Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

RNAS Yeovilton Air Day 2013

Post information relating to Yeovilton airshow here.
airtyphoon
Posts: 734
Joined: Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:50 pm
Location: Trowbridge, Wiltshire

Re: RNAS Yeovilton Air Day 2013

Post by airtyphoon » Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:14 pm

Hey! Thanks for your reply!

I am only going on the day and I want to get my settings just right. I have been trying out that shutter speed but on a moving object it keeps blurring! Maybe I am doing something wrong. You too, have a good one.
I Will, Thanks

airtyphoon
Nathan From Trowbridge.
My Flickr - http://www.flickr.com/photos/97920039@N05/

User avatar
Thumper
Posts: 87
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:51 am
Location: Dorset Valley

Re: RNAS Yeovilton Air Day 2013

Post by Thumper » Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:59 pm

girlmanu27 wrote:It sounds like it is going to be a great airshow!!

I was just wondering if you could help me, it is the first airshow with my canon 400d. What is the best shutter speed to use and any other settings. I don't really want to muck up on the first display

Thanks :D
Start at the top and work your way down with regards to shutter speeds. With helicopters and props I would personally be using 1/320 as this will give you a nice sharp body and some rotor/prop blur.

What ISO are you shooting at? In weather like the moment (bright sun, clear blue sky) you want to be at ISO 100.

More info needed, are you using Auto white balance? What have you got set for metering? What lens are you using?

Unfortunately you cannot take these numbers, turn up at an airshow and immediately start shooting sharp photographs. Take it from someone that knows it took me 3 YEARS of airshows to get shots I am happy with and even now I am an amateur and despite taking around 700 shots at a show I'll only be happy with a dozen or so. It's really all about practice. If you have an airfield near you then get down there and start shooting. Doesn't matter if it isn't military, I learnt by visiting my local civi airfield almost every single day on my lunch breaks. Take a notepad and write down what settings you are using and then change them very slightly on your next trip out until you find a "sweet spot" but don't forget that no 2 days are the same and weather will change your settings. Don't change settings too quickly either it takes time to feel how your camera is working especially at slower speeds and panning.

If you need anymore info or help feel free to rattle me off a PM. I'm not a pro but I'll help where I can.

airtyphoon
Posts: 734
Joined: Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:50 pm
Location: Trowbridge, Wiltshire

Re: RNAS Yeovilton Air Day 2013

Post by airtyphoon » Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:34 pm

Thumper wrote:
girlmanu27 wrote:It sounds like it is going to be a great airshow!!

I was just wondering if you could help me, it is the first airshow with my canon 400d. What is the best shutter speed to use and any other settings. I don't really want to muck up on the first display

Thanks :D
Start at the top and work your way down with regards to shutter speeds. With helicopters and props I would personally be using 1/320 as this will give you a nice sharp body and some rotor/prop blur.

What ISO are you shooting at? In weather like the moment (bright sun, clear blue sky) you want to be at ISO 100.

More info needed, are you using Auto white balance? What have you got set for metering? What lens are you using?

Unfortunately you cannot take these numbers, turn up at an airshow and immediately start shooting sharp photographs. Take it from someone that knows it took me 3 YEARS of airshows to get shots I am happy with and even now I am an amateur and despite taking around 700 shots at a show I'll only be happy with a dozen or so. It's really all about practice. If you have an airfield near you then get down there and start shooting. Doesn't matter if it isn't military, I learnt by visiting my local civi airfield almost every single day on my lunch breaks. Take a notepad and write down what settings you are using and then change them very slightly on your next trip out until you find a "sweet spot" but don't forget that no 2 days are the same and weather will change your settings. Don't change settings too quickly either it takes time to feel how your camera is working especially at slower speeds and panning.

If you need anymore info or help feel free to rattle me off a PM. I'm not a pro but I'll help where I can.
Thumper, I Know the Feeling, I Took 100 At RNAS Yeovilton Today and only 20-30 im Happy With.

airtyphoon
Nathan From Trowbridge.
My Flickr - http://www.flickr.com/photos/97920039@N05/

User avatar
bizfreeq
Posts: 2086
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2011 8:08 pm
Location: Bournemouth UK

Re: RNAS Yeovilton Air Day 2013

Post by bizfreeq » Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:08 pm

waddo607 wrote:The Reds are not operating from Yeovilton next Saturday and are displaying at 1140am :P
Reds schedule this weekend:

Friday - 12 July
0900hrs - Take off RAF Scampton
0934hrs - Land Bournemouth
1148hrs - Take off Bournemouth
1200hrs - Display Goodwood
1232hrs - Land Bournemouth
Saturday - 13 July
1048hrs - Take off Bournemouth
1100hrs - Display Yeovilton
1128hrs - Land Bournemouth
1342hrs - Take off Bournemouth
1357hrs - Flypast RAF Odiham
1414hrs - Land Cardiff
1625hrs - Take off Cardiff
1640hrs - Display Swansea
1707hrs - Land Cardiff
Sunday - 14 July
1145hrs - Take off Cardiff
1200hrs - Display Swansea
1227hrs - Land Cardiff
1450hrs - Take off Cardiff
1505hrs - Land Bournemouth
1748hrs - Land Bournemouth
1800hrs - Display Goodwood
1832hrs - Land Bournemouth
Monday - 15 July
1125hrs - Take off Bournemouth
Cheers
Mark



If our airforces are never used, they have achieved their finest goal.
— General Nathan F. Twining

airtyphoon
Posts: 734
Joined: Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:50 pm
Location: Trowbridge, Wiltshire

Re: RNAS Yeovilton Air Day 2013

Post by airtyphoon » Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:10 pm

When Arrivals Start - I Have opened a Thread to Keep all Arrivals in One Place.

viewtopic.php?f=339&t=82926

airtyphoon
Nathan From Trowbridge.
My Flickr - http://www.flickr.com/photos/97920039@N05/

airtyphoon
Posts: 734
Joined: Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:50 pm
Location: Trowbridge, Wiltshire

Re: RNAS Yeovilton Air Day 2013

Post by airtyphoon » Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:29 pm

FAAM Have Posted on there Facebook that on Air Day there Restoration hangar Will Be Open for People to View.

airtyphoon
Nathan From Trowbridge.
My Flickr - http://www.flickr.com/photos/97920039@N05/

airtyphoon
Posts: 734
Joined: Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:50 pm
Location: Trowbridge, Wiltshire

Re: RNAS Yeovilton Air Day 2013

Post by airtyphoon » Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:46 pm

Itv Westcountry Press Preview - http://vimeo.com/69993520#at=0

airtyphoon
Nathan From Trowbridge.
My Flickr - http://www.flickr.com/photos/97920039@N05/

User avatar
Hurn
Posts: 1104
Joined: Sun Jul 18, 2010 9:30 am

Re: RNAS Yeovilton Air Day 2013

Post by Hurn » Wed Jul 10, 2013 5:17 pm

I posted in the Sea Vixen thread but in case you missed it, it's been confirmed from one of the engineers that despite what facebook says the Vixen is STATIC only at Yeovilton.

airtyphoon
Posts: 734
Joined: Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:50 pm
Location: Trowbridge, Wiltshire

Re: RNAS Yeovilton Air Day 2013

Post by airtyphoon » Wed Jul 10, 2013 5:42 pm

Hurn wrote:I posted in the Sea Vixen thread but in case you missed it, it's been confirmed from one of the engineers that despite what facebook says the Vixen is STATIC only at Yeovilton.
Thanks Hurn Good to Know, Although The Facebook Page Didn't say What Kind Of Display, Static or Flying but Having the Vixen in Static Still Means we Will See it Arrive on Friday.

airtyphoon
Nathan From Trowbridge.
My Flickr - http://www.flickr.com/photos/97920039@N05/

User avatar
seven
Posts: 2179
Joined: Mon Jul 12, 2010 7:37 pm

Re: RNAS Yeovilton Air Day 2013

Post by seven » Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:05 pm

I wouldnt bank on it. Its display practices will be at Yeovilton so i would imagine it will be deploying there earlier than friday..
#KeepFightingMichael

User avatar
Hurn
Posts: 1104
Joined: Sun Jul 18, 2010 9:30 am

Re: RNAS Yeovilton Air Day 2013

Post by Hurn » Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:16 pm

airtyphoon wrote:Thanks Hurn Good to Know, Although The Facebook Page Didn't say What Kind Of Display,
No, but I'll wager a lot of people would have taken it to mean a flying display.
seven wrote:I wouldnt bank on it. Its display practices will be at Yeovilton so i would imagine it will be deploying there earlier than friday..
DS Aviation have said the next flight is Friday to Yeovilton so unless something changes in the meantime, that's when it'll be flying in. All being well the display practices and authorisation should take place next week.
I imagine Culdrose will probably be the first official display. :thumb:

airtyphoon
Posts: 734
Joined: Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:50 pm
Location: Trowbridge, Wiltshire

Re: RNAS Yeovilton Air Day 2013

Post by airtyphoon » Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:47 pm

Hurn wrote:airtyphoon wrote:
Thanks Hurn Good to Know, Although The Facebook Page Didn't say What Kind Of Display,

No, but I'll wager a lot of people would have taken it to mean a flying display.
That's True, Visiting The FAAM Tomorrow To See if There are Any Arrivals or If The Jordanian Falcons Do a Rehearsal, I Always Go Expecting Nothing then if You See Something its a Bonus.

See you all Friday, Hope to Put some Names to Faces.

airtyphoon
Nathan From Trowbridge.
My Flickr - http://www.flickr.com/photos/97920039@N05/

User avatar
seven
Posts: 2179
Joined: Mon Jul 12, 2010 7:37 pm

Re: RNAS Yeovilton Air Day 2013

Post by seven » Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:54 pm

I hope your right for all your sakes, if XP924 doesnt turn up you'll be under thumper's wrath!
#KeepFightingMichael

User avatar
Thumper
Posts: 87
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:51 am
Location: Dorset Valley

Re: RNAS Yeovilton Air Day 2013

Post by Thumper » Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:09 pm

Oi! I resemble that remark! :blush:

Someone on UKAR (not sure if they're on here too) is reporting an easterly wind for Friday, I guess this would mean 09 would be used for arrivals? That could be a real bummer!!

airtyphoon
Posts: 734
Joined: Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:50 pm
Location: Trowbridge, Wiltshire

Re: RNAS Yeovilton Air Day 2013

Post by airtyphoon » Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:19 pm

Thumper wrote:Oi! I resemble that remark! :blush:

Someone on UKAR (not sure if they're on here too) is reporting an easterly wind for Friday, I guess this would mean 09 would be used for arrivals? That could be a real bummer!!
It Would be Bad, But the Display Rehearsal Take-offs Will Be Towards us Providing Some Unique Pictures Compared to the Saturday when i Believe at the Wind Direction is Changing to Allow 27 To be Used.

See You Friday.

airtyphoon
Nathan From Trowbridge.
My Flickr - http://www.flickr.com/photos/97920039@N05/

User avatar
krustydave
Posts: 106
Joined: Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:08 pm
Location: Yeovil, UK

Re: RNAS Yeovilton Air Day 2013

Post by krustydave » Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:59 am

Thumper wrote:Oi! I resemble that remark! :blush:

Someone on UKAR (not sure if they're on here too) is reporting an easterly wind for Friday, I guess this would mean 09 would be used for arrivals? That could be a real bummer!!
That would have been me possibly!,
Met office still showing ENE to NE winds tomorrow though the speeds are very low, no gusts and steady at between 6-8 mph
so if we're lucky some of the stuff in the south dispersal doing PDs won't bother with taxiing to the other end of the airfield and might indeed use 27as the f-16 did during its PD on tuesday, though any of the smaller or older things will probably still use 09, and many of the plain arrivals will probably use 09 too.
Nikon D3100
70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G AF-S VR Zoom-Nikkor
18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G AF-S VR DX Zoom-Nikkor
150-500mm Sigma f/5-6.3 APO DG OS HSM

User avatar
Thumper
Posts: 87
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:51 am
Location: Dorset Valley

Re: RNAS Yeovilton Air Day 2013

Post by Thumper » Thu Jul 11, 2013 5:14 pm

Ah ha, indeed it was you, thanks! That is a real grrrrr about the wind though!! Hopefully, as you say, we'll catch some stuff using 27 but I guess most will be using 09 like the Vulcan did on Monday. I really hope the wind changes (unlikely) as I was so looking forward to getting shots of the VC-10 :'(

User avatar
Hurn
Posts: 1104
Joined: Sun Jul 18, 2010 9:30 am

Re: RNAS Yeovilton Air Day 2013

Post by Hurn » Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:51 pm

PK of DS Aviation has stated that the Vixen will now not be flying on Friday, but will be flying to Yeovilton on SATURDAY instead, ETD from B/mth 14.30.

User avatar
Thumper
Posts: 87
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:51 am
Location: Dorset Valley

Re: RNAS Yeovilton Air Day 2013

Post by Thumper » Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:22 pm

I can't keep up with the Sea Vixen's movements this week it's all been a bit of a mess so I guess if Foxy's FBook is right, she'll flypast Friday, if it's wrong then it'll be Saturday. If the pilot gets stuck in traffic it'll be Sunday, if the plane goes tech it'll be Monday. Dontcha just love aircraft :P

GVLCN
Posts: 744
Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2012 5:15 pm
Location: cardiff

Re: RNAS Yeovilton Air Day 2013

Post by GVLCN » Fri Jul 12, 2013 5:27 pm

Anyone know when the Vulcan is due up tomorrow?

Post Reply

Return to “Yeovilton”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests