Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Duxford D-Day Anniversary Show - 24/25May14

Post information relating to any Duxford show here.
nala

Re: Duxford D-Day Anniversary Show - 24/25May14

Post by nala » Sat May 24, 2014 10:02 am

it looks like the naughty field has been fenced of 7feet high fence

Gary
Administrator

Post by Gary » Sat May 24, 2014 12:37 pm

Apparently there is security at each end of Grange Road stopping people going down :lol:
Posh BSM Trophy winners 2024

MRTT

Post by MRTT » Sat May 24, 2014 1:58 pm

There is a live twitter feed being run by Nigel Price on twitter.

Viper28

Post by Viper28 » Sat May 24, 2014 6:07 pm

Gary wrote:Apparently there is security at each end of Grange Road stopping people going down :lol:
Correct there is security at both ends of Grange Road this year who are actively stopping people going down the road (on foot, car, bike, roller skates...). They are private security hired by the IWM and the County Council. The police are NOT enforcing the road closure but have been asked by the land owner to move on anyone on the south airfield boundary fields. I told (but can't confirm) that a 7' fence has been place round the main Naughty field

benji1867

Post by benji1867 » Sat May 24, 2014 6:16 pm

Viper28 wrote:
Gary wrote:Apparently there is security at each end of Grange Road stopping people going down :lol:
Correct there is security at both ends of Grange Road this year who are actively stopping people going down the road (on foot, car, bike, roller skates...). They are private security hired by the IWM and the County Council. The police are NOT enforcing the road closure but have been asked by the land owner to move on anyone on the south airfield boundary fields. I told (but can't confirm) that a 7' fence has been place round the main Naughty field
Has anyone got any shots from the outside from anywhere? id be intrigued to see how it went

Ben
Ben - UP THE OWLS

Instagram - @benji1867

flickr - https://www.flickr.com/photos/benji1867/

stealth117

Post by stealth117 » Sat May 24, 2014 7:49 pm

Having been today I can confirm there was security at the end of the road but they did not stop us going down the road, it was only when we got to the m11 bridge that two police bikers that were parked up on the bridge stopped us and told us that we weren't allowed into the main naughty field anymore due to health and safety set by the CAA but we could however go and sit in the field where the aircraft were coming in to land over the top of you (not sure why this is any different really) I did ask them why duxford was different to the likes of say Fairford but they said that the display area at fairford is different to duxford and if anything went wrong that it wouldn't be as dangerous/less people could be harmed at fairford as the display area is further away. I did explain about rhymes and totterdown that they display right over your head but they didn't really have much to say once I said that apart from they had been told that duxford had said that the displays at duxford would not take place anymore if people continue to use the naughty field :whistle:
However once we walked back round to this field and set up the shelter we looked up onto the m11 bridge to see that the police had gone and a few people had started to go across to the naughty field, they didn't seem to go quite as far into the field as normal though but I couldn't see over to the mound in the naughty field so don't know whether anyone made it on to the mound (anyone able to confirm if anyone got on the mound?)

All seems a load of rubbish in my opinion, trying to get more people through the gate (if the ticket price was less then I believe they would get more people in) also if people want to put themselves at risk in the naughty field that's their own choice.

Martin

Martin.

Post by Martin. » Sat May 24, 2014 7:51 pm

I have been today.

Grange road is fenced BUT FOR CARS ONLY.

I cycled and had no problem with the guards at each end. Towards Duxford end there were plenty of people who walked. The guards arent stopping anyone and a Policeman even pulled the barrier futher apart so I could cycle through! The Duxford runway end naughty field was also fully functional with 50+ people in various places. School was open and quite busy. Dont believe everything you read on the internet people!

Pen Pusher

Post by Pen Pusher » Sat May 24, 2014 8:26 pm

Thanks for owning up gents. Someone to blame now when the CAA ban the Duxford shows because of people under the display line. :D

Brian

drumsey

Post by drumsey » Sat May 24, 2014 8:54 pm

I've never used the naughty field but I really don't buy the idea of areas being significantly greater or lesser risk from accidents than others.

If an accident did occur resulting in loss of control of the aircraft or unconsciousness of a pilot there is absolutely no telling where that aircraft could crash land. In some respects you're probably safer in a more open space where you could at least run away than finding yourself trapped in a crowded area.

If people choose to stay outside the fence and it's understandable why they would do that then that should be their business and no concerns to others.

Darren

Blue Diamond

Post by Blue Diamond » Sat May 24, 2014 11:43 pm

stealth117 wrote:Having been today I can confirm there was security at the end of the road but they did not stop us going down the road, it was only when we got to the m11 bridge that two police bikers that were parked up on the bridge stopped us and told us that we weren't allowed into the main naughty field anymore due to health and safety set by the CAA but we could however go and sit in the field where the aircraft were coming in to land over the top of you (not sure why this is any different really) I did ask them why duxford was different to the likes of say Fairford but they said that the display area at fairford is different to duxford and if anything went wrong that it wouldn't be as dangerous/less people could be harmed at fairford as the display area is further away. I did explain about rhymes and totterdown that they display right over your head but they didn't really have much to say once I said that apart from they had been told that duxford had said that the displays at duxford would not take place anymore if people continue to use the naughty field :whistle:
However once we walked back round to this field and set up the shelter we looked up onto the m11 bridge to see that the police had gone and a few people had started to go across to the naughty field, they didn't seem to go quite as far into the field as normal though but I couldn't see over to the mound in the naughty field so don't know whether anyone made it on to the mound (anyone able to confirm if anyone got on the mound?)

