Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Flying Legends 2017 - 8th & 9th July 2017

Post information relating to any Duxford show here.
Gary
Administrator

Flying Legends 2017 - 8th & 9th July 2017

Post by Gary » Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:30 am

Confirmed participants so far

Grumman Bearcat F8F G-RUMM
Grumman Wildcat FM-2 G-RUMW
Curtiss-Wright P-36C G-CIXJ
Curtiss-Wright Hawk 75 G-CCVH
Curtiss-Wright P.40C G-CIIO
Curtiss-Wright Warhawk P40F G-CGZP
Goodyear Corsair FG-1D G-FGID
Supermarine Spitfire LFVb EP120 G-LFVB
Hawker Nimrod MkI G-BWWK
Gloster Gladiator G-GLAD
de Havilland Comet (G-ACSS)
Percival Mew Gull (G-AEXF)
Travel Air Type R “Mystery Ship” (G-TATR)

https://www.flyinglegends.com/ https://www.facebook.com/FlyingLegendsOfficial/?fref=ts

At least no clash with RIAT this year
Posh are going to Wembley (albeit for a tin cup)

Droptank

Re: Flying Legends 2017 - 8th & 9th July 2017

Post by Droptank » Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:50 pm

Guys.

Where's all the rhetoric, rumour, truth and speculation about Legends gone?

Droptank.

Gary
Administrator

Post by Gary » Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:03 pm

Seems quiet on the Legends front this year, most of the focus has been on the bomber deployment and RIAT

P-51 ' Berlin Express ' is on their way. Can be tracked here http://www.horsemenflight.com/
Posh are going to Wembley (albeit for a tin cup)

Droptank

Post by Droptank » Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:26 pm

You're right about the focus of attention being on Fairford/RIAT, RIAT does look like it's going to be fantastic though to be fair!

I've seen the Berlin Express info, strangely there isn't a mention about Duxford on the notice but guess it is an Air Force announcement focusing on the Heritage Flight.

I understand it's doing its thing with an Eagle at RIAT which will be very poignant if not a little moving.

It will be interesting to see how Ben Dunnell (presuming he's commentating this year) handles that sort of thing in comparison to
how Sean Maffet used to do it which was humble, very touching and well delivered.

It's all a bit worrying in my mind at Duxford at the mo and not sure what the answer is to be honest- if Legends doesn't attract a huge crowd this year
what will they do next?- let's hope they have a solution rather than hiking prices up or charging for something else like they did with car parking.

I really don't think advance ticketing works in the case of Duxford for some reason and have heard stories about families being turned back at the gate
if they turned up without a ticket- not sure how true that is, crazy if it is.

Shuttleworth, which is obviously in the same catchment area for families as Duxford, is thriving and that may be something to do with it I suppose and
at most times you can pay on arrival there, sit by your car and have a jolly old time watching vintage aircraft displays at very close quarters....just like Duxford
used to be!

It's amazing that this thread has NO comments on it just longer than a week before the show don't you think?

Is that a sign of some sorts?

Hopefully not.

Droptank.

jem60

Post by jem60 » Thu Jun 29, 2017 5:54 am

Duxford, just like RIAT has it's permanent devotees. There are people going to RIAT who wouldn't go to Duxford and vice versa, simply because the two shows are completely different, although I do have friends who do both. I would suggest that Legends is more for the older spectator, who can remember a lot of the aircraft when they were in service, and the museum attracts more people too. Remember that Legends is not run by the IWM, but is simply Stephen Grey's show, whereby he can finance his wonderful collection of Warbirds, and have them flown for our pleasure. Without him and the Fighter Collection, the Warbird movement in this country would be much poorer.
I agree with the comments re advanced tickets. It has certainly driven people away. Sadly, this ticketing was a result of Shoreham, and I believe was forced on the by a Police request that they must know how many people are attending, because having stationary traffic on the M.11 on the approach is now a no-no. This is my understanding of the situation. Costs, of course, always rise, and I have no doubt that post Shoreham, insurance premiums have increased mightily. Still, we have the choice. Go and pay the price, or not as you wish.
I confess I only attend the rehearsal days these days, having been to shows there for 50 odd years. My wife [Teresa] retired from the FOD tent last year, no doubt having served quite a few of you with tea and coffee etc. over the last nine years. I cannot therefore use the Staff Car Park any more, nor do I get a free ticket now, and to me. at 75, although I am still fit and well, it is a lot of hassle to see a show that is little different to the previous years. Y'all have a good one, whichever one you choose to go to.Regards, John.

niklas

Post by niklas » Fri Jun 30, 2017 5:45 am

Hi every one, new member :)

1st time for me at flying legends, hoping for a great show. I'm mostly there for taking photos, can anyone recomend me a good spot? Never been to Duxford before.

Sorry for my bad English, i'm from Sweden :)

Also..i have a weekend pass but i'm thinking if there is any other place i should visit on the sunday, any RAF bases that is worth visiting on a sunday?

Thanks

Niklas

jem60

Post by jem60 » Fri Jun 30, 2017 7:35 am

Hi, Niklas. I can assure you that your English is far far better than my Swedish!!. Welcome. If this is your first visit, you will love it. There is a huge amount to see. Viewing wise for photography, I would recommend the motorway [east] end. Lots of wing down passes. Lakenheath and Mildenhall are not too far away, but little or no flying at Week-ends. I do hope you enjoy your visit. Regards, John. :)

sft

Post by sft » Fri Jun 30, 2017 8:13 am

Hello Niklas, Mildenhall usually opens at 0930 on Sunday and there is usually some activity - mostly in the morning.

niklas

Post by niklas » Fri Jun 30, 2017 9:10 am

John, thank you, and i'm sure i will, lets hope for no rain :) ! The the location u suggest, is this on the outside of the show area or is it in the area close to the air space hall around the black no 1 or 2 spot at this map:

@sft, thanks alot, i'll do a quick visit to Mildenhall in the morning first, then perhaps IWM in London or back to Duxford, well se :)

bizfreeq

Post by bizfreeq » Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:04 am

You want to be in the black2 area up to red1, at least that's where I usually go!
Cheers
Mark

If our airforces are never used, they have achieved their finest goal.
— General Nathan F. Twining

raffaroo

Post by raffaroo » Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:59 am

hi niklas, unfortunately Mildenhall is NOTAMED shut until Wednesday 5th mate
"I love the sound of NAPALM in the morning"

niklas

Post by niklas » Fri Jun 30, 2017 12:06 pm

Thanks /Niklas
bizfreeq wrote:You want to be in the black2 area up to red1, at least that's where I usually go!

niklas

Post by niklas » Fri Jun 30, 2017 12:07 pm

Ah, ok, well to bad but at least i know right :-)

raffaroo wrote:hi niklas, unfortunately Mildenhall is NOTAMED shut until Wednesday 5th mate

Droptank

Post by Droptank » Fri Jun 30, 2017 1:25 pm

Hi Niklas.

Since you have a weekend pass for the show, I would actually use it on both days and position yourself in a different place each day.

The show will be slightly different each day anyhow so it would be wise to maximise the opportunity.

It may be an idea to go where you suggested at the Eastern end on the Saturday and the maybe closer to where the aircraft taxi on the Sunday, offering different photo opportunities.

If all else fails, go in on the Sunday and do the museums and hangars which have a fantastic collection of aircraft to look at and photograph, I don't see much point in
going to Mildenhall as it will be fairly quiet.

Whatever you decide to do, have a great time and let us know how it goes and what you think of your first Flying Legends!

Droptank.

Ross Forsyth

Post by Ross Forsyth » Fri Jun 30, 2017 1:32 pm

niklas wrote:Ah, ok, well to bad but at least i know right :-)

raffaroo wrote:hi niklas, unfortunately Mildenhall is NOTAMED shut until Wednesday 5th mate
Just to make sure this closure is BEFORE you go to Duxford as Mildenhall/Lakenheath will have a wee thing going on the previous day (4th of July) so shouldn`t affect any plan you had for visiting Mildenhall on the Sunday if thats what you want to do,however
as Droptank suggests I`d make use of the 2 days at Legends,move around and try different locations,you may see something from the show on the Saturday that might work better photographically from the opposite end so you can relocate the next day?
I`ll be making the most of the 2 days and hoping the weather is fair for both :P

niklas

Post by niklas » Fri Jun 30, 2017 6:41 pm

ah, missed that, thanks :), we will se how the weekend playes out, perhaps you are right. I always try and fit a bit to much in my schedules, especially on these "no wife or kids" trips :)

Ross Forsyth

Post by Ross Forsyth » Sat Jul 01, 2017 8:07 pm

niklas wrote:ah, missed that, thanks :), we will se how the weekend playes out, perhaps you are right. I always try and fit a bit to much in my schedules, especially on these "no wife or kids" trips :)
I don`t blame you trying to fit extra locations in,you can always make it to Mildenhall in the evening of the Saturday or Sunday if it`s just aircraft you want to see on the ground,as you say if you "fill your boots" on the Saturday then you may feel
the need to go elsewhere :P

Enjoy the weekend whatever you end up doing.

plmc135

Post by plmc135 » Tue Jul 04, 2017 8:47 am

For anyone anticipating the arrival of Berlin Express at Duxford this morning, the support Beech 350 is currently showing on FR24 tracking down the East Coast at FL062 just passing Alnwick. Presumably the P-51 is in formation with it or very close by.

Droptank

Post by Droptank » Fri Jul 07, 2017 12:23 pm

Hi Niklas, not sure where you'll be staying whilst visiting the UK/Duxford but since you are a "free agent"..i.e. no family with you, another great thing to fill your time in the evening would be to go to the pub!!!

Strictly as an aviation experience of course, "The Eagle" Pub, in the centre of Cambridge, opposite the University (Kings College I think) has a lot of history, related to the bomber squadrons based in East Anglia during WWII.

There are numerous paintings etc and the ceiling is adorned with messages from bomber crews that served valiantly with the USAAF during WWII.

It's a very moving place to visit, particularly as no doubt many of the aircrew who contributed to the ceiling graphics made the ultimate sacrifice.

The beer is also great and food available.

Have a look!...I was mightily impressed when I visited a few years ago.

Regards.

Droptank.

Usernamegoeshere

Post by Usernamegoeshere » Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:55 pm

so what plane or planes are people really wanting to see at Duxford ? personally the Red Arrows do it for me, the rest ive seen many times before..thats the problem with Duxford the shows seem the same year after year

Return to “Duxford Shows”