Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Waddington Airshow permanently cancelled

Please post movements and activities to do with RAF Waddington here
Mayfly
Location: 20 minutes from Coningsby, 25 from Waddington, 20 from Cranwell

Re: Waddington Airshow permanently cancelled

Post by Mayfly » Mon Sep 28, 2015 4:04 pm

I'm sad about that John but it's not totally unexpected. :(
Aviation Heritage Lincolnshire

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SorF3zlsnm4

Mayfly

Post by Mayfly » Mon Sep 28, 2015 4:27 pm

I really hope so, call me defeatist but I can't see the MOD spending large amounts just for an air show venue - perhaps they have something in mind too :unsure:

Thunder

Post by Thunder » Mon Sep 28, 2015 4:31 pm

With RC-135 and the MQ-9's now at Waddington it's hardly surprising. What's the story with Scampton then, why would display a/c have to launch from Coningsby or Waddington?

Skoshi

RAF Waddington 2016 Air Show in doubt

Post by Skoshi » Mon Sep 28, 2015 4:58 pm

http://thelincolnite.co.uk/2015/09/raf- ... -for-good/

well it was fun while it lasted....
Steve...

3 miles south of EGNT
UBC780XLT,UBC-800XLT,UBC-3500,MVT-7100,Aor8200Mk3
PP (BX), SBS-1
Pen and Paper

Thor

Post by Thor » Mon Sep 28, 2015 4:59 pm

Thunder wrote:With RC-135 and the MQ-9's now at Waddington it's hardly surprising. What's the story with Scampton then, why would display a/c have to launch from Coningsby or Waddington?
It's due to the state of the north side of the airfield (apart from HHA's compound) apparently being unsuitable to operate anything above a certain size/weight from. Likewise, there are similar challenges on the taxiways southside from what I'm reliably informed.

Sylar

Post by Sylar » Mon Sep 28, 2015 5:42 pm

Scampton makes good sense, it's got a long recently (2012) resurfaced runway and it's not particularly busy so wouldnt displace any operational traffic plus my mate lives there.

Cheers

Shane
Still searching for the master shot.

Gary
Administrator

Post by Gary » Mon Sep 28, 2015 6:07 pm

Shane

The runway might have been relaid in 2012, but there is already a NOTAM out saying part of the runway is unusable. Shouldn't affect the use of the runway at at the moment

Parent ICAO: EGXP
Start date/time: 15/07/2015 08:13 UTC
End date/time: 15/10/2015 17:00 UTC
Activity period: null
Lower height limit: 000
Upper height limit: 999

DEGREDATION OF THE FIRST 100M OF BOTH EDGES OF RWY 22 AND LAST
100M OF RWY 04 PILOTS ARE REQUESTED TO USE CENTRELINE.
Posh are going to Wembley (albeit for a tin cup)

Sylar

Post by Sylar » Mon Sep 28, 2015 6:24 pm

Wonder it's it's still under warranty!

Cheers

Shane
Still searching for the master shot.

jaydean

Post by jaydean » Mon Sep 28, 2015 8:43 pm

Comes as no surprise whatsoever. There were many that said it was the last Waddo during the last show, including me. the MoD have been so non committal about its future, and that spoke volumes. It may be pessimistic, but it feels like they're throwing us a bone with the Scampton thing to soften the blow, then tell us its not viable to hold it there at a later date. My feeling is that Cosford will be the RAF show of the future. I hope i'm wrong

TonyO

Post by TonyO » Mon Sep 28, 2015 8:44 pm

Scampton seems like an ideal location if the infrastructure issues can be resolved. Have to agree with Thunder, this was probably inevitable with so many secretive and US-controlled platforms now in place at Waddington, not to mention the potential of a US RC-135 Forward Operating Base.
You want the Aladeen news, or the Aladeen news?

Razor01

Post by Razor01 » Mon Sep 28, 2015 11:25 pm

Leeming - logistically ideal just off A1 and only 6 miles from me!!!!!!! :thumb:

Doughnut

Post by Doughnut » Tue Sep 29, 2015 7:43 am

Guess the RAF are getting out the airshow business, they neither have the bases, the aircraft, the money, or the personal. RIAT are the only permanent team organising big airshow events, smaller teams and event exist maybe time for those teams to step their game, but its a hard game to play, and win.

Rockstar

Post by Rockstar » Tue Sep 29, 2015 11:32 am

When all squadrons arrive back at Waddington following the ongoing works it will (arguably) house all of the RAFs most secretive (and perhaps in some cases contentious) units and you have to admit that 140,000 people aimlessly wandering around must be a security nightmare. So it is understandable.

It is a shame as it has provided some real gems over the years. Only UK appearances of Singapore A4s and Israeli F-15Is, and first UK displays by a F-117 and the Black Eagles are perhaps some of the stand outs amongst some great participants.

It obviously remains to be seen what happens with Scampton. As has been alluded to there are several logistical issues to overcome to make it work. I had heard rumours, and I stress they are only rumours, that when the work is done at Waddington then Cranwell, Coningsby and Scampton were also in the pipeline to follow on for 'runway' maintenance. This may be one of the reasons that 2017 is being cited as the earliest Scampton could host the show.

There were several years that Waddington suffered significant traffic issues. The close proximity of the Lincolnshire Showground to Scampton (which could easily accommodate around 12-15,000 vehicles) could be an ideal park and ride venue and may help in easing some of the potential congestion concerns. I would imagine the availability of University accommodation will also remain a key factor as to when it would be held.

Last time I attended a Scampton airshow was back in 1989 for the Red Arrows 25th Anniversary so logistically it is possible to hold a show here.

If you really feel strongly about the loss of Waddington and wish for Bomber County to still retain an international airshow then there is a petition here;

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/the- ... ncolnshire

thelad

Post by thelad » Tue Sep 29, 2015 6:58 pm

Barkston Heath gets my vote :thumb:

C24

Post by C24 » Wed Sep 30, 2015 4:42 pm

Siting an airshow at RAF Scampton using the showground as park & ride sounds like an nightmare, even supposing space is available for static a/c & display aircraft dispersal, which seems unlikely to me.
Mind you, I can cope with five hours watching RAFAT practising. :whistle:

RAF Wittering would be a possibility.

Is it accurate that the runway works at RAF Waddington will be finished...? Also, is anything currently using Waddo ?
Back to my cell :D
C24.
493d/48th - Grim Reapers Supporter.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/charlie-two-four/ FuzzyFastjetFotos, incorporating "HazyHelos"
There's no "go-round" in a glider.

peasus911

Post by peasus911 » Wed Sep 30, 2015 5:05 pm

Cottesmore was used for RIAT when they resurfaced Fairford.....

Rockstar

Post by Rockstar » Thu Oct 01, 2015 11:52 am

C24 wrote:Siting an airshow at RAF Scampton using the showground as park & ride sounds like an nightmare, even supposing space is available for static a/c & display aircraft dispersal, which seems unlikely to me.
I don't disagree regarding Park and Ride at this location but I bet this will be one of the offers if they are genuinely seeking resolution to some of the logistical issues. Those cynics amongst us however, may say that Scampton has only been suggested to soften the blow around the demise of Waddington and to offer some hope to the local economy. Two years is long enough to decide the infrastructure issues cannot be overcome and the RAF airshow becomes a thing of the past. I hope I am wrong.

I am not sure on the worth of still speculating about other bases. The article seemed fairly explicit;

"The Royal Air Force has said an extensive survey of alternative sites in the East of England has been carried out and it has decided that it would be possible to hold an air show at RAF Scampton"

I interpret that as it is Scampton or nowhere – well for the 'East of England' at least.

Pushing Tin

Post by Pushing Tin » Wed Oct 07, 2015 1:45 pm

thelad wrote:Barkston Heath gets my vote :thumb:
Worst choice.

I'd be surprised if it ended up at scampton long term with its flying demise scheduled for 2020.

reheat module

Post by reheat module » Thu Oct 08, 2015 2:00 pm

The potential traffic logistics with Scampton would be horrendous.
Waddington was bad enough with the A15 and A607 being choked (I had direct working with the Police for the weekends), just image the chaos on the A15 from north of Caenby Corner all the way to the A46 Bypass with the Scampton option.
That weekend would make The M25 look positively troublefree...
Last edited by reheat module on Thu Oct 08, 2015 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
UK ONS CPI Rate checker for Sept every year... :whistle:

Mayfly

Post by Mayfly » Thu Oct 08, 2015 3:29 pm

I don't believe there will ever be an air show at Scampton.

edit because I forgot where Scampton was - :Oops:

Return to “RAF Waddington”