then got some more water from First Aid Tent and refreshed ourselves ready for the excellent Finale, i didnt expect such a great ending-Brilliant Day out

Supra

Post by Supra » Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:31 am

You are absolutely spoilt for choice in England but you moan about everything - in Scotland we will have the very last Leuchars air show in September and after that there's nothing really. (Edited)

:roll:
Yep!...We're lucky to have Airshows in the UK at all. Look at the paltry offerings in the wonderful US of A, since the Forces support was withdrawn. I personally have never done a Yeovilton Photocall (even when they had quality aircraft!) because it didn't/doesn't deliver at any level. Those of you 'new' to this must now surely realise, that the only way to stop this annual peak in suicide rates is NOT to support the draconian rip-off. If I can't go to a well situated, full facilities paying location for the Arrivals, then I make alternative arrangements. If those are thwarted (sheep field,,oh nuts..they're on 09!!)...then I stay away completely.
You have to make your luck, don't expect to be spoon-fed exactly what you want. For those in Scotland that means getting off your arse & driving South to avail yourself that which you crave... just like when we come to Leuchars/ Lossie for Exercises etc. We even drive/fly to Austria, Hungary ,Poland & Switzerland if the opportunities demand it.
You can't expect the financial climate to provide 'entertainment' on your doorstep, especially with the chance of "ISAF" (Independent Scottish Air Force) coming soon? Not only will you have 'No Airshows'...but only a Grob with Sidewinders!!
PS:- Arrivals/ Photocall at VL. was pants as expected! (anecdotal evidence only). Air-Day was brilliant!! (as witnessed first-hand) Hey!!...that's just my opinion. When I want your opinion,I will give it to you.

Return to “Yeovilton”