Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Is it just me?...

Post information relating to Yeovilton airshow here.
NotPennysBoat

Is it just me?...

Post by NotPennysBoat » Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:07 pm

Was it just me or was Yeovilton Air Day 2014 a bit of a disappointment? In total I believe there was 17 missing aircraft, some last minute changes and sometimes the commentator didn't have a clue what was going on. I'll have to admit it was a decent turnout and appeared to be relatively busy. However, with large gaps between air displays, sometimes up to ten minutes, the lack of fast jets and the lack of The Red Arrows, not to mention the fairly mediocre assault at the end, I can't help but feel it wasn't as good as it used to be a few years back.

Maybe the 2015 break will give them time to come up with something special! :roll:
Check out some of my photos here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/125361123 ... 711095037/

Canon 5D Mark III | Canon 7D Mark II | DJI Phantom 4

Molitor5901

Re: Is it just me?...

Post by Molitor5901 » Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:22 pm

I haven't been to Yeovilton Air day for some years, but after Waddington and RIAT, this was a very poor 3rd!

We were in situ just in time for the Flying programme, (after the 1045 rewrite!), but noticed the hordes starting to leave after XH558 had landed...

If it wasn't for the relentless heat, (not Yeo's fault I know!) we may have stayed to the end, but we upped sticks at 1515, and watched the BBMF display whilst walking back to the the car park...full marks to the guys handing out the water at the gate...I don't know how I would have made it back to the car without it!

In short, too many changes/cancellations, made the published flying programme a nonsense.. far too far from car park to flight line,.too many gaps, too hot!

Not sure I will make the effort next time, if there is one!
Canon EOS 300D. 20D,50D,7D, Canon 10-18mm STM, Canon 18-55mm IS, 55-250mm IS, 18-200mm IS, 70-300mm IS USM

Malcolm

Post by Malcolm » Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:50 pm

The checklist reveals why the Commando assault was "poor". Only 11 Junglies on base - 4 of which were in bits in the back of H4, and another in H5. So of the 6 available, 5 were on the flightline and one in static.

In the past, the transition from Wx5 to Sk4 was done one squadron at a time, so there was no real reduction in aircraft available. However the transition from Sk4 to Merlin3 seems to be being done by junking all the Sk4's before any of the squadrons are ready to stand up on the Merlin.

Hopefully as Merlin comes in and commitments abroad reduce then the Jungley assault can regain some of it's previous impact. I remember the 70's and 80's when there would be 20 odd Wx5's in the assult. We're unlikley to get back to thos numbers, but double figures would be good.

airtyphoon

Post by airtyphoon » Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:05 pm

This Years Yeovilton was Actually not Bad, it had Unique Items in the Flying - Lynx Maritime Assault and Commando Assault and Static had some very Rare Aircraft - Italian HH-101, only 2 HH-101's are in Existence and the Only UK Show this Year to have French Navy Participation.

Yes the Commando Assault wasn't up to last years Standard but people forget that only One Squadron are operating the Sea King now Before its OSD, Merlin's Will start to Arrive in the Spring, Commando Assaults in the Future Hopefully will Consist of Merlin HC4/4A, Wildcat AH1, Hawk T1 AND F-35B Lightning II.

Cancellations are always an issue but is Outside of the Organisers Control.

Yeovilton is Always Special.

The Next Air Day is TBC

airtyphoon
Nathan From Trowbridge.
My Flickr - http://www.flickr.com/photos/97920039@N05/

Tornadochaser

Post by Tornadochaser » Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:00 pm

Not the moaning type, But no it wasn't just you!

space monkey

Post by space monkey » Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:57 pm

airtyphoon wrote:This Years Yeovilton was Actually not Bad, it had Unique Items in the Flying - Lynx Maritime Assault and Commando Assault and Static had some very Rare Aircraft - Italian HH-101, only 2 HH-101's are in Existence and the Only UK Show this Year to have French Navy Participation.

Yes the Commando Assault wasn't up to last years Standard but people forget that only One Squadron are operating the Sea King now Before its OSD, Merlin's Will start to Arrive in the Spring, Commando Assaults in the Future Hopefully will Consist of Merlin HC4/4A, Wildcat AH1, Hawk T1 AND F-35B Lightning II.

Cancellations are always an issue but is Outside of the Organisers Control.

Yeovilton is Always Special.

The Next Air Day is TBC

airtyphoon
I think this post hit the nail on the head, the Armed forces are all in the middle of a transitional period. Hopefully they'll be plenty of fast jets and helicopters in a few years time.

NotPennysBoat

Post by NotPennysBoat » Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:55 am

Is Waddington a good one to go to then is it?

Also, I get that they're going through a phase were the assault at the end will not be as good, but I didn't even go to Yeovilton Air Day to see it! I went for the flying displays, and purely that alone. The gaps and missing aircraft were disappointing but didn't ruin the day! However, it would be nice to see a bit more variety, seems to be the same aircraft every year. I know we can't compare Yeovilton to Fairford, but the range of aircraft Fairford displayed this year was spectacular.

I hope Yeovilton Air Day can get back it's former glory and make me want to go once again, until then...

I'm visiting California from August until November, so I will be visiting San Diego to see the MCAS Miramar Air Show in October. Honestly, it looks fantastic, F-35, Osprey, HARRIERS! Looking forward to it, it'll be good to see how it fairs against UK airshows.

I know one things for sure, it's a lot cheaper! £17 for premium reserved box seat, WITH programme!
Check out some of my photos here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/125361123 ... 711095037/

Malcolm

Post by Malcolm » Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:42 am

NotPennysBoat wrote:I'm visiting California from August until November, so I will be visiting San Diego to see the MCAS Miramar Air Show in October. Honestly, it looks fantastic, F-35, Osprey, HARRIERS! Looking forward to it, it'll be good to see how it fairs against UK airshows.
I think you're comparing apples and pears.

If I go to Yeovilton I want to see Sea Kings, Wildcats, Lynx's and other stuff operated by the Navy. It's rare for there to ever be more than 3 or 4 foreign military acts at the show these days. You can usually bank on a Belgian or Dutch F-16 display turning up for the opening of a packet of crisps. This year we had French Navy Rafales and Fa10 , German Navy P3, Polish Navy An28 in static, and Swiss F-18, plus Belgian and Danish trainer display teams in the flying. Every Navy Sea King, Wildcat and Lynx on base was visible. That's about as good as it's been since the early 80's. Ok the Army were a bit shy- perhaps next year. Sure a Chinook, Typhoon or Tonka display would have improved things but the RAF decided they had other priorities.

If you go to Mirimar, you expect to see USMC V-22's, C-130's, UH-1's , CH53's etc, because thats what's based there. You won't see much non US though - perhaps some Canadian, and maybe some RAF (if they're still at China Lake or Red Flag). The only USAF display this year is F-22, so you're unlilkey to see F-15, F-16, A-10, B-1, B52 flying.

Many US shows hide away most of their aircraft and just pull one or two of each type into static. I've been to many shows over there where security get a bit jumpy when you try to get near hangars and ramps full of parked aircraft. Thankfully, Yeovilton usually open up most of their hangars, so for spotters it's a must do show.

gibson617

Post by gibson617 » Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:30 am

I went to Yeovilton air day for the first time for years and had a really enjoyable day . Unfortunately , cancellations were beyond organisers control and I was disappointed to not see the Sea Vixen and Canberra but these things happen . Old aircraft sometimes have technical issues and our armed forces are doing their best with ever limited resources . In comparison to Farnborough last week this show was far superior in every respect and I shall definitely go again . The static was well laid out and varied , the flying may have had some gaps but was still good and the staff on site friendly and helpful . What more could you want from a day out ?
Canon EOS 550D
Canon EFS 18-135 f3.5/-5.6 IS
Canon EF 70-300 f4-5.6 IS USM
Canon EOS 7D Mk 2
Canon EF 100-400 f4.5-5.6 L IS USM Mk 2

razor23uk

Post by razor23uk » Tue Jul 29, 2014 5:31 pm

Sorry, but I was underwhelmed as well this year. Dreadfull comentary to start with....what a difference when Mr Vulcan took to the mike. It just seemed to cough and splutter along with very little out of the ordinary in the sky. I like to see a Lynx or Wildcat do its stuff, but 3 or 4 times in a show is more than enough for me. If it wasn't for the F18,F16, Miss Demeaner and the Vulcan (which is getting less and less of a display each year now for the poor old girl) I am sure I would of walked back to the caravan and watched the show from there!.....A tease from the Typhoon and a tech Chinook were also a let down but hey ho, thats machines for you!
Will I be there next year?...probably as its a nice 3 days away in the camp site for us.
Scanning daily. 3500xlt with antenna 90ft up a silo.

NotPennysBoat

Post by NotPennysBoat » Tue Jul 29, 2014 6:56 pm

gibson617 wrote:I went to Yeovilton air day for the first time for years and had a really enjoyable day . Unfortunately , cancellations were beyond organisers control and I was disappointed to not see the Sea Vixen and Canberra but these things happen . Old aircraft sometimes have technical issues and our armed forces are doing their best with ever limited resources . In comparison to Farnborough last week this show was far superior in every respect and I shall definitely go again . The static was well laid out and varied , the flying may have had some gaps but was still good and the staff on site friendly and helpful . What more could you want from a day out ?
If Yeovilton was better than Farnborough, I dread to think how bad Farnborough was! It's all down to personal opinion, but for me, Yeovilton just didn't quite cut it this year, oh well!

razor23uk wrote:Sorry, but I was underwhelmed as well this year. Dreadfull comentary to start with....what a difference when Mr Vulcan took to the mike. It just seemed to cough and splutter along with very little out of the ordinary in the sky. I like to see a Lynx or Wildcat do its stuff, but 3 or 4 times in a show is more than enough for me. If it wasn't for the F18,F16, Miss Demeaner and the Vulcan (which is getting less and less of a display each year now for the poor old girl) I am sure I would of walked back to the caravan and watched the show from there!.....A tease from the Typhoon and a tech Chinook were also a let down but hey ho, thats machines for you!
Will I be there next year?...probably as its a nice 3 days away in the camp site for us.
Let's pray for 2016! And if not there's always Fairford ;)

Return to “Yeovilton”