Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Park and view East or West for RIAT departures?

Post information relating to the Royal International Air Tattoo here.
BenLuck

Park and view East or West for RIAT departures?

Post by BenLuck » Fri Apr 25, 2014 6:13 pm

Hello all,

I am planning to do RIAT departures this year, I am not sure if I should use park and view East or West? Has anyone had experiences and also has anyone got any examples of images for either of these locations as well?

Cheers, Ben

perky

Re: Park and view East or West for RIAT departures?

Post by perky » Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:00 pm

Hi Ben,

I have only been to P&V East. runway 27 was being used for departures . These were some shots i took from there.

Obviously, if 09 had been in use i would have probably gone up to the west P&V.

ImageZZ413 22.07.13 by G.Perkin, on Flickr

Image10-25_EGVA_22.07.13 by G.Perkin, on Flickr

Hope that helps

Graham

nick197

Post by nick197 » Sat Apr 26, 2014 6:57 am

Here's a few from park and view west, All flying shots taken with a 300mm lens. From what i've heard the west end is a lot more relaxed than P+V east, I've only ever done p+v West.
Mirage F1 Departure by R.S. Photography, Thanks for 260k+ views, on Flickr

German Tornado Departure by R.S. Photography, Thanks for 260k+ views, on Flickr

Portuguese Casa by R.S. Photography, Thanks for 260k+ views, on Flickr

Danes show boating by R.S. Photography, Thanks for 260k+ views, on Flickr

chrisfg1

Post by chrisfg1 » Sat Apr 26, 2014 11:31 am

Done east and west over the years - much prefer west. The eastern end always feels like a paparazzi scramble to get shots. West is a lot more civilized and on an incline so there is less need to be at the front. Mind you, the light can be a bit of a problem early in the morning.

RS2

Post by RS2 » Sat Apr 26, 2014 4:41 pm

Always go to the west for departures and normally just sit towards the back. Never used to be an issue as it was always very relaxed but have noticed at the last three departures I have been photo bombed by people on the front row who still insist on standing on steps / ladders. With it being such a small area relative to the East I wished they would bring in a demarcation line for steps ladders etc.

BenLuck

Post by BenLuck » Sat Apr 26, 2014 4:51 pm

Thanks for all the replies, much appreciated! :thumb: I think i will go for the West park and view!

Gary
Administrator

Post by Gary » Sun Apr 27, 2014 12:01 am

I've done P&V East once, hopefully never to be repeated :whistle: we stayed out of the way but it was a total scrum to get the corner. People getting up a stupid o'clock to get in the queue :lol: One of the reasons I've done FRIAT ever since
Posh BSM Trophy winners 2024

MRTT

Post by MRTT » Sun Apr 27, 2014 7:07 am

Gary wrote:I've done P&V East once, hopefully never to be repeated :whistle: we stayed out of the way but it was a total scrum to get the corner. People getting up a stupid o'clock to get in the queue :lol: One of the reasons I've done FRIAT ever since
Yep agree with Gary here, did P&V east a few years ago and it will NEVER be repeated, will do FRIAT from now on.

tim_raper

Post by tim_raper » Sun Apr 27, 2014 11:32 am

unfortunately the world is full of those that are selfish and have no thought for anyone else, and some of them are found at the front of the enclosure with no obstacles in front of them, standing on steps.

Pune

Post by Pune » Sun Apr 27, 2014 12:48 pm

tim_raper wrote:unfortunately the world is full of those that are selfish and have no thought for anyone else, and some of them are found at the front of the enclosure with no obstacles in front of them, standing on steps.
Couldn't agree more, selfish people are everywhere, maybe we should all e-mail RIAT and ask for separate step ladder enclosure for those that ruin it for others, they can then spoilt it for themselves...just a thought, I'm game.
If you can keep your head whilst all around are losing theirs, you have probably completely misread the situation!!

Gary
Administrator

Post by Gary » Sun Apr 27, 2014 1:23 pm

The whole issue could be resolved by implementing and exclusion zone at the front, like they do on the airfield it's self. Without the need for a dedicated step ladder enclosure. But that would need someone to go round and enforce it.

I wish anyone going to P&V East the best of luck unless you're one of the ladder brigade :whistle: :lol:
Posh BSM Trophy winners 2024

Paulo

Post by Paulo » Sun Apr 27, 2014 3:42 pm

I suppose it depends on what type of day you want, I take my 67yo dad and we stand back at the East end so he can see and hear the planes we'll enough and I get closer to the front to take photos.

I've never tried the west end, this year will be my first RIAT with a 500mm lens so might give it a go.

binbrook87

Post by binbrook87 » Sun Apr 27, 2014 4:43 pm

West end every time, can even sit at the back with the car and take photos of most of the departures if you have a decent enough reach on your lens. Tried the east end for an hour last year and moved to the west after an hour.....because i found it waaaay too crammed and waaaay too many steps! :@

BenLuck

Post by BenLuck » Sun Apr 27, 2014 6:25 pm

Thanks for all the replies once again! :) Also is it £20 per person for entry to the park and view areas or per car? Thanks Ben

POL

Post by POL » Sun Apr 27, 2014 6:32 pm

Last year I turned up at P&V East 20 minutes after gates opened, drove in with no issues, parked up, walked to the fence and set up camp in the corner nearest the Vulcan with some very friendly Dutchmen!

Never understood what all the fuss is about, will probably do the same this year!

Sooty

Post by Sooty » Thu Jun 04, 2015 4:43 pm

Maybe in the East P&V on the Thursday.Shouldn't be that busy,should it? lol

Sooty.

Return to “RIAT”