Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Duxford September Airshow 2016

Post information relating to any Duxford show here.

XPLUMBER

Re: Duxford September Airshow 2016

Post by XPLUMBER » Fri Sep 09, 2016 2:40 pm

Thanks Brian
CANONs carried by an ARMOURER!

hangars are for shirts!

Pen Pusher

Post by Pen Pusher » Fri Sep 09, 2016 6:28 pm

Pyrotechnics crew setting up on the far side of the airfield for the First World War Fighter set piece with flash/wizz/bangs I was told. :D

Brian

jem60

Post by jem60 » Fri Sep 09, 2016 9:07 pm

Very good line-up for both days. My problem really is not so much with Duxford, but the fact is, that for me, there is nothing here that I have not been seeing for many years. I don't take pictures or video any more, and I have been getting in free, courtesy of my wife who used to work in the F.O.D. Tent, but has now called it a day after 9 years. Do I feel like forking out £25 plus for what amounts [for me] a constant replay, no. Not Duxford's fault at all. I shall still attend the rehearsal days to see my friends, but doubt that I shall be 'airshowing 'again. Lovely memories, and some sad and tragic ones, but I hope all who attend have a good one. Regards, John.

MRTT

Post by MRTT » Fri Sep 09, 2016 9:43 pm

What's the chance of seeing anything fly tomorrow?

MRTT

Post by MRTT » Sat Sep 10, 2016 6:33 pm

Excellent show today despite the weather, Gladiator was darn low at some points!

Tinker Toy

Post by Tinker Toy » Sat Sep 10, 2016 7:18 pm

I agree, very good day despite the weather. That Gladiator display was wonderful, very low but deliberately so. The on the ground activities were fantastic, great talks by Col. Rich Graham and the Two Tornado chaps, all round very good. Looking forward to tomorrow, the two day ticket is quite the deal.

MRTT

Post by MRTT » Sat Sep 10, 2016 7:24 pm

For those wondering, this is what we got today.

TFC Bearcat & Air Leasing Fury
The Global Stars
Extra EA.330SC Solo
Catalina
Buchon x2 & Spitfire x2
Harvard & Chipmunk x2
Gladiator

colt99

Post by colt99 » Sun Sep 11, 2016 9:00 pm

Had Sunday at Duxford, and really enjoyed it.
Lucky to have the weather that others did not on Saturday so feel lucky from that point of view.
Bought a ticket before Sea Vixen cancelled and rumours of other aircraft not displaying had established themselves.
Arrived at about 6.45 and queued for the ticket booths near the tank museum, entered airfield prompt at 7.30, spent lots of money buying books and patches, then back to the car on the front row to have breakfast which I provided myself.
Duxford seem to be displaying pairs or more, is this because they are further away? but it worked with my photos.
Very happy to see the Lancaster again, Spitfire formation was excellent, Harvard was too far away for my own enjoyment.
Had a chat with the Victor guys, very informative about what they have done/will be doing. Said it is planned to be a 5 year project, and to disappoint some, the plan seems not to involve anti-flash white at the end.
The Swordfish did not show, anyone know why, is she OK or was it just weather related?
Overall, a good day, made better by the weather.
Not sure on future Duxford shows, I live near Stansted and get free access to the museum on non-show days so £30 for a 4 hour show of "regular acts" is steep for me, but never say never, so not sure.
Now enjoying a beer after a warbird filled very happy day.

MRTT

Post by MRTT » Sun Sep 11, 2016 9:23 pm

Excellent show on both days, today clearly the better!

Swordfish was never due, confirmed by the Navy Wings tent yesterday.

Have to agree, thought both the Harvard & Buchon Pair were rather far away, last topside was excellent though!

Doughnut

Post by Doughnut » Mon Sep 12, 2016 2:04 pm

Why no P-51's. If locally based aircraft are un-serviceable, look elsewhere, spend a bit of the admission fee on suitable acts, especially as some pre planned items had already cancelled.

bizfreeq

Post by bizfreeq » Mon Sep 12, 2016 2:42 pm

Perhaps the other P51s had other commitments this weekend, after all they are usually booked up well in advance. There are myriad other reasons....too expensive, they have finished their seasons, in planned maintenance at this end of the year and so on. A show can't be condemned on a type being absent especially as none of us are privy to what has gone on behind the scenes.
Cheers
Mark

If our airforces are never used, they have achieved their finest goal.
— General Nathan F. Twining

ajson

Post by ajson » Thu Sep 15, 2016 7:51 pm

Hi all,
was there on the Saturday - mostly avoided the rain ... great aero display ... was my first time there and I made the unfortunate decision to get a 'Gold' pass ... thought it might add a bit of comfort to the proceedings ... turns out the only thing it gave was some clean loo's ... other than that there was no indoor seating available (badly, badly oversold) and not even a cuppa available without spending £20 on a cold buffet .. wont make that mistake again, but nonetheless enjoyed what there was of the show and of course the hangars loaded with great and interesting exhibits!

Return to “Duxford Shows”