All seems a load of rubbish in my opinion, trying to get more people through the gate (if the ticket price was less then I believe they would get more people in) also if people want to put themselves at risk in the naughty field that's their own choice.

Martin
Some mates of mine went today and went towards the naughty field. Security guards didn't stop them nor did the police. They say that they never saw anyone on the mound all the while they were there but the concrete area on the southern edge of the naughty field, where they ended up, was quite busy.
Fighting 92 - The King Cobras
http://www.92squadron.org.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.92squadron.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

POL

Post by POL » Sun May 25, 2014 7:55 am

Pen Pusher wrote:Someone to blame now when the CAA ban the Duxford shows because of people under the display line. :D
Amazing that the CAA are singling out Duxford in this respect, isn't it? Not Waddington, or Fairford, or any other airfield where displays take place with people under the display line / under the approach / etc.

Also, for those in the naughty field that are after the serial on the Apache, it's ZJ188 :)

stealth117

Post by stealth117 » Sun May 25, 2014 8:00 am

Pen Pusher wrote:Thanks for owning up gents. Someone to blame now when the CAA ban the Duxford shows because of people under the display line. :D

Brian
Hi brian, you can blame who you like mate theres always going to be someone watching from the outside. And theres been people watching in the naughty field for years so why the CAA has now thought it to be a problem is ridiculous especially when you can still stand in the field with them coming in to land over your head and parts of the display are over that field aswell anyway :S

Lets see how long it is before we can blame everybody in rhymes and totterdown for cancelling fairford shows :P

Martin

Blue Diamond

Post by Blue Diamond » Sun May 25, 2014 8:58 am

EGCC wrote:
Pen Pusher wrote:Someone to blame now when the CAA ban the Duxford shows because of people under the display line. :D
Amazing that the CAA are singling out Duxford in this respect, isn't it? Not Waddington, or Fairford, or any other airfield where displays take place with people under the display line / under the approach / etc.

Also, for those in the naughty field that are after the serial on the Apache, it's ZJ188 :)
Quite. Anyway, the Campaign Against Aviation would find another reason even if nobody went in the naughty field.
Fighting 92 - The King Cobras
http://www.92squadron.org.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.92squadron.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Scuba 11

Post by Scuba 11 » Sun May 25, 2014 9:15 am

With the internal restructure and lack of resources. I would think the naughty field issues isn't on the top of the CAA list of things to do............

lmgaylard

Post by lmgaylard » Sun May 25, 2014 9:19 am

EGCC wrote:

It has been the case that the 'Sheep field' at the end of Rwy 27 at Yeovilton has been restricted in recent years and last year it was closed totally to the public, on safety grounds apparently.
1st time it had ever been closed on air day as far as I know. :grr:
'its a lot less bover in the hover'

POL

Post by POL » Sun May 25, 2014 9:41 am

EGCC wrote:Also, for those in the naughty field that are after the serial on the Apache, it's ZJ188 :)
ZJ173 is also present :)

Grahame W

Post by Grahame W » Sun May 25, 2014 7:12 pm

Is the "naughty field" the same as the Mound on the south side? I noticed that there were loads of people on the Mound today.
Grahame W

Tiger 1

Post by Tiger 1 » Sun May 25, 2014 7:24 pm

Hi everyone

ZJ188 was in static with all the other Army kit on display between the hangars on Saturday.

Hope this helps

T1

C-Harvey

Post by C-Harvey » Mon May 26, 2014 7:20 am

Grange Road, from the A508 to the private security barrier was wall-to-wall private vehicles yesterday. The security personnel at the barrier were very friendly and soon ran out of handouts stating how dangerous it was to stand in the area under performing aircraft.
I spoke to 30 or so people who walked or cycled passed the security barrier and none of them had read this forum.
The only differences for this visit over my previous ones was that there was the private security rather than police and more vehicles on Grange Road.
The only problem is that some people can pay the high ticket price and many cannot. Children are free (entry) but unless parents have more than £50 spare, they can only see the aircraft from a distance. As it was commemorating D-Day, perhaps the price of one adult and children could have been lower.
As I once said to one of my agents, "To get the business we must reduce our price. That means both of us must make less to stay in business. 3% of something is better than 5% of nothing. "
Contribute to the Show costs or not; trespass at your own risk; enjoy the aircraft whilst they are still flying, I enjoyed what I saw.
Just my view of the issue, if indeed there is one! An issue, that is. :thumb: :clap: :halo:
Remember; learn by rote. ;-)

Snowy55

Post by Snowy55 » Mon May 26, 2014 8:21 am

I'm over from Australia and we went on Sunday. I have to say what a pleasure it was to drive in without queues and park up right near the fence. We arrived just before 12. This has to be the best organised car parking at an air show I have experienced. The weather was perfect, great air displays and a well behaved crowd. We waited 50 minutes at the end before departing and it took only ten minutes to get onto the road. Well done IWM Duxford.

Return to “Duxford Shows